Gauge O Heljan Hymek

I thought I might treat myself to the forthcoming (March 2020) release of the updated Heljan Hymek as I am building my first reasonable size Gauge O layout. Apparently it comes without a number and various outlets are offering it with "painted" numbers, presumably waterslide transfers. Is it possible to buy the raised silver metal numbers that the locos carried? I have also heard that the original version, Heljan's first Gauge O I believe, was not the best model ever, so should I steer clear of this one? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Despatcher said:

I have also heard that the original version, Heljan's first Gauge O I believe, was not the best model ever, so should I steer clear of this one? Thanks

Dunno where you heard that??!! Most opinion I've seen is that it was one of their best and it was a while until they made something as dimensionally accurate to a prototype.

There were some slight livery issues, such as mis-painted buffer cowling on the blue one, AFAIK; the numbers were printed on, and it was a bloomin' heavy model, too - I think the new version may be rather lighter!!

I think Shawplan/ Extreme Etchings also did the metal numbers, as they did as well for the 4mm version.

I bought two of  these after they were discounted to around £300, and it was my first dip of the toe into "O" gauge. They seem to me to be excellent models and IIRC won an award at the time.

Some suffered from the split axle gear problem - I had to replace a couple on mine - but this is long ago and I understand that Heljan have since sorted the problem.

John.

Many thanks indeed. I should be able to get the numbers sorted from that and indeed the works plates. My understanding is that this is a new upgraded release of the Class 35, see below, not due now until March 2020. Thanks also for the comments about the loco. I heard about "flaws" in the original loco from a number of people but I I was tempted by the quote below from the Tower Models website so thought I would just ask the question and your replies have been, as ever honest, helpful and  encouraging.

"Heljan have also announced a re-run of the ever popular Class 35 Hymek. A total of four liveries are being produced. During preparation work to rerun the very first O gauge loco that Heljan produced , it was found that various modifications were needed to bring it up to modern standards. These are now in hand, but it does mean that re-release will be somewhat later than originally expected. Modifications will include weight reduction, LED lighting to replace bulbs and an electronics upgrade to make it easier to convert to DCC. Now expected in 2020." from Tower Models website