The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Nicholas Parsons dies

Liam

Finding Just a Minute on iPlayer introduced me to radio comedy and by extension, talk radio and podcasts. I feel I have a lot to thank Nicholas Parsons for! I have always thought his gentlemanly and jovial manner set a fine example. I don't remember the other much talked about work of his, but it sounds like he packed in an awful lot in his 96 years. A life to be celebrated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

He was of course an actor before he got the gig from the Norwich Cattle Market TV Company, and often appears in supporting roles on vintage films and early TV programmes on Squawking Pictures.  I remember reading somewhere that he used to have a stammer and the acting and TV presenting helped him with it.  He was also allegedly known as the fastest quizmaster when on Sale of the Century.  Sale of the Century was the last TV programme my late mother watched on the night she died, she loved the show but my dad hated it (there again he hated all game shows, so I don't think it's a reflection on Nicholas Parsons.)

To have reached this great age and still have been entertaining well into his ninth decade is a remarkable achievement and well deserving of all the tributes he has been getting.  A sad loss.

• Like 3

Copied from  Castle Aching thread

Anyone know where exactly his father sent him to do his famous Glasgow Engineering Apprenticeship ?

In ability to switch into the lingo, there seems little difference between him and (apprentice welder) Billy Connolly, though I imagine NP must have been a Premium Apprentice of the Churchward/Ivatts/Bulleid variety.

dh

• 2 weeks later...