Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

• RMweb Premium

Well the weather improved slightly and we managed to do some walking on Sunday and Monday. It felt rather arctic on the summits with 50mph winds driving ice particles into our faces, but that gives the walk a real sense of achievement. More so because my friend managed to complete his second round of all the Munros (Scottish mountains over 3,000ft of which there are 282) becoming only the 331st person to manage this feat (according to the Scottish Mountaineering Council records).

The hotel WiFi however was not so cooperative. It worked on my phone, bit not on the iPad - hence no Gresley Jn updates. I’m home now having caught the sleeper from Dundee last night, so we can return to Gresley Jn in the 1950s and watch N2, 69574 arriving with the 1854 from King’s Cross.

A726DAD3-1316-47F9-B3FB-14B0768173CB.jpeg.aaeea3df90647bcedbd2c773b867793a.jpeg

This is on my quad art set which has been seen several times before. The loco seems to be a very old scratch built example. I picked it up at an exhibition and replaced the wheels and motor and repainted into BR livery. It now runs nicely and is different to the Hornby model in having the later group standard buffers.

Here is the video.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Today we feature the down Master Cutler, 1920 King’s Cross-Sheffield which started running on this route in Sep 1958, but the train featured below is rather later being formed mainly of the Met Camm Pullmans which were introduced in c.1961 and headed by DP2 which worked this train mainly in 1964. This is a bit late for my time period, but DP2 is an important part of the Deltic story and they are my favourites, so I had to feature it.

8731D6D5-9CCC-4582-8881-7DFDB18F4270.jpeg.1812cbdec5c6bbf78f54820d29e06325.jpeg

F2FE9367-E3C3-4CD7-9E6C-2C621A7FAC6E.jpeg.c066119dffd881f651bb2f44693b18cc.jpeg

Since the last run of this train, I’ve managed to fit the end name board to the brake coach.

You may also note the new wall around the industrial area which I finished off this morning. This uses the Scale Model Scenery industrial walls kit. Now I need to  consider what to fill that corner with as the current structures are definitely space fillers. I’m probably thinking of the Scalescenes factory , but I think that will have to wait until I’ve made more progress on the station side.

Here is the video of the Master Cutler.

Edited by thegreenhowards
Added reference to new wall.
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Today we feature the down Master Cutler, 1920 King’s Cross-Sheffield which started running on this route in Sep 1958, but the train featured below is rather later being formed mainly of the Met Camm Pullmans which were introduced in c.1961 and headed by DP2 which worked this train mainly in 1964. This is a bit late for my time period, but DP2 is an important part of the Deltic story and they are my favourites, so I had to feature it.

8731D6D5-9CCC-4582-8881-7DFDB18F4270.jpeg.1812cbdec5c6bbf78f54820d29e06325.jpeg

F2FE9367-E3C3-4CD7-9E6C-2C621A7FAC6E.jpeg.c066119dffd881f651bb2f44693b18cc.jpeg

Since the last run of this train, I’ve managed to fit the end name board to the brake coach.

You may also note the new wall around the industrial area which I finished off this morning. This uses the Scale Model Scenery industrial walls kit. Now I need to  consider what to fill that corner with as the current structures are definitely space fillers. I’m probably thinking of the Scalescenes factory , but I think that will have to wait until I’ve made more progress on the station side.

Here is the video of the Master Cutler.

Do you have any problems with the metrocamms de coupling? I had a rake if six, which I returned because they were incapable of staying coupled. It’s a thread that has been discussed at length onPN, and Bachmanns seem to be the worst offenders, so it would be interesting to know your experience 

• RMweb Premium
Just now, bigwordsmith said:

Do you have any problems with the metrocamms de coupling? I had a rake if six, which I returned because they were incapable of staying coupled. It’s a thread that has been discussed at length onPN, and Bachmanns seem to be the worst offenders, so it would be interesting to know your experience 

Not with the Met Camms that I can remember. I do get that sort of problem from time to time but it’s normally with a Hornby coach where the coupling has drooped or a Bachmann older style which should have the cranked couplings and has been fitted with ordinary couplings - the latter is easily rectified!

I think mine are helped by using corridor connectors which seems to steady the whole train. I use the ones from Fair Price Models which are good value.

