• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Dorothy has a smaller diameter cutting head, than the Chilterns pair (Florence and Cecilia).

The London ones are too, infact the three London tunnels get progressively smaller as you get to Euston. It's because the trains are travelling slower, so cause less of a pressure wave as they enter the tunnels. It's one of the mistakes the Japanese made building their first high speed lines, the tunnels are too narrow. They can't speed up the trains without causing too large a pressure wave. Hence the duck billed Shinkansen, to try and mitigate the pressure wave. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

32 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

the tunnels are too narrow.

It is noticeable how large the tunnels are on the high speed lines in Korea - and there are a lot of them, since Korea is a mountainous country and they simply sliced through the mountains rather than curve around them. There is no noticeable pressure effect within the trains as you enter and emerge from the tunnels.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Following the earlier video on the previous page, another look at Euston.....

I think that the retaining wall is the one that the failed court case was about that ChruscPackham and a motley crew lost at the appeal court.  Good video.

Jamie

• Like 2

Long Itchington Wood tunnel.

Following the removal and transportation of TBM, Dorothy's cutting head, back to the north portal site, the remainder of the 130 metre long TBM support rig was to be towed back through the new tunnel, to its starting place.

This was due to have ben completed in the last few days.

As reported earlier, the TBM will be overhauled and reassembled at the north portal, in preparation for commencing the second bore, in December.

One interesting snippet about the first tunnel bore, that some of you will have already read.

The accuracy target for the first 1.6 mile tunnel bore, was only 75mm (approx. 3 inchs).

Dorothy emerged only 25mm (one inch) off dead centre.

Personally, I think that's amazing.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not allowed as not a forum member!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

That really is magnificent, both the enormous construction machine and the viaduct. 

The whole construction process is fascinating and brilliant engineering..

Jamie

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from a sunny Charente.   After a strenuous morning chain sawing and log splitting I got down to some serious work, namely updating the tunnel progress graph.  After many false starts I eventually got the two West Ruislp TBM's to register on the graph.   I then found that Florence and Cecelia had been updated yesterday so have plotted that data.  Florence is getting on well with 171 metres in 8 days. Cecilia probably had more maintenance and only did 14 metres.   They are both well over a third of the way through their journey.

Here's the current graph.

1676858376_HS2Tunnels061022.png.3f0e9a0544372a982f122037200a5ec4.png

The little blue line at the bottom right is where Shushila and Caroline will show.  I had to enter some dummy data to get the lines edited and set up.  I'll put the pukkah data in due course when they get started.  Caroline is in Yellow and Sushilla in Blue.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lo and behold when I checked on YouTube a few minutes ago, Sushila has been launched today and started work.

I will now have to put the launch date on the spreadsheet.

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2022 at 15:37, Ron Ron Ron said:

Can you see the photos now?

Sorry Ron

Still nothing to see.

Yes I can. Thanks for the tweak.

(I clicked the old link again and got nothing but the photos are up on the original post)

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2022 at 15:37, Ron Ron Ron said:

Can you see the photos now?

No, unfortunately not - same message as before.

SORRY - that was for the link given above. The photos do show up in the posts above now. Doh....

Edited by KingEdwardII