Embossing rivets in O gauge

I recently acquired an old O gauge College kit for a rebuilt Patriot/ Jubilee. Actually the frames are not like the Jubilee so lets say rebuilt Patriot. The kit had been started in that the rivets on the frames have already been punched through the half etch. The resulting rivet heads are very small and will almost certainly disappear when the model is painted. I've tried over-punching with a hand held auto center punch with the frame on a piece of card board, it makes the rivet bigger but distorts the frame. The rivet heads are about 2mm apart. Can anyone suggest a more practical system to make bigger rivet heads. I've seen a rivet embossing machine for about £70 but it looks as if its designed for plate which hasn't been half etched. Any advice would be appreciated.

For larger pieces, I just use a fine point (tip of a needle file, in fact) with the brass resting on a block of hardwood.

I tap the file with the flat of a pair of pliers; dropping them from about 1 1/2" inches above gives a reasonable "rivet head".

For more detailed work, things that would distort easily, I've a bit of flat steel bracket that I've put a couple of tiny recesses in with a small drill bit, and put lines opposite so I know where they are.

Using that underneath and the same file tip etc. works very well, as long as you get it over the recess...

Another bit of bracket nearby and some clamps works for tiny angle strips.

See the photo.

Another method (I think I invented) is, where the item is symmetrical other than the rivets, leave the recesses outward and place a solder ball in each as you apply the primer coat of paint. That gives a perfect "dome" head.

You can get solder balls in multiple sizes on ebay, packs of typically 25000 for less than £5.00

IMG_9352.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The GW models riveting press has a choice of heads and can be used with half etched kit material.

I have one and find it very useful, as the rivets come out quite even. But if you're only going to do this once or twice then perhaps rather expensive.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hello,

The GW rivet press is a brilliant piece of equipment. Even if you only used it once .I believe its value will only increase as they are uniquely manufactured by Mr GW to an extremely fine standard.

Precise lines of rivets can be created even on plain brass sheet very easily in either straight or curved forms.

trustytrev.:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1