If I do get the problem, I normally replace with a Bachmann ‘pipes’ connector in the NEM pocket or use a ‘Wright’ style hook and goal post arrangement.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Today we feature the 1925 King’s Cross- Peterborough. This is an unusual train in that it was formed of a standard Cambridge line corridor 6 set with a couple of non corridor strengtheners and a BG on the back. In addition on Tuesdays it had a vanfit from St Albans to Doncaster added at Hatfield and I have chosen to model that being attached at Gresley Jn. As it’s 1959, the baby Deltics have arrived and are still trusted with longer distance trains, so here is D5905 arriving at Gresley Jn with the train before the vanfit is added.

360A72B3-253A-4AF6-8C91-94F7AD757BB8.jpeg.74deb1a2827293ce28b0a56abf461c7a.jpeg

Today’s video shows the attachment of the vanfit and departure of the service. Hence it is longer then usual, so you may want to skip it if you can’t afford a couple of minutes. I’ve assumed the train loco comes off and picks up the van rather than a pilot adding it at the back. Any comments on which is more likely would be welcome. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Today we have the Ivatt branch push pull returning to Gresley Junction. You have seen this heading out with the loco leading, but not in ‘push’ mode.

0B82A8C8-EE98-4442-9718-57E45B088431.jpeg.d6c0ffd261346b343613ec571385fbaa.jpeg

A nice short video today to make up for yesterday’s monster. Once again this features the new industrial walls in the background.

Next up on Gresley Jn we have one of what I regard as my specialities, the overnight trains. So watch out for the Aberdonian tomorrow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2020 at 09:37, bigwordsmith said:

Thanks Andy. I got as far as trying some kadees before we moved , so may go back down that route. It does seem that Tony’s are the best option for long heavy trains

peter

Tony’s work well, but I don’t think they’re necessary on most trains. I rarely have problems I can’t solve with the various NEM pocket solutions and Tony’s do mean a fair bit of work if you’ve got a lot of coaches. So for me, it’s Tony’s solution on long kit built rakes if I have a problem. Otherwise tension lock, Roco or pipes. And definitely tension lock on loose stock so that it can be turned round.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I promised the Aberdonian would feature on Saturday, but when I dug the rake out of the cardboard box where it’s been living for best part of a year, I realised that there was some work to do. I’ve been backdating the rake to fully Blood and custard livery from mixed maroon and blood and custard but I’d forgotten that I still had to finish off the 66ft SLF as well as replacing roof board/ corridor connectors etc. Hence the delay. Anyway, I managed to do all that over the weekend, so here is the full rake as per the 1956 summer carriage workings (FX and SUN to 30/06 and from 10/09). 

C73927E5-B6AE-4D62-9C23-45528F3C252F.jpeg.35f7d06801949106db8a80d226e11ff6.jpeg

7C24B234-B057-49A3-9778-78592B6910B0.jpeg.3ad3a2cb80bbedccaa039f15502d57be.jpeg

I’ve given you a line side view in which the focus fades out towards the rear and a high level view so that you can see the whole train. This is 14 carriages and my heaviest passenger rake with which my Bachmann A1s struggle, so I use a DJH A1 with plenty of added lead. Here we see Patrick Stirling. I will need to change the tender emblem or find another DJH A1 to finish the backdating process, but you’ll have to bear with me for now. 

The headboard is light blue which I think means that it’s Scottish Region. Does anyone know whether this would have worked through to King’s Cross, or do I need to repaint it?

In the next post I’ll detail the formation (needs to be a separate post because of the 10MB photo limit) , but here is the video of the full formation.

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In this post I will run through the formation of the Aberdonian. It was made up as follows:

BG (from photos normally Thompson or Gresley steel)

BSK(4) (Gresley)

SLSTP (Thompson)

SLF (Gresley 61ft)

SLF (Gresley 66ft)

SLC (Twin Gresley d.161/2)

CK (Mark 1)

2* SK (7) (Gresley end vestibule)

BG

SLC (Gresley d.20)

BCK (Mark 1)

RU (D.11)

The first 11 coaches went to Aberdeen, while coaches 12/13 (SLC/BCK) was a portion for Fort William and the RU served dinner until York and then returned to London on an up service.

Most of my rake is kit built / bashed, so I will describe the more interesting vehicles below.

