Will's Garage Layout

CWJ

Hi Will.

Very nice work there mate.

Have you had any luck recovering the "lost" photos from your old PC?

regards Lez.

Hi Lez - many thanks for the advice - I need all the help I can get! It's all my own fault, as I was too stingy to re-instate my anti-virus software when it expired several months ago. Surprise, surprise, the computer's performance rapidly deteriorated until it wouldn't even start up properly - I'm quite sure that this is due to some form of malicious software. All I want to do is extract my precious photos and other files from the HDD, I don't care if I have to replace the disc with a new one. I have tried to do this by connecting the HDD to another computer using an external USB dock... the HDD whirred away as you'd expect, but the computer didn't even recognise that it had been connected. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Will

PS. Other readers - apologies for the computer talk, but if Lez can help me sort this out then you'll get to see my track plan!

Thanks Will!

I think it would be a mix with regards who carried out the work - other than running cable ready for instalation I don't touch electrics! But fitting out internally wouldn't be a problem, my father in law's quite willing and he likes DIY, you just need to keep him in check as he's a little too keen with things sometimes! He also works at a builder's merchants which has come in useful!

Good stuff - sounds as though convincing his daughter might be the more difficult part! I was lucky to move into this house before my fiancee moved in, so I had already marked the garage as my territory...

I'm sure a local electrician would rig up your garage very quickly and efficiently, especially if there is already power there, so it wouldn't cost the earth. You might save a couple of quid by buying the light fittings, sockets etc. yourself and asking the electrician to fit them.

Good stuff - sounds as though convincing his daughter might be the more difficult part! I was lucky to move into this house before my fiancee moved in, so I had already marked the garage as my territory...

Not as hard as you'd imagine! Providing the patio doors and kitchen are sorted then it should be fine! Plus it means all my stuff will be at home - I use the workroom I have at my parents still which isn't idea and does restrict what I can do.

Sorting the garage out will add value to the house to making it a desirable 'hobby room'! It's a state at the moment too! Looks fine from the outside and when people walk past but inside it's a dump for stuff from the house! SO it should be a good result all round! :lol:

I'm sure a local electrician would rig up your garage very quickly and efficiently, especially if there is already power there, so it wouldn't cost the earth. You might save a couple of quid by buying the light fittings, sockets etc. yourself and asking the electrician to fit them.

We have a guy who does our electrics - he's not an electrician any more (I think he'd had enough of self employment) but is still up to date with his certification and is happy to do jobs providing we supply all the parts and we've run cables too so all he has to is connect and test!

It's a medium term thing but you've made me think it's not unfeasible! Thank you :)

Hi Lez - many thanks for the advice - I need all the help I can get! It's all my own fault, as I was too stingy to re-instate my anti-virus software when it expired several months ago. Surprise, surprise, the computer's performance rapidly deteriorated until it wouldn't even start up properly - I'm quite sure that this is due to some form of malicious software. All I want to do is extract my precious photos and other files from the HDD, I don't care if I have to replace the disc with a new one. I have tried to do this by connecting the HDD to another computer using an external USB dock... the HDD whirred away as you'd expect, but the computer didn't even recognise that it had been connected. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Will

PS. Other readers - apologies for the computer talk, but if Lez can help me sort this out then you'll get to see my track plan!

Hi Will

Once upon a time I had a hard drive crash - and no backup!

I found a program called Active@Undelete on the web and used it to recover much of the content from a hard drive that Windows would no longer even recognise so worth a look. It's not free but I thought it worth the money.

Good luck with the drive.

Regards

Thanks to some good advice from Lezz01 my PC is well on the way to recovery, but more importantly I have been able to recover my photos and other files so I can now reveal my track plan...

post-9324-0-96831800-1306964756_thumb.jpg

The title gives away the location as Keighley, West Yorkshire, which will allow me to model both modern day operations on the Airedale line (dark green lines on plan) and heritage services on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (black lines). The layout will be set in the present day, with a little flexibility.

