Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peco N Gauge Setrack Sections and Streamline Code 55 Points Compatibility

Being relatively new to railway modelling I need some advice. I have some sets of Peco's Streamline N gauge Universal Fine turnouts (Electrofrog) and have the opportunity of get some sections of Peco's Setrack. Although I have read that the two are compatible has anyone experienced any problems joining and using Setrack sections with Streamline code 55 turnouts?

Greg

• RMweb Premium

I have a mixture of setrack and code 55 and generally speaking have not had any problems with the two together.  The only issue I seem to have is the poor quality of the fishplates lately which seem to have all the gripping power of a wet haddock and keep slipping apart!!

34 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have a mixture of setrack and code 55 and generally speaking have not had any problems with the two together.  The only issue I seem to have is the poor quality of the fishplates lately which seem to have all the gripping power of a wet haddock and keep slipping apart!!

Thank you for your response. That's good to know that you have not had any trouble with the compatibility. But I do know what you mean by the fishplates not gripping. I have the same problem. 

Thanks again. 

Greg

• RMweb Premium

The code 55 points will need packing to sit level with the set track ones. It’s not catastrophic, but something to consider.

The set track points, being 9” radius are very abrupt too, and they give much wider spacing than the code 55 points. Unless you have huge space constraints I wouldn’t use them. 

47 minutes ago, njee20 said:

The code 55 points will need packing to sit level with the set track ones. It’s not catastrophic, but something to consider.

The set track points, being 9” radius are very abrupt too, and they give much wider spacing than the code 55 points. Unless you have huge space constraints I wouldn’t use them. 

Thank you for the reply. As a project I am creating a small shelf layout. The layout is 4 feet by one foot. So which points would you recommend I use?

Greg

• RMweb Premium

It is quite possible to join the 2 together. As has been said the code 55 track will need minor packing to bring it up to the same height as the set track track. The Code 55 pointwork will look much better than the set track pointwork and being electrofrog it will allow your locos to pass over it much better than any set track pointwork. 

I personally would not consider using set track pointwork but I would combine code 55 point work and standard set track track.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Artisan said:

Thank you for the reply. As a project I am creating a small shelf layout. The layout is 4 feet by one foot. So which points would you recommend I use?

The biggest you can conceivably fit into your space for your desired track plan!

Turnouts are hugely compressed in model form, even the largest “off the shelf” items would be very tight in real life. That said, if you need set track geometry then they serve a purpose.  

17 hours ago, Kris said:

It is quite possible to join the 2 together. As has been said the code 55 track will need minor packing to bring it up to the same height as the set track track. The Code 55 pointwork will look much better than the set track pointwork and being electrofrog it will allow your locos to pass over it much better than any set track pointwork. 

I personally would not consider using set track pointwork but I would combine code 55 point work and standard set track track.  

Thank you. A great help.

Greg

3 hours ago, njee20 said:

The biggest you can conceivably fit into your space for your desired track plan!

Turnouts are hugely compressed in model form, even the largest “off the shelf” items would be very tight in real life. That said, if you need set track geometry then they serve a purpose.  

Thank you.

Greg