The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Weedkiller

Tony Davis

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, DIW said:

No, absolutely SO - your choice is to prioritise the wildlife, and that IS a valid choice.

You mean the moral choice!  

Edited by russ p
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Reading all the comments on here, and thanks everyone for your input, and bearing in mind that I have a pet dog who regularly walks across the gravel drive, and as I live in the fens with it's high water table, I am minded to forego the weed-killing liquid option and go for the flame-gun. I realize it might take longer, but I am now concerned about the effects of the liquids on life other than the grass & weeds I want rid of. We do get neighbourhood cats (they crap on my lawn, but I don't want to poison them because of that), Song-thrushes and wood-peckers, plus other visitors (I recently saw a fox in the close, they are coming out of the fields now) and I don't want to cause them any harm.

Thanks again

Tony

• Like 4

Another option might be salt perhaps...

I've used the above to kill all manner of weeds on the drive at work, and perhaps more surprisingly it was effective on some well established buddleia which constantly sprouted across our vehicle access.

I used rock salt but apparently any will do, a strong mixture diluted in hot water and applied fairly liberally to the plants, leaves and root areas...I believe it causes them to dry out and is a fairly permanent fix but could leave the ground unsuitable for replanting...not a problem for me as I wanted rid of all plant life for good.

The buddleia were around eight foot tall with 4-6 inch root balls when I tackled them, cut down flush with the concrete, 20mm holes drilled into the roots and then salted for a few days in a row...2 years later only the occassional shoot now reappears which I gleefully remove on first sight.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Tony Davis said:

Reading all the comments on here, and thanks everyone for your input, and bearing in mind that I have a pet dog who regularly walks across the gravel drive, and as I live in the fens with it's high water table, I am minded to forego the weed-killing liquid option and go for the flame-gun. I realize it might take longer, but I am now concerned about the effects of the liquids on life other than the grass & weeds I want rid of. We do get neighbourhood cats (they crap on my lawn, but I don't want to poison them because of that), Song-thrushes and wood-peckers, plus other visitors (I recently saw a fox in the close, they are coming out of the fields now) and I don't want to cause them any harm.

Thanks again

Tony

Glad to hear that! Glyphosate is seriously nasty stuff, proven to be carcenogenic, and only legal to sell because companies like Monsanto have too much power...

The best way to stop cats crapping on your lawn is to keep it mown - they prefer long grass. Citrus is also good, as they don't like the smell.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Salt or vinegar are both good to get rid of driveway weeds. Apply directly rather than spread widely. I stopped using weed killer many years ago after watching the way it worked on dandelions. They grew uncontrollably then died, just like cancer, which was enough to put me off. I’ve dug them out ever since. Besides, a little exercise is good for the soul.

Cheers,

David

• Thanks 1