Peco wiring issue

Rotate

Good afternoon Members. Have an OO gauge layout under DCC conditions with a Hornby Select controller. I have 12 Hornby points connected to R8243 point motors controlled via R8247 Accessory decoders which work perfectly. I also have a couple of (Hornby) high speed points and have added these to the layout, but didn't want to go to the expense of more of the same point motors and decoders so obtained 2 Peco PL-10e point motors along with PL-26 passing contact switches, and a Gaugemaster CDU. In my box of spare parts I found a Hornby R044 passing contact switch (Yellow) and connected it up, but in the process of wiring the new points managed to burn out 1 motor already as I forgot it wasn't connected via the CDU. Trying to wire them up via the differing manufacturers diagrams (and via the CDU) are proving slightly tricky, therefore I'm asking for some assistance. The diagrams from Peco and GM are attached. Do they make sense to members, because at the moment my only spare point is not working.

20191012_154436[1].jpg

20191012_154325[1].jpg

The Hornby yellow switch is not a passing contact switch, it is an On - On (changeover) switch and is therefore not suitable for solenoid point motors such as those from Peco, Hornby and Seep

Edited by smokebox
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

You may find the Hornby passing contact switch does not work very well with a CDU.

It is described accurately: a switch which passes the contact. When you switch it, you will first throw the motor the same way it is already facing. If you continue with switching the point, you will attempt to throw it in the required direction...except that the CDU will have had little chance to re-charge, so will not be very effective.

If instead you hesitate for a second at the mid-point before continuing to throw the point, you will give the CDU a chance to re-charge & will therefore see a massive improvement when the point throws.

The Peco 'passing contact' switch is more sophisticated than its name suggests. It avoids contact with the existing connection, instead throwing a spring-loaded connection which prevents the CDU discharging in the wrong direction first, allowing the full amount of stored energy to operate the point motor in the required direction.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Breaking news. . .The issue was that I had wired the CDU incorrectly as to the polarity. The particular CDU I have does not show + and - only In/Out so a 50% chance made it fail. Correcting the polarity made it work !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2019 at 23:46, Pete the Elaner said:

Hi,

You may find the Hornby passing contact switch does not work very well with a CDU.

It is described accurately: a switch which passes the contact. When you switch it, you will first throw the motor the same way it is already facing. If you continue with switching the point, you will attempt to throw it in the required direction...except that the CDU will have had little chance to re-charge, so will not be very effective.

If instead you hesitate for a second at the mid-point before continuing to throw the point, you will give the CDU a chance to re-charge & will therefore see a massive improvement when the point throws.

The Peco 'passing contact' switch is more sophisticated than its name suggests. It avoids contact with the existing connection, instead throwing a spring-loaded connection which prevents the CDU discharging in the wrong direction first, allowing the full amount of stored energy to operate the point motor in the required direction.

Very useful tip, I was given a block of these Hornby type ages ago but haven’t yet tried or fitted them. Looks like the current project may well be stud and probe control after all (like my previous layouts) rather than trying out a levers option.

Edited by john new

• 4 months later...

I can recommend the Peco point lever switch.  Once you fit them into the 6x holder you end up with a nice looking lever frame.   Note that with a crossover ladder (two points) between two tracks, you only need to use one point lever to throw both points.  The CDU will have enough grunt to fire both point motors at the same time.

My lever frame (which now controls over 20 points). 

and

The fact you can get different colours of point levers means you can group them for different sections of the layout, like main line, goods yard, enginehsed etc

How is the layout build comming along?