Bell codes on rope worked inclines.

I am looking to identify the bell codes used on any rope worked incline in the UK used to communicate between the engine house at the top and the foot of an incline.

As part of my research in to Bitterley and the Clee Hill incline,I am trying to find out what electric bell codes were in use to communicate between the engine house at the top and the foot of an incline.  I have not found any evidence of communication between the top and foot of the incline by mechanical means in my period of interest 1950s - 60s.

In the book Rope and Chain Haulage I can only find one example of the electric bell codes used on page 57.

Reference is also made "A standard number of basic raps became established, and for narrow gauge haulage, both on the surface and underground, these were set in law, so they were common everywhere in the country"(Pge 58).

Many thanks.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A

On 13/01/2020 at 12:03, Gordon A said:

In the book Rope and Chain Haulage I can only find one example of the electric bell codes

Gordon, Check out the photo on page 206. These are some of the standard bell wraps as laid down in the Mines & Quarries Act  (1954). There was derivation to this for instance if passed for man transport a wrap of three would precede signals.

From memory if the haulage used a single rope, wraps were: 

1. STOP

2: Lower

3: Raise 

I doubt that Clee Hill would have used the main and tail bell codes with it using a braked runner wagon and the coupling interface between rope and set  (Wagons)

In the North East some incline used visual devices supplemented by bells operated by mechanical means as opposed to electrickery.

For instance Copt Hill & Warden Law inclines used wires stretched the length of the incline. Men at the bottom would pull on the wire to raise a wooden disk up an arm indicating to the top of the incline loaded wagons had been attached to rope and were ready to run. As the disk was raised up it rung a small bell. This system was in use to 1959 under NCB auspices. I've never found out how the level crossing and coal depot that crossed the Houghton to Seaham road signalled independently.

Not much help really.

P

Thanks Porcy Mane.

Thank you for the reference.

Given that most inclines made use of balanced working with some assistance from the winding house, how was lower / raise or up and down defined? 

You would always have a set of wagons going up the incline while a set of wagons would be going down the incline at the same time.

On Clee Hill there was stone going down the incline which could be balanced with general goods going up the incline to destined for the goods depot at the top of Clee Hill.

I think Clee Hill is unusual in that the runner brake wagon is always at the lower end of the rake of wagons in both directions.

Gordon A

• Agree 1