New range of Spay Paints

micklner

Guest stuartp

One Military modelers technique uses dark undercoats to accentuate shading/panel lines etc in the paint process.

Experimental use of Games Workshop Chaos Black under Railmatch bauxite (I think the grey one was painted more conventionally):

post-270-127361073548_thumb.jpg

Well its a pound cheaper than the current price for Chaos Black but it doesn't tell you how much you get in the can. Games Workshop spray is 400ml.

edit: Its 400ml too and has a full range http://www.thearmypainter.com/

Might give it a go when the current two cans of Games Workshop paint run out.

I always use Black Undercoat apart from very rarely needing white. Stuart's wagon shows a very good reason why.

Not a smrt@rse answer but I use black primer as an undercoat for black, particularly on black locos. You can also use it on very dark colors, royal blue/midnight blue, deep maroon where it'll give a very solid undercoat and sometimes means less top coats. As a rule for the darker colours, personally I prefer a red oxide.

Thanks PMP

I had always been given to believe (but am far from being competent in matters of paint) that a contrast was required between primer and main colour so that you could see the bits missed and get a suitable number of coats to get the colour to show at its best. I therefore generally use grey for just about everything except under red/maroon and yellow.

I do not recall having seen black used but I can see that under bauxite it or even grey it may have a use ... thought provoking

Guest stuartp

The pic is a bit murky, the shading effect is more pronounced in real life. I'll see if I can get a better pic this evening. It's called 'pre-shading', a lot of military modellers spray a thin line of black over the panel lines before applying the top coat to give the detail a bit of depth. Up until that wagon I'd never bothered but it's now my standard for wagons. Apart from anything else it reduces wagon painting to a 2-stage process, any bits I've missed get covered up by the weathering !

Archived