Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

• RMweb Premium

This is the third of the procession of late up trains; the 1145 from Dundee.
397AB876-99B9-4F6A-879B-39B15BF3B9C4.jpeg.aa1011dea66b8245e57738a4ae714734.jpeg

I don’t really understand this train as it seems to be a relief formed of Gresley stock, but I’m not really sure what it’s relieving - maybe the Heart if Midlothian and the last up Newcastle which will feature shortly. It seems to have been Summer only and of the carriage workings that I have, only features in the 1958 summer one.

The formation is listed as BSK, FK, 6xSK, BSK with catering (RF, SO, BSK) added at Edinburgh on Monday’s and Fridays. I’ve chosen to model the full train with catering but had to substitute a couple of Thompsons as I don’t have enough end vestibule Gresley stock - particularly missing a FK which I will build soon. 

It’s headed by A2, 60533, Happy Knight. I’ve no idea whether this is accurate but it seemed reasonable for a secondary service. This loco is owned by my daughter, Ellen, and she won’t let me weather it, so that’s my excuse for its pristine appearance.

Here’s the video which shows the full train - enjoy those end vestibule Gresleys!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Today we feature the final of the sequence of four up trains which I mentioned a couple of days ago. And as trailed on Peterborough North, it is 60021, Wild Swan, on the 1705 Newcastle - Kings Cross. However, unlike PN, I feature the Mon-Thu version of the train which had a portion from Bradford via Leeds (the back 3 coaches).

26962634-37AE-4871-B541-BA25645FA7AE.jpeg.9ee28c6de9c969c0c5de75d4ab685cfb.jpeg

It gives a second run out for for Kirk triplet set as seen in the video.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It’s been a while since I posted anything on here. I’ve not been struck down by Covid 19...it’s more that’s I’ve been very busy with three rail tours, a model railway exhibition and a double bill of Harry Potter at the Theatre. In between that I’ve been trying to get some out of the box locos ready for service on Gresley Jn which always takes longer than you expect.

Anyway, here is the first of the locos I got from Kernow about 10 days ago arriving at Gresley Jn on the 2054 from King's Cross.

F5980347-1E26-4C57-A4FA-268BC4CC8BDA.jpeg.5478034ed8dbf94100772e4212aa65c5.jpeg

What is an ex LMS engine doing at Gresley Jn I hear you ask? Well two Fowler 2-6-4Ts worked out of Hitchin for a couple of years in the mid ‘50s. 42374 was one of them and I’ve based this train on a photo on p90 of East Coast from King’s Cross by Eric Neve.

Here is the video showing her crossing the throat of the station.

• Like 8

G'Day Folks

Learn something new every day, never knew about the Fowler 2-6-4T's based at Hitchin, bit late for me though, I had a Fowler, cut it up to make a Stanier 2-6-0, using a 8f body.

manna

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Learn something new every day, never knew about the Fowler 2-6-4T's based at Hitchin, bit late for me though, I had a Fowler, cut it up to make a Stanier 2-6-0, using a 8f body.

manna

There were a few non-LNER interlopers around KX during the fifties apart from the obvious 9Fs and WDs. I'm aware of:

• The two 2-6-4T Fowlers as mentioned (42328 being the other one);
  • Black 5 44911 which did just over a year at King's Cross (56/57) on AWS trials; 
  • Standard 5s, 73071 which did AWS trails at the same time as the Black 5; and 73157/8/9 which were at King's Cross from late '57 to late '58; and
  • There were mutterings on the Peterborough North thread that a standard 2-6-4 tank was at King's Cross for a while but I've never seen a picture.

Does anyone know of any others?

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

There were a few non-LNER interlopers around KX during the fifties apart from the obvious 9Fs and WDs. I'm aware of:

• The two 2-6-4T Fowlers as mentioned (42328 being the other one);
  • Black 5 44911 which did just over a year at King's Cross (56/57) on AWS trials; 
  • Standard 5s, 73071 which did AWS trails at the same time as the Black 5; and 73157/8/9 which were at King's Cross from late '57 to late '58; and
  • There were mutterings on the Peterborough North thread that a standard 2-6-4 tank was at King's Cross for a while but I've never seen a picture.

Does anyone know of any others?

Andy

The info about STD 2.6.4.Ts came from the RO Andy, so it should be accurate. Two of them, from Neasden if memory serves, but they didn't stay for long. I can't think of any others at the moment.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

The info about STD 2.6.4.Ts came from the RO Andy, so it should be accurate. Two of them, from Neasden if memory serves, but they didn't stay for long. I can't think of any others at the moment.