A4A70FD8-3A51-47EF-AAF2-158F25AF6C76.jpeg.089a8f8dc98578e9452e93cd96727a39.jpeg

The BG is a D.198 Gresley steel version based on Comet sides on a Hornby donor. For those interested I have written up the build here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3547353

The BSK(4) is built from Mousa sides on a Hornby donor.

80A45700-1B58-4708-A811-DD37D052CCCC.jpeg.34a7d7ed2debce05f5f4dc24e7419ce0.jpeg

Next is a Thompson SLSTP based on Mousa sides on a scratch built floor with 247 ends and MJT roof and under frame details. The build is written up starting here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3324289

23E9C880-E262-4B93-A38D-4CB5616E9537.jpeg.902dcb086d8408e25cf5ffd5e91de41c.jpeg

The 61ft SLF is standard Hornby so I haven’t bothered photographing that. Next is the the 66ft SLF is another Kirk cut ‘n’ shut - the one which delayed me running this train. It is written up here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3851471

6F3586A2-AF8F-4555-9E6F-34D6DDEE0A27.jpeg.4b719d519f2d13d7d8880a91dae98ab2.jpeg

The twin SLC is D.161/2 of which only two were built and dedicated to service in the Aberdonian from new until the late ‘50s. These were built from Kirk cut ‘n’ shuts which I wrote up here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3246132

I seem to have hit the limit again, and it won’t even let me load more in a separate post, so I will continue tomorrow. Does anyone know a way round the 10MB limit?

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Final photos of the Aberdonian now that RMWeb isn’t complaining that I’ve used too much data.

FD5CDB52-73BA-46E3-B903-C7F11CC69EE9.jpeg.9e86c2206a3c45057346cf3e73318d04.jpeg

A pair of end vestibule SKs made from Kirk kits. One is standard Kirk, although with Bachmann bogies, the other I bought half built in P4 with MJT underpinnings and finished it off. I don’t think you can tell on the layout which is which!

93AAAE23-6A2E-4F00-A4A2-DE1DF8F9C652.jpeg.9a2ce37bcdce5ca35c11e387893dbb2d.jpeg

A D.20 SLC which provided the sleeping accommodation for Fort William. Mousa sides on a Hornby donor.

4F6FFC5F-769F-4D4F-9239-768F21EE6935.jpeg.77d5fbe32d15a1d9385232d5b37762b6.jpeg

...and finally the D.11 RU which served dinner as far as York. This is another Kirk cut ‘n’ shut with MJT underpinnings. It’s a bit rough, but is the only way of creating this coach AFAIK.

I hope I didn’t bore you with all the coach pictures. I’m afraid that this train is a favourite of mine as I built 10 of the 14 coaches, so you’ll have to indulge me a little.

Andy

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I seem to have hit the limit again, and it won’t even let me load more in a separate post, so I will continue tomorrow. Does anyone know a way round the 10MB limit?

10MB is a lot. You are taking and uploading the photos at a high resolution. It won't make much difference on screen if you upload at a much lower resolution.

Two options:

- change the settings on the camera;

- after you upload the photos to your laptop, change the resolution of the picture (paint or similar program) and resave before uploading to RMweb.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

10MB is a lot. You are taking and uploading the photos at a high resolution. It won't make much difference on screen if you upload at a much lower resolution.

Two options:

- change the settings on the camera;

- after you upload the photos to your laptop, change the resolution of the picture (paint or similar program) and resave before uploading to RMweb.

I do shrink them a bit to between 1&2MB each. The problem arises when I try to upload more than 6 or 7 photos in a day. Do you think I should go further with the shrinking?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I do shrink them a bit to between 1&2MB each. The problem arises when I try to upload more than 6 or 7 photos in a day. Do you think I should go further with the shrinking?

Hi Andy

I have the same problem when uploading more than 7 or 8 photos, and that is after shrinking them to below 1MB. All I do is log out and then back in. It disrupts the creative flow of the narrative but as my waffle doesn't make sense who cares.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Yes, for use here on the internet, 100kB should be plenty.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I’m not inclined to go that low in case anyone wants to click and expand the photo. I’ll try just under 1mb.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

I have the same problem when uploading more than 7 or 8 photos, and that is after shrinking them to below 1MB. All I do is log out and then back in. It disrupts the creative flow of the narrative but as my waffle doesn't make sense who cares.