Now for the really odd part - the KWVR branch will be to P4 standards and the Airedale line will be 00 gauge to allow friends to bring visiting locos and for the times when I run out of the patience required for fiddling with P4 chassis and trackwork! The KWVR part will definitely by DCC but I'm still undecided about the main line.

Finally, as you can see, the KWVR line rises up a gradient (as in reality, just not as steep) and over the main lines. This will initially go to a temporary fiddle yard above the traverser, but the layout has been designed for extensions on several levels as the line climbs round the perimeter of the room. If I ever build these extensions (unlikely!) they will include Damems Junction and Oakworth station.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

Interesting track plan. I will be interested to see the 00 and P4in the same scenic sections. When I started in 0 I did consider S7 but joined the local 0 groupp and the opportunity to run of friends layouts decided on 0f for me. Sharing with friends is a great part of the hobby.

Don

Interesting track plan. I will be interested to see the 00 and P4in the same scenic sections. When I started in 0 I did consider S7 but joined the local 0 groupp and the opportunity to run of friends layouts decided on 0f for me. Sharing with friends is a great part of the hobby.

Don

Thanks Don. I agree, and this is why I'm also not sure about DCC, as this would make it difficult for 'visiting' non-decoder-fitted locos. I'm hoping the P4 and 00 gauge lines won't look too bad together, as there is a platform seperating the two and they will be viewied sideways-on. If it looks awful I can always have a re-think...

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

It is possible to wire layouts to cope with either. You need to retain some section switches but that can help with fault finding in DCC and you have to forget using live frog points for isolating ( that can be dangerous anyway - switch a point and a loco suddenly moves!). On the 00 you may find more and more of your friends start using DCC. Fit your own stuff with chips which can recognise DC and respond to it. For things like the storage yards a DC solution will work for DCC and issues like the sound cutting out when isolated don't matter in fiddle yards.

Regarding the P4 and 00 together it occurs to me if you can match sleeper spacing and more importantly have the same amount protruding from the rails either side ( i.e sleepers 1.33 less in length for the 00 bit) in the scenic bit it would not be obvious. In fact I wonder if on the straight bit 00 stock could run along plain P4 track. In 2mm you can do this N gauge stock usually run fine on plain 2mfs track admittedly the difference is less at 0.42mm and N gauge wheels tend to be a bit wider.

Regards Don

It is possible to wire layouts to cope with either. You need to retain some section switches but that can help with fault finding in DCC and you have to forget using live frog points for isolating ( that can be dangerous anyway - switch a point and a loco suddenly moves!). On the 00 you may find more and more of your friends start using DCC. Fit your own stuff with chips which can recognise DC and respond to it. For things like the storage yards a DC solution will work for DCC and issues like the sound cutting out when isolated don't matter in fiddle yards.

That might be the solution then, although I've got time to think about it while I construct the next baseboards.

Regarding the P4 and 00 together it occurs to me if you can match sleeper spacing and more importantly have the same amount protruding from the rails either side ( i.e sleepers 1.33 less in length for the 00 bit) in the scenic bit it would not be obvious. In fact I wonder if on the straight bit 00 stock could run along plain P4 track. In 2mm you can do this N gauge stock usually run fine on plain 2mfs track admittedly the difference is less at 0.42mm and N gauge wheels tend to be a bit wider.

I'm planning on using Peco Code 75 track (concrete sleepers) so the sleeper length will be restricted, but I hope to be able to space the sleepers out a bit. Unfortunately the latter idea isn't possible with 00 stock on P4 track, as the rails are too far apart and the stock drops down into the 'four foot'. It's an interesting idea though, as the 'backstage' pointwork could be 00 gauge, but with gauge widening for cosmetic purposes on the scenic plain track. I need to use concrete sleepers though, and this would mean having them specially moulded in something like 17.5mm gauge... it would be much easier with wooden sleepers!

