A very small micro layout

I was recently inspired by an exhibition to model a TMD around the modern day. However this has proven tricky as there is only 4ft X 16 inches baseboard to do this on. I have already got some buildings but would like to perhaps include a station (Maybe an island platform?). I am really stuck at the moment and I'm open to any suggestions

Just now I looked at 'Brampton Branch' and saw the simplify yet the effectiveness of it. Therefore I implemented my initial ideas to it and rearranged the track plan to make my micro layout. Links to view track plan: ?view=att&th=16f613b8cd8c42a5&attid=0.1&

Edited by TheTrainGuy123
Mistake made

4 feet by 16 inches is plenty of space.... You might be at a push to get a station in there too.
But keep looking at different designs, see what features tempt you most.... and try not to overdo it (more difficult than it might sound!)

I once saw a feature on an EM Gauge minimum space layout which was in a very small space, and which included the "apparent" end of a platform
Nicely modelled too. I'm pretty sure it was called "Villiers Street". Unusual, in that it was designed to be viewed end-on 

EDIT: Here you go - might be a bit longer than your current size available - but you might be able to adapt the design?
http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_villier.html

EDIT 2: I am now singing "Villiers Terrace" by Echo & The Bunnymen, to myself! ;)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2019 at 15:45, TheTrainGuy123 said:

I am really stuck at the moment and I'm open to any suggestions

a few years ago I built a similarly small (4 foot by 1 foot) plank, some inf below on what I did if it's of any help:

good luck with your project.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4ft by 16 inches is loads of space. You'll easily get a layout in there. You won't get the same level of operating as a larger layout but it's a different type of operation that I often find more engaging and enjoyable. With this track plan you could put the small TMD in bottom left hand tracks. Maybe one siding for fueling locos the other a small maintenance shed?

http://www.freetrackplans.com/416-Railcar-Station.php

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTrainGuy123 said:

Thanks for all of the help recently, however any future progress that will be made will be around February as I am currently revising for my mocs - afterwards I'll provide weekly updates!

Oh lovely exams. I found that it was worth it for the long summer holiday though and the period running up to my gcses was actually my most productive modelling time ever because I only had a very small amount of time to do my modelling so it was very condensed and I produced a few layouts I was happy with in the space of a couple weeks. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:57, luke the train spotter said:

Oh lovely exams. I found that it was worth it for the long summer holiday though and the period running up to my gcses was actually my most productive modelling time ever because I only had a very small amount of time to do my modelling so it was very condensed and I produced a few layouts I was happy with in the space of a couple weeks. 

I found I got a lot done thanks to the wonders of revision procrastination...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1