Kings Tawton. North Devon line 1980s

Ramblin Rich

Looking good Rich. Can I ask a question? How long are your platforms? I’ve tried guesstimating from pictures and Google Earth and I guess that Egglesford is probably only three coaches or so. Not sure if that’s a modern thing?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Even as it is at the moment you can instantly place where it’s more or less set.

Could you post a couple of photos of the work you’re doing on the Lima DMU when you get to that point? Sounds interesting.

Thanks Nick, will do - when I get to it! The alternate cunning plan is to transplant the chassis from a Hornby 121, if I can find one at a decent price.

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

Looking good Rich. Can I ask a question? How long are your platforms? I’ve tried guesstimating from pictures and Google Earth and I guess that Egglesford is probably only three coaches or so. Not sure if that’s a modern thing?

Cheers Tom. This site gives platform lengths of various local stations 

https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=simulations:exeter:exeterlengths

Eggesford shows around 60m or 200 feet approx, which scales to around 2ft 6in in 4mm (horrible mangling of measurement systems going on)! The up side platform was always short, being hemmed in by the level crossing and trailing sidings, while the down side was cut back after being undermined in the '60s.  I believe the platforms are / have been lengthened to accommodate 4 coach trains now.

My platforms are 6 sections of Peco platform, so about 3ft 6in. So actually a good bit longer than Eggesford and comfortable with 4 MK1 coaches - although if a loco hauled train is held at the signal before the level crossing, only 3 coaches are at the platform. That's still better than the real Eggesford though where loco + 2 coaches would fill the platform!

Flickr images

50032 Eggesford 15.09.90-1

15.5 Class 50 + 3 coaches at Eggesford during DMU shortage Aug 1990

Edited by Ramblin Rich
linked images
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Yes. Really want a large logo 50. I've been very good all year!

You reminded me that I haven't run my Hornby 50 that I bought at Warley many years ago. It's now out of the box but requires a modification to the circuit before a decoder can be plugged in. Hornby did do a replacement board but I suspect that it is no longer available.

20201208_153850-picsay.jpg.1a864d55906aeaa5cc003fe9ab3256d2.jpg

My 153 has had a run this morning. This has a factory fitted decoder.

20201208_153900-picsay.jpg.433014c9ed26c5dbba7d1598e7831001.jpg

One day I hope to build a layout based on the Barnstaple line.

• Like 3