Trap Points: orientation

Baring the usual discussion of whether they're properly called "Trap points" or "Catch points", I have a few questions. How would the trap point be oriented? Would the switch rail be on the inside or outside of the rail, and would the toe of the switch be towards the running line or the siding? Come to that, would a trap point normally have only the one switch rail?

Perhaps a quick diagram might help illuminate the question:

post-3643-12565849383304_thumb.png

Which one of A, B or C would be "more correct" in general? Or is this one of this "Well...it depends" questions? :unsure:

As discussed in another thread recently, trap points are double-tongued and have been for many decades. They are effectively the switch end of a set of points without the crossing bit (or sometimes with the crossing bit!). Also the trap points will throw the train in the direction of least damage - but down the bank is considered less damaging than onto the running line.

look at http://www.thelineto.../catchpoint.jpg this is looking in the direction of your arrow.

Have not copied it over, because not sure if there's copyright.....

I think there's some clarification needed in the OP as to exactly what is meant by "..Would the switch rail be on the inside or outside of the rail, and would the toe of the switch be towards the running line or the siding?" The drawings don't clarify if the 'bent' bit is the switch.

Thus if the 'bent' bit is the Switch, then 'A' would be relavent, not 'B', in my opinion. It could of course be that Vanders has left off the switch and these are the fixed rails, then yes it's 'B'.

Penlan

Archived