Cheers,

Will

Will, instead of Peco concrete sleeper tack, how about Exactoscale Fast Track bases? The sleeper spacing will be a better visual match for your P4 track then.

Will, instead of Peco concrete sleeper tack, how about Exactoscale Fast Track bases? The sleeper spacing will be a better visual match for your P4 track then.

Good suggestion James, but I have already bought the Peco track and one of the reasons for having the '00' circuit was to get something running ASAP to keep me motivated! Part of me also wants to demonstrate to '00' users just how much of a difference scale track makes. The new Peco code 75 concrete-sleepered track actually looks quite good - just a shame it's in the wrong scale!

Cheers,

Will

To give everyone a flavour of what I hope to create, here are some pictures from Keighley station taken over the last seven years or so...

post-9324-0-14439400-1307387366_thumb.jpg

A typical scene in July 2008, with two types of multiple unit ordered solely for West Yorkshire - the Class 333 electric and the Class 144 diesel. Thanks to the forthcoming Realtrack model, one of these will be much easier to model than the other... (but that won't stop me trying!) Platforms, buildings and overhead line equipment will also need to be scratch built.

post-9324-0-28359100-1307387296_thumb.jpg

One of those photos where you can almost feel the cold - January 2010, and a Northern Rail-liveried Class 142 arrives with a Morecambe service. At present the only option for this unit in model form would be a heavily-modified Hornby model.

post-9324-0-33929000-1307387146_thumb.jpg

For a few years the people of Keighley were treated to regular loco-hauled trains in the form of the daily Leeds-Carlisle service consisting of Arriva MkII coaching stock and EWS Class 37s. 37408 'Loch Rannoch' brings up the rear of this Leeds-bound service in August 2004. I think it goes without saying that this train will be produced in model form - in fact I already have some donor MkII vehicles and one loco.

post-9324-0-94937000-1307387218_thumb.jpg

Just to demonstrate that steam traction isn't always restricted to Platforms 3 and 4! 45407 is dropping off passengers for a special event on the KWVR but many more railtours pass Keighley on their way to the Settle-Carlisle line. Since this photo was taken, Platforms 1 and 2 have been re-painted in dark red and cream to match the KWVR platforms.

More photos to follow...

Moving over to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway platforms:

post-9324-0-22711400-1307388645_thumb.jpg

Taff Vale Railway 0-6-2 No.85 runs round her train. The distinctive station buildings will form the end of the scenic part of the layout, but I'm not looking forward to reproducing the Midland Railway windows.

post-9324-0-59039900-1307388683_thumb.jpg

Following No. 85 along, the mill buildings on Low Mill Lane are visible. These will dominate the backscene, being modelled in low relief or compressed in depth. The locomotive itself may need to be scratchbuilt, depending on whether any of the available TVR loco kits can be adapted to represent this engine.

post-9324-0-31840100-1307388739_thumb.jpg

Plenty of interest as Ivatt 2-6-2T No.41241 arrives at Platform 3 on a demonstration freight and LYR No.957 prepares to depart from Platform 4. Special events and galas will make the perfect excuse for operating an intensive timetable on the layout. The MR turntable (the replacement deck of which came from Garsdale) can be seen on the left.

post-9324-0-11942100-1307388821_thumb.jpg

A shot showing the MR platform canopy and distinctive access ramps as a rare triple-header arrives from Oxenhope.

More to follow...

...and finally:

post-9324-0-46994200-1307390387_thumb.jpg

Standard 4MT 2-6-4T No.80002 sets off up the 1:58 gradient, which will be eased to about 1:80 on the model for better performance. This is my favourite part of the station area, where the cobbled street runs over the River Worth on an arched bridge then dives under the railway line. Because of space limitations in the garage the area south of the platform ends will be slightly condensed to include all these features.

post-9324-0-61575100-1307390464_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way, LYR No.957 is prepared to depart with a driver trainining run in October 2009. In the background is the new Keighley College building which now overshadows the station. Thankfully I won't have to model it, as the layout will be viewed from that side. In fact, I would like to get access to the building some time, as it would provide a fantastic view of the station in the direction the model will be seen.

