Will's Garage Layout

CWJ

• RMweb Premium

Will, I've put a longer reply in my own thread, but thanks for the comments.

I'm ok with basic joinery, but your creations beat mine hands-down when it comes to the careful stuff!

All the best,

Jeff

Thanks Will... (and Jeff, although thankfully I've no need for your superb belt and braces job!). It's the third of your options I'll be adopting Will, as a house move is more than likely; the walls are already plastered, and the plain coloured carpet (ex living room) has always remained dry. So really all I'm thinking of doing is upgrading the up-and-over door with some insulating board and draught-proofer (and buying a portable room heater... and maybe a few woolly jumpers!).

Did your door come with the 'Ecotherm' insulation I caught a glimpse of in your earlier photos... or did you apply that yourself? Looks just what I need!

No Alan, my garage door is just a plasticky-fibreglassy moulding on a metal frame; I added the insulation with leftovers from the walls.

I think there were more photos of this on my original thread on the old version of RMWeb, which frustratingly doesn't seem to be working. I hope this is a temporary 'blip' as I'd like to keep these threads as a record of my progress. Photos alone don't tell the whole story.

Anyway, all this talk of the garage is making me want to get out there and make some progress, but unfortunately SWMBO has enlisted my services in the construction of some furniture which might set things back just a few more months. I'll get there, eventually!

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for that Will. I was thinking it might be 25mm stuff, as that's about the depth of the 'bog-standard' door's framing. Your confirmation has put my mind at rest, so I can be off to B&Q in the week knowing exactly what I want!

Know what you mean about the 'former' RMWeb, but I'm sure the plan is to resurrect it. Hope so.

Is there any garden furniture that looks remarakably like a baseboard's framework????!!! Sneak it in as you go!

Best wishes

Have a look at my thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/23828-danemouth-oo/ third picture down

I put insulation on the inside of the door, then fitted a heavy gauge polythene sheet. At the bottom this is weighed down with a row of spare bricks left over from the drive. The polythene is sealed against the frame of the door with gaffer tape.

HTH,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note to explain the lack of progress hereabouts!

We are facing a house move in the next few weeks, so they layout has been packed away. This wasn't a problem, as it was always designed to be easily dismantled and it came down in an hour or two. It's a little sad that the effort I put into insulating the garage will no longer be necessary, but it wasn't completely wasted as I have enjoyed a very comfortable railway room / woodworking shop / hiding place from SWMBO for the last couple of years.

No guessing what the top priority for our next house will be! Resurrecting the existing bits of layout will be a quick job, but I can't promise particularly speedy progress on finishing it. It'll be nice to have a fresh start in a new garage though, that might inject some enthusiasm into me. I'm hoping to find a house with an integrated garage so it doesn't have to be seperately insulated and heated.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Hi Will.

You'll have to keep us posted on what happens. Yes, shame about the move after all that work, but I'm sure the result will be better than the original.

It's nice to post in your thread, rather than you in mine!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Archived