The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

That ghastly FS clock is back

steve1

• RMweb Gold

And what's more it seems our own Mike is inside it (no sign of his cat), coming from his office to announce its arrival but it also "thunders" around the  less than 30" of track! I can think of better ways to spend £159.94!

• Funny 1

Can you imagine the look of utter horror that would be found on the average railway enthusiast face on Christmas morning as he/she opens  this !           Possibly worth £160 to capture for posterity.

Guy

• Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Give it a moments thought, and it becomes apparent that a great deal of ‘stuff’ dreamed-up by non-gricers for sale to gricers is utter tack, and even a great deal  of the stuff dreamed-up by gricers them/ourselves is utter tack, as a visit to any preserved railway gift shop will prove.

The Clock should be applauded (not bought, that would be going too far) as the pinnacle, the very summit, of tack.

One should be put in a museum of cultural artefacts, to make the point that, sometimes, railway enthusiasm descends to complete madness.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Give it a moments thought, and it becomes apparent that a great deal of ‘stuff’ dreamed-up by non-gricers for sale to gricers is utter tack, and even a great deal  of the stuff dreamed-up by gricers them/ourselves is utter tack, as a visit to any preserved railway gift shop will prove.

The Clock should be applauded (not bought, that would be going too far) as the pinnacle, the very summit, of tack.

One should be put in a museum of cultural artefacts, to make the point that, sometimes, railway enthusiasm descends to complete madness.

The vendors call themselves "Bradford Exchange" and they claim to have been in business "Since 1973".  Come on! It's obviously a sidline of Viz founder Chris Donald, the well-known celebrity rail enthusiast who has done so much to make the hobby look cool.  Nice try, Chris, but we saw through that one pretty quickly!

Not sure why it's being advertised in the Modeller though - it's unlikely they'll get much interest from the readers there, not when an Accurascale Class 43 Deltic or a good second hand Clag Gone can be had for the same money.  Much better try Radio Times or the People's Friend.

• Like 4

As I think has been pointed out before: if nobody bought ‘em, they wouldn’t make ‘em.

Somewhere out there are possibly thousands of these things, and if only 1:10 ever came out of the packaging that is hundreds, hanging on walls, doing their thing, every day.

Which means that thousands of people have bad taste, and hundreds of people really just wouldn’t know taste if it fell on ‘em.

Mind you, taste is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe I’ve got really bad taste - I simply wouldn’t know!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Sorry to  be OT but this is very funny, obviously written by someone who understands our hobby 

Part two may need searching for but worth it!

Viz Comic - A Day in the life of a Model Railway Enthusiast 1

Pedantry moment 1:76.2 ...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

As I think has been pointed out before: if nobody bought ‘em, they wouldn’t make ‘em.

Somewhere out there are possibly thousands of these things, and if only 1:10 ever came out of the packaging that is hundreds, hanging on walls, doing their thing, every day.

Which means that thousands of people have bad taste, and hundreds of people really just wouldn’t know taste if it fell on ‘em.

Mind you, taste is in the eye of the beholder, so maybe I’ve got really bad taste - I simply wouldn’t know!

Is there any proof that more than one of these have ever been made?

Andy G

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

The vendors call themselves "Bradford Exchange" and they claim to have been in business "Since 1973".  Come on! It's obviously a sidline of Viz founder Chris Donald, the well-known celebrity rail enthusiast who has done so much to make the hobby look cool.  Nice try, Chris, but we saw through that one pretty quickly!

Not sure why it's being advertised in the Modeller though - it's unlikely they'll get much interest from the readers there, not when an Accurascale Class 43 Deltic or a good second hand Clag Gone can be had for the same money.  Much better try Radio Times or the People's Friend.

But they still have remainders from the original batch! Got to sell them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

So who is going to be the first RMwebber to admit that they have one?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Pedantry moment 1:76.2 ...

I think it is probable that the author of the piece is fully aware of the correct 00 scale ratio to three significant figures and has deliberately misquoted it in order to trick or "bait" anoraks such as we are into pointing out the discrepancy, therefore exposing ourselves to ribaldry based on the small magnitude of the inaccuracy, our perceived obsessiveness over such a minute quantity and our uncontrollable urge to correct trivial factual errors at tedious length.  His easy success indicates that he is a master of his craft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Paul80 said:

And the ghastly thing is only £150 

What is it they say about fools and their money

Yes - but maybe the old saying is not quite so accurate as some might think because this piece of junk reappears every year.  And that reappearance suggests to me that somebody has got a huge stock of the things because nobody was daft enough to buy them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4