That's all for now - I'm currently building a bike shed so the garage can be cleared of bikes; one step closer to a tidy railway room!

Cheers,

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Robert, trust me, the carpentry isn't that great when viewed close-up!

No progress to report unfortunately, Summer seems to create lots of other things to do. I'm hoping to make some progress on my bike shed next week - once finished I just need to overhaul my bike, put it in said shed and I'll have the space I need to continue extending the layout round the room.

I keep getting cravings to do some actual modelling (as opposed to baseboard construction) but the last thing I need is to start yet another project. Best to tick some off the list first!

Cheers,

Will

• 5 months later...

Thanks for asking Robert, but there has been no progress on the layout itself. I have, however, built a bike shed which has freed up a lot of room in the garage and allow me to start work on the scenic part of the layout in the New Year. I've also been distracted by my Class 155 project (see seperate thread).

I've been thinking about baseboards and have decided on some kind of open-frame construction as there aren't really any flat areas at all. Photos will follow when I finally get on with it :)

Cheers,

Will

• 1 month later...

Nothing whatsoever! I've been busy building an EMU (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49392-class-325-royal-mail-emu-in-00-gauge/page__fromsearch__1) and before that a DMU (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43481-wypte-class-155-conversion-from-Hornby-153s/page__fromsearch__1), but once the 325 is finished I'll be starting on the baseboards for the scenic part of the layout.

Cheers,

Will

• 3 months later...

Just come across your post Bill having googled 'convert garage model railway'... as I'm looking to take the plunge as soon as the weather improves!! My garage is 'integral' (bedroom over and accessed off entarance hall) so I don't have to do too much in a constructional sense. What you've achieved looks absolutely brilliant!!!... and I've learnt a lot already, but what I'd really be interested in is knowing how you 'dealt with' the up-and-over door.... in terms of proofing it against draughts and providing at least a bit of insulation.

Cheers

Hello Alan,

There are various options for the garage door:

• Brick it up and replace it with a window, but you'd need to follow building regulations if you were to declare the new room as living space if selling the house
  • Leave the door in place but seal it up, so you can build the railway right up to it but you still have a garage if you decide to sell the house
  • Leave the door in operational use, building the railway such that the door can still be opened if needed

I went for the third option, even though the door is permanently locked. I thought this would be for the best as this is our first house and we're unlikely to stay here forever, plus it allows me to bring in bulky materials through the up-and-over door. The downside is that it's virtually impossible to completely seal off, so it can be a little draughty. I fitted wooden strips across the floor and lower walls, with draught-excluding foam which helps a lot. The upper half of the door is more tricky since it opens inwards! I hope to try some sort of brush strips which will reduce draughts but still allow the door to open.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting reading this thread. Regarding your previous post, Will, I went for option 2. My double garage is adjacent to the house, but not integral. I took the decision to lock the doors and build interior walls inside the garage which were then insulated etc.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if BRealistic wants to look at my thread relating to this it's in the Settle & Carlisle Special Interest section under the name Kirkby Luneside.

I think I'm as grateful as you for the space that a garage affords - providing you don't wish to use it for "normal" things.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments, I don't mind at all that you mentioned your thread... in fact I'm off to have a look at it now!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments, I don't mind at all that you mentioned your thread... in fact I'm off to have a look at it now!

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will. I'm a stickler for etiquette and hate the idea of hijacking someone else's thread - especially if it looks like you are trying to "sell yourself". Just happened to see BRealistic's comments!

If you've looked at my thread you will see I'm keen on the S&C, I've looked at your posts before and it's great to see Keighley and Worth Valley here. I have a trip planned in the near future encompassing S&C and K&WV. Should be fun!

Best wishes. Keep up the excellent work!

Jeff

Archived