I’ll have a look on ‘BR Database’ and see if I can find the numbers.

• RMweb Premium

Not the most exciting train today I’m afraid, but they all have to be shown. Here we have the 2121 King’s Cross-Royston.

2AE7D53E-00A4-44B1-B3A1-5E45E7C98A7D.jpeg.bf9b21ce9fea9243eea3cad59be1b257.jpeg

This was a standard Mark 1 non corridor outer suburban set. I had hoped to put a new B1 on the front and I bought 61032 from Kernow last week with that in mind. But I’ve been thwarted both by Modelmaster not delivering the renumbering transfers and by an issue raised by Tony Wright in that my chosen B1 (Hitchin based 61097) had a ‘Bulbous’ smokebox door whereas the Hornby one doesn’t. So I either need to source the correct smokebox door or choose another example for the renumbering. In the meantime you’ll have to put up with 34A’s 61394 which you’ve seen already.

Here’s the video.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Not the most exciting train today I’m afraid, but they all have to be shown. Here we have the 2121 King’s Cross-Royston.

2AE7D53E-00A4-44B1-B3A1-5E45E7C98A7D.jpeg.bf9b21ce9fea9243eea3cad59be1b257.jpeg

This was a standard Mark 1 non corridor outer suburban set. I had hoped to put a new B1 on the front and I bought 61032 from Kernow last week with that in mind. But I’ve been thwarted both by Modelmaster not delivering the renumbering transfers and by an issue raised by Tony Wright in that my chosen B1 (Hitchin based 61097) had a ‘Bulbous’ smokebox door whereas the Hornby one doesn’t. So I either need to source the correct smokebox door or choose another example for the renumbering. In the meantime you’ll have to put up with 34A’s 61394 which you’ve seen already.

Here’s the video.

B1 smokebox doors got changed quite regularly at general overhauls though, didn't they? As you period is flexible, wouldn't it be acceptable for you to choose a loco for which you have a photo giving a date, and which corresponds to what you have available? You might have to restrict to early or late crest, but that should be all.

G'day Folks

I'm sure a couple of 4-6-2 T A5 tank engines were also used in and around KX-Hitchin for a few years in the 30's and 50's, I have seen pictures of those on outer suburban workings.

manna

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

B1 smokebox doors got changed quite regularly at general overhauls though, didn't they? As you period is flexible, wouldn't it be acceptable for you to choose a loco for which you have a photo giving a date, and which corresponds to what you have available? You might have to restrict to early or late crest, but that should be all.

Gilbert,

You’re right in that they changed. The problem is finding a photo and even then that I find it quite difficult to tell which smoke box door it is unless the photo is from a side angle. I need to put aside some time for concentrated research starting with re-reading the green book - should be plenty of time for that now!

Andy

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

I'm sure a couple of 4-6-2 T A5 tank engines were also used in and around KX-Hitchin for a few years in the 30's and 50's, I have seen pictures of those on outer suburban workings.

manna

Indeed they were. 69814 in 59/60 and I think a couple of others earlier - I have seen a photo of 69824 on a suburban set but I can’t find the allocation on ‘BR database’. I think they were brought in to try to handle the ECS from sleeper trains which other locos struggled with on the flyover at Wood Green.

I did think about adding in the A5s, but decided to limit my list to non LNER engines as I thought that expanding it to the ‘home’ fleet would open the flood gates.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today’s train features another of my recent bargain purchases, K3, 61912 hauling the 1730 from New Clee fish train.

5FA3066F-8F4B-4079-A550-C967A0082300.jpeg.39d8bf8c4f482031317bde6cf49f134d.jpeg

This is a Bachmann model, but I have renumbered, weathered and added front footsteps (which weren’t even in the detailing pack - is that usual?). It’s now 2150 at Gresley Jn so you will have to suspend disbelief at the amount of daylight!

Here is the video.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

This is a Bachmann model, but I have renumbered, weathered and added front footsteps (which weren’t even in the detailing pack - is that usual?).

None of my K3s have had front steps.  It's one of those things I keep meaning to do, but have never got around to it!  How did you do it?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 31A said:

None of my K3s have had front steps.  It's one of those things I keep meaning to do, but have never got around to it!  How did you do it?

Just three bits of plasticard. One for the back bit carved to shape and two small thinner ones for the steps. The steps do have a habit of falling off which is a pain. Not the most finescale of methods, but better than nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today we feature the up afternoon Talisman headed by 60108, Gay Crusader.