Ah, cunning plan. Logging out sounds a better better than waiting for the next day!

This pic is .8 of a MB and shows the downsides of having a helpful (inquisitive) and agile dog in the train loft..

For the purists among you, she is scaled at 328 mm to the foot, and is very fussy about which surfaces she runs on. Those considered unacceptably rough or dirty, will find her coming to a dead stop, and only the 'Hand of God' will move her!

Pepper helping again.jpg

As you can see it expands to a higher size  very nicely 

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m not inclined to go that low in case anyone wants to click and expand the photo. I’ll try just under 1mb.

Why not try the same photo at two different settings and see what it gives.

I'm sure Andy Y will be pleased if we can find a way to reduce the storage that RMw needs.

• RMweb Premium

Today we have the 19h55 down Cambridge Buffet Express in its 1958 formation. According to the carriage workings, there were two very similar rakes on these services; one had mark 1 BSK(4)s on each end, but this one had Mark 1 BSOs, so I had to go digging in the loose stock. In practice, I suspect they had one or two more ex LNER coaches in the formation, so I need to do some photo research to vary the rake a little.

The train is headed by 61662, ‘Queens Park Rangers’. It’s a little known fact that there was a B17 named after the mighty ‘R’s, but in my parallel universe, Manchester United went bust after the war, and British Railways decided to rename 61662 after QPR who had just won the 1st division title! She’s come out today to celebrate last night’s victory over Derby. Sorry if I’ve offended the purists (or Man U fans) out there.

5B31C792-C895-4D0C-A9A9-8901BFF8CDB0.jpeg.8a51e984dcb441e1cfdd5ba2cbe4723a.jpeg

I managed to get this down to 1.4MB by cropping. I can’t find any way on my iPad to reduce it further and I can’t face transferring it to my laptop and editing in paint or similar. I guess I could take a wider view and crop more heavily but does anyone know of a more elegant iPad solution?

Here's the video.

• Like 5

You're right about the limitations of iPad.

I use a Mac as my main computer and the iPhone and it are linked through iCloud. THis means I can open any pic from the iPhone on the laptop either int he native 'Photos' App or by exporting a copy and using the 'Preview' app where I can resize a copy.

This also gives me a hard copy on my hard drive in case pike ever goes bust and loses all my data!

• Thanks 1

Funny you should have the fiction of Manchester Utd. going bust after the War. I gather that this was quite close to happening, the ground was damaged by bombing and semi-derelict, and like everyone else in 1945 they had no money. I remember being told by my Dad that City were the dominant team in Manchester at the time, then of course this reversed under Matt Busby, who eventually was knighted.

John.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Funny you should have the fiction of Manchester Utd. going bust after the War. I gather that this was quite close to happening, the ground was damaged by bombing and semi-derelict, and like everyone else in 1945 they had no money. I remember being told by my Dad that City were the dominant team in Manchester at the time, then of course this reversed under Matt Busby, who eventually was knighted.

John.

Yes, I think I sort of half knew that. Of course, Accrington Stanley did go bust and I think they were a founder member of the league. But of course, there was no B17 named after them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Yes, I think I sort of half knew that. Of course, Accrington Stanley did go bust and I think they were a founder member of the league. But of course, there was no B17 named after them.

I think that's right, Accrington Stanley were one of the twelve founder members. I used to know who they all were, and seem to remember Aston Villa and Notts County, with the rest being from the northwest. I was brought up close to Blackburn, and the Rovers were one of the twelve as were nearby Preston North End, and probably Burnley and Bolton Wanderers. Accrington Stanley did reform a few years ago, and I think now may be in something like League Two, if that's what its called.

In my years living in and around London - 1978 to 1998 - I did go to Shepherd's Bush once to see the Rovers play QPR, not surprisingly we lost as was usually the case. My highlight match in London was them getting a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge circa 1980. The trains were a lot more fun!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Andy

For info most pictures that I put anywhere near the web are about 200kB, but then I put everything through Lightroom which allows me to output whatever file size that I specify.

One good reason for me is that the "rural broadband" that I get here has a download speed of around 3.5Mps and an upload speed at about one tenth of that - so if I used larger images I'd be here all night!

Tony