Hornby repairs service

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

I've had a couple of Rebuilt WC/BoBs with split gears, both of which were bought around 2008. I weathered and detailed a third one, which is still fine, but the other two were test run and then put back in their boxes pending similar weathering, until a couple of years ago, when I discovered the gear issue. Hornby's customer service dept is saying that, because these are older models. I'll have to get them repaired elsewhere, and they've given me a number to try. I'm a bit puzzled by that as they're not that old in absolute terms, and in any case the WC/BoB has been in the catalogue more recently - in fact one of the R numbers is still shown as in stock with Hornby. I'm wondering if this is a general situation with their repairs service, in that they won't look at models that are more than a few years our of production?

(I did get some replacement gears but getting deep into these WC/Bob chassis is beyond me - and one of the locos has a split gear on the main driver, so after some attempts myself I decided I'd be better off letting Hornby have a look).

• Friendly/supportive 1

Probably something to do with the models no longer being made at Sanda Kan. Cautious as to whether the parts are truly interchangeable? I remember an issue with the X8849 gear, where the shaft in the new one didn't match up to the old one....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1