99B0D119-4AA0-41E4-8029-3FE189E86BFA.jpeg.37a04c809ba0745ee1cb5eb24ed47abf.jpeg6391CEE4-7AA0-4273-9136-B8887BE65C45.jpeg.b9ecfa0a0fd0baa871d513cff9269ac6.jpeg

This is a DJH kit bought off eBay and tidied by me - see my workbench thread if you’re interested. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3856937

It’s a good runner and will pull well although it’s slightly hesitant over insulator crossings so will need some further tuning.

60108 got it’s smoke deflectors in November 1961 and the Talisman retained this basic formation with the twin ex Coronation FO through to at least 1961 (I don’t have CWN for ‘62) although strictly it should have an extra coach by this stage. So this train is representative of late ‘61 or maybe ‘62.

Here’s the video showing the whole formation.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Today I feature the newest member of the Gresley Jn stud, BR Standard 5MT, 73157 on 2050 Cambridge- King’s Cross stopping train. As mentioned further up the page, 34A had three of these for a year in ‘57/8 and they were mainly used on Cambridge line services.

D772C53A-7B6C-4265-847A-E71F7331A1AB.jpeg.2494c991a79583674f491e22981c73bf.jpeg

The loco is a DJH kit bought off eBay, but sat in a drawer for about a year as it needed some work. The sequence needed a new ‘Cambridge’ loco so that encouraged me to get it working as described on my workbench thread here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3882762

It’s still DC as I’ve struggled to fit a chip so far, but the layout is switchable (mainly for running in and testing) so I’ve switched over for the video. You may notice a slight twitch in the video - this is as she goes over the diamond crossing (off screen) and is a problem place for several locos - I clearly need to do some more work on the pick ups or the track!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2020 at 09:25, thegreenhowards said:

Indeed they were. 69814 in 59/60 and I think a couple of others earlier - I have seen a photo of 69824 on a suburban set but I can’t find the allocation on ‘BR database’. I think they were brought in to try to handle the ECS from sleeper trains which other locos struggled with on the flyover at Wood Green.

I did think about adding in the A5s, but decided to limit my list to non LNER engines as I thought that expanding it to the ‘home’ fleet would open the flood gates.

Its taken me a while but I've now found the info. A5 69824 ex store Lincoln to KX in 1958, and the two Std 4 tanks were 80103/37.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Its taken me a while but I've now found the info. A5 69824 ex store Lincoln to KX in 1958, and the two Std 4 tanks were 80103/37.

Thanks Gilbert,

‘BR Database’ doesn’t mention any of these being transferred to KX or other ‘34’ sheds, so I guess they must have been short term loans. As I said I’ve seen a picture of 69824 on a suburban set and an A5 is definitely on my wanted list. I keep bidding on eBay but they seem to go for high prices...and anyway ‘sir’ wouldn’t approve. I quite fancy a standard 4MT tank as well - were they c.1958 as well?

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we have another loaded coal train.

67E996B9-C07E-49C3-B47C-61987D32D008.jpeg.407d49a8d60af8705c52343e7c683c85.jpegThis time it’s headed by an O2, 63954, which wasn’t the most common of classes south of Peterborough but this is early ‘50s pre-9Fs, so it may have been more common then. That’s what I hope anyway as I’m rather partial to O2s - exceptionally graceful for a goods engine. I use very similar rakes for each coal train with just the odd wagon changed. This probably has too many steel bodied wagons for the early ‘50s, so I intend to try to produce a substitute rear 8-10 wagons which can be wooden or steel according to the period. The loco is Heljan and has been in ‘out of the box’ condition for a couple of years, but got the weathering treatment in my recent blitz.

Here’s the video. Sadly the low viewpoint seems to emphasise a slight crest in the track work which is barely noticeable from normal viewpoints.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Gilbert,

‘BR Database’ doesn’t mention any of these being transferred to KX or other ‘34’ sheds, so I guess they must have been short term loans. As I said I’ve seen a picture of 69824 on a suburban set and an A5 is definitely on my wanted list. I keep bidding on eBay but they seem to go for high prices...and anyway ‘sir’ wouldn’t approve. I quite fancy a standard 4MT tank as well - were they c.1958 as well?

Andy

It's not my place to approve of or disapprove of whatever you want to buy, Andy.

Are the A5s on eBay complete kits or completed kits?

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Gilbert,

Andy

They were Andy, on loan from Neasden.

• Informative/Useful 2