The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

We're Doomed

didcot

Not dissimilarly, though I wouldn't recommend eating it, there's a parisite that spends it's entire life cycle travelling between inside snails and the digestive system of birds (perhaps chickens) including transport to a new host via the medium of avian poop.

Were I not an atheist, I'd have to concur that "intelligent design" has perhaps given some creatures, great and small, a pretty crummy deal in the grand scheme of things.

C6T. 

• Agree 2

On 07/11/2019 at 20:11, Norm81 said:

I've decided a chocolate orange is a fruit, as it's an orange, right? Same goes for chocolate raisins, another of my 5-a-day :lol:

That's a good 2 of them, I take the other 3 as apples, actually apple juice, actually cider.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2019 at 17:55, Edwin_m said:

Some clever-clogs will tell you that a tomato isn't a vegetable, it's a fruit.  But all fruits are vegetables anyway.  

The difference between knowledge and wisdom - knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No, but it feels like it...

….and, sadly, most are on Social Media and there is even a group that we vote for. (I didn't say that last bit, I was forced to type it by my 'Advisor' and he is a Warrior Android).

Ar$£

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

….and, sadly, most are on Social Media and there is even a group that we vote for. (I didn't say that last bit, I was forced to type it by my 'Advisor' and he is a Warrior Android).

Ar$£

Try looking for the comments from 'the beetrooter' in Australia - excelled even his low standards today!

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:11, Norm81 said:

I've decided a chocolate orange is a fruit, as it's an orange, right? Same goes for chocolate raisins, another of my 5-a-day :lol:

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:00, johnarcher said:

That's a good 2 of them, I take the other 3 as apples, actually apple juice, actually cider.

In the interests of dietary balance don't forget that wine is simply grapes that had a good time with some yeast, slivovitz is chock full of plummy goodness, and mescal is greens, and everyone knows that greens are really good for you.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:13, Classsix T said:

...Were I not an atheist, I'd have to concur that "intelligent design" has perhaps given some creatures, great and small, a pretty crummy deal in the grand scheme of things...

However the trillions strong bacterial civilisation in your gut is nevertheless devoutly Unishitarian.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2019 at 21:13, Classsix T said:

Were I not an atheist, I'd have to concur that "intelligent design" has perhaps given some creatures, great and small, a pretty crummy deal in the grand scheme of things.

To quote Tom Waits, 'there ain't no devil, that's just god when he's drunk'.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 12/11/2019 at 06:16, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

slivovitz is chock full of plummy goodness,

I ask out of a genuine sense of curiosity, do you enjoy Slivovitz? 

A former Croatian colleague imposed a bottle of Slivovitz onto her peers (including me). Personally, I found it to be nasty. Nastier than the nastiest grappa / aqua vitae. Personally,  I found nothing to recommend in Slivovitz.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I ask out of a genuine sense of curiosity, do you enjoy Slivovitz? 

A former Croatian colleague imposed a bottle of Slivovitz onto her peers (including me). Personally, I found it to be nasty. Nastier than the nastiest grappa / aqua vitae. Personally,  I found nothing to recommend in Slivovitz.

I was waxing satirical, as the final reference to mescal is clearly off piste...

But there is a decent brand of slivovitz, Maraska Zadar. Good in coffee, excellent for flambé. Certainly not malt whisky or fine cognac class however...

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, duncan said:

.. good petrol substitute ?:diablo_mini:

Barely more expensive than UK petrol when I purchased a case of it in Croatia, many years ago. The proprieter of the shop had to go to the Gelateria* up the street to obtain the only credit card zip machine (remember those?) in town, and claimed it was his first ever credit card transaction. And indeed highly flammable, as it proved on many a barbeque in following years...

*One thing led to another, and since it was an exceeding warm day, the ice cream came next. The wondrously beautiful young lady running this shop only added to the attraction, as we together worked out what the more incomprehensible names meant to someone hitherto ignorant of that region's languages. I'll say this, the 'Keks' (cherry) was every bit as good as the best 'Amarena' I have had from an Italian Gelateria.

• Like 2