Seem to be inadvertently damaging model when unpacking it

Hi, newbie here.

This will probably seem like a somewhat daft post to the experienced modellers here, but I’m causing myself no end of grief! I wondered if I might be trying to store and / or handle my brand new N gauge loco incorrectly, as it seems to have developed a lot of pin-prick sized nicks to the bodywork and one or two hairline scratches. They’re not too obvious at a distance (although the loco could hardly be described as in ‘mint condition’ now) , but after limited handling I’m almost afraid to touch the model again. 

My chief issue is the Farish 4F, which is a challenge to handle as the tender is permanently attached by a wire. I took it out of the original packaging a couple of times, and then placed it flat in a plastic stock box with snug pre-cut foam inserts. On retrieving it again, I noticed all the damage for the first time. I’ve only handled the loco by the edges if possible, and sad to say that it’s slightly putting me off modelling if stock is this easy to damage.

Is this just a case of careless over-handling, or is minor cosmetic damage common in these tiny models? Sorry for the rant, I’m just feeling a bit deflated.

Are cosmetic fixes possible for minor damage like this?

Edited by jonhinds

Pretty much standard concerns. new locos etc  are pristine when purchased and probably aren't after being un boxed and tested by the dealer.  Tight fitting foam will tend to mark the surface, maybe having a slightly looser fit is the answer, slightly looser fit in the box and double boxing it so the inner boxes rest on bubble wrap in the outer box.  

It is distressing seeing new models deteriorate, I remember my first super detail Hornby MN class.   It shed its footsteps most times it was used and spent 10 years on shed until my son became more careful and I made some more resilient brass parts.   Meanwhile pre 1965 Hornby Dublo WC class locos handled the daily Southern through train.

Obviously a nice sealed dust free display cabinet will protect models.   Ours came from Argos, A well designed layout will mean you don't actually need to mauler the stock around much,  Some of my stock manage 6 months or more without being handled derailments permitting, but most exhibition style layouts with cassettes and loco lifts will leave a trail of scratches and missing bits.    

Its a fact of life.   Its why people weather their locos.  To hide the damage.  

A friend had a kit built professionally and it had the edges chipped within seconds of being on the layout, (and off the track on its side.)   Luckily it was black and a blast of Poundland Satin Black paint soon hid the evidence.

When I started modelling we added detail on new models, now we buy highly detailed models and then spend time re attaching the detail as i falls off and trying to restore the damaged paint.,    Much like restoring old cars and motorbikes though its easier to get N gauge trains onto the kitchen table for a quick bit of maintenance than the old Black Prince  (Guzzi)

• Like 1

Sliding models into foam edged places in a stockbox will inevitably cause some wear and tear.  This can be reduced by first standing the model on a piece of acid-free tissue paper and bring the paper up the sides of the model so that it is lifted between thumb and finger with the tissue paper between them and the model..  The friction when putting the loco into the stockbox is then between the foam and the tissue paper and it helps avoid any snagging on fine detail.  I think you will also find it makes handling tender locos easier as the tissue paper provides support for both elements - with care, the loco and tender can be picked up in one hand and the palm of the other placed underneath the loco as it is carried.  If tissue paper is too fragile, then very thin plastic sheet works but be careful that some plastics will cause their own damage by reaction with the paint on the model.

Harold.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jonhinds said:

Hi, newbie here.

This will probably seem like a somewhat daft post to the experienced modellers here, but I’m causing myself no end of grief! I wondered if I might be trying to store and / or handle my brand new N gauge loco incorrectly, as it seems to have developed a lot of pin-prick sized nicks to the bodywork and one or two hairline scratches. They’re not too obvious at a distance (although the loco could hardly be described as in ‘mint condition’ now) , but after limited handling I’m almost afraid to touch the model again. 

My chief issue is the Farish 4F, which is a challenge to handle as the tender is permanently attached by a wire. I took it out of the original packaging a couple of times, and then placed it flat in a plastic stock box with snug pre-cut foam inserts. On retrieving it again, I noticed all the damage for the first time. I’ve only handled the loco by the edges if possible, and sad to say that it’s slightly putting me off modelling if stock is this easy to damage.

Is this just a case of careless over-handling, or is minor cosmetic damage common in these tiny models? Sorry for the rant, I’m just feeling a bit deflated.

Are cosmetic fixes possible for minor damage like this?

How old is it?

If it's new I would take it back as there seems to be something wrong. Never had any problems like that with general handling. Maybe get in touch with Farish/Bachmann and ask for their advice?

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/page/customer-support

The only other thing I can think of is whether the "foam" is reacting with the model.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

An interesting topic , not just for N gauge.

I think there is a culture of denial among many on RMweb who are apparently able to accept the way modern RTR models are assembled, by nimble-fingers, perfect lighting, tweezers, inexhaustible supply of similar parts if one is lost, and possibly a jeweller's eyeglass or similar,

so that when parts fall off in transit or handling, "it's no trouble to pop them back on".....   yeah, right.

I recently bought another Heljan 00 Garratt and one of the tiny lifting hooks on the front tank top fell off yesterday while re-packing it.  It is too small to place in position with its two mounting prongs, and I used to be an optician's technician with unaided eyes and hands, so there is only a jeweller's eyeglass and tweezers etc with any chance of putting it back as intended by the factory.

I have given up on fixing most small parts which fall off, but I am a little older now and sometime a younger family member will have a go, usually that works.

But I do keep hearing, " after all we are all modellers here, aren't we? "

It's nor quite the same as packaging damage but I just wanted to bleat, " no, we are not all blessed with microscopic vision and hands!".

edit, sorry that wasn't quite he subject of storage and handling issues.  I think tissue paper around a stored model might be useful if paint is soft, but my many older models don't seem to suffer damage in old shoe boxes with screwed-up tissue paper packing.

Edited by robmcg
  • Agree 1

Thanks folks for your thoughtful responses.

I guess this is the hidden trade-off with the delicate and super-detailed models available now. Perhaps another way to look at it is that real rolling stock is rarely pristine, so perhaps the odd scratch and chip is a bit more prototypical!

I’ll try the acid-free tissue paper wrap as suggested, as I think it might be the foam inserts causing the wear. Hopefully once I get a layout up and running I shouldn’t need to handle the locos directly all that often.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HLT 0109 said:

Sliding models into foam edged places in a stockbox will inevitably cause some wear and tear.  This can be reduced by first standing the model on a piece of acid-free tissue paper and bring the paper up the sides of the model so that it is lifted between thumb and finger with the tissue paper between them and the model..  The friction when putting the loco into the stockbox is then between the foam and the tissue paper and it helps avoid any snagging on fine detail.  I think you will also find it makes handling tender locos easier as the tissue paper provides support for both elements - with care, the loco and tender can be picked up in one hand and the palm of the other placed underneath the loco as it is carried.  If tissue paper is too fragile, then very thin plastic sheet works but be careful that some plastics will cause their own damage by reaction with the paint on the model.

Harold.

That sounds like a great scheme for N gauge. I use something similar in 4mm, but with pieces of bubblewrap cut to an appropriate size, to make a kind of carrying sling. Otherwise, especially if detailing parts have been added, any attempt to return to the factory packaging can result in damage.

John

• Like 1