Modelling a putting green / golf course

jukebox

There's lots of players here on RMWeb, but has anyone ever seen a golf course modelled - or more correctly, a putting green, bunkers, and pin?

I've a large area to scenic on Stockrington, and @gordon s flippantly suggested I use part of it to model a golf course, but the more I think about it, the less reason I can see not to. It's probably less work than the mustard field I had been giving some thought too...

I did a bit of a search, but other than wading through 23 pages of people complaining about their golf game, didn't see anything obvious here on RMWeb.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Just rushing off to a Winter League match, Scott (providing the course is open), so I’ll get back to you later today.

It was a tongue in cheek suggestion......:D

Oh, don't worry - I know you weren't serious!  But it's not a bad idea...  and I'm not sure I want to go to all the effort to try and model a crop there - it just ends up a big nothing space, too similar to open pasture.  It's not suitable for industrial, and I'm done with residential...

But if I used a space of 400mm x 500mm to represent the end of the fairway, and lined it with trees on each side, and a small green - think 200mm dia - at the end. Some sand traps around the front and back...

It'd be compressed from the real thing, but I think I could get the business end of a hole to work quite well.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Match cancelled with a waterlogged course, so back home again....:mellow:

When I saw the hill in that landscape shot, my comment was very tongue in cheek. Having looked again this morning, my original thought was a tee at the top of the hill down to a green by the river, but the angles of the hill plus the railway lines probably mean that's not possible. In any case a typical par 3 would be 120-170 yards, so even going for 100 yards (300') would need 1200mm. Maybe there is 1200mm, but it looks like a straight line between both areas would go over the railway lines, so a definite no.

Here's an alternative. The area next to the river is a perfect place for a green, with a small tunnel through the embankment to the next tee, with a fairway disappearing into the distance. You already have the tail end of a fairway in the lighter green area.

Something like this....

948276443_0102z.jpg.d2ee297e6e2ac5299eeeb1ae844182f2(2).jpg.40843ca887b004456697eadaa607b402.jpg

I have seen a signs of a golf course modelled before, but they always seem far too populated and busy. The key is to keep it simple and low key. The green area is perfect as you have the hazard of the river and any bunkering. Two guys on the green etc is all you need. Any more starts to look twee....

The green itself would be generally flat, but perhaps with some very gentle slopes. Everything is fairly subtle or it will look like a crazy golf course. Bunker wise, par 3's tend to have 2 or 3 bunkers to protect the green. With the river protecting the left side and back, there would probably be a bunker front right and another mid to back right.

I'm sitting here laughing as I never expected to be a golf course designer when I got up this morning....:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

Perhaps more of a taste,than a complete hole!

Something like this:

golf.jpg.fe01ea2b4333488755704814a1d7c6f2.jpg

With the end of the fairway running down the slope to the right, opening out to a green, with bunkers.  Some trees on the approach...  I can terrafrom a nice level area for the green

That would let me leave the left hand side rural to blend into the existing valley...

This sort of a view from the layout edge, looking down toward the pin:

image.png.5ef540516a1ad2f62c9749e75d8e34b5.png

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

golf.jpg

My club’s (Eastbourne MRS) N Gauge layout “Upperton” features part of a golf course which fills an area over a tunnel mouth. Designed so it has the tee for the No.1 hole & the green for 18th next to the club house (a Faller kit), some of their fairway’s & bunkers and another tee on the extreme right of the layout with the rest of the course left to the imagination.  It’s an old layout which has recently been refreshed and awaiting a small re-population of Preiser figures, if they do another run.

Don’t see that many Golf course scenes on the exhibition circuit currently though I have viewed a similar technique used on a 00 layout. Cricket grounds however, certainly seem in vogue at the moment!

• Like 3

If you go ahead with the green in that position, Scott, it is normal for there to be a path to the next tee. Tees are usually set slightly away from the greens to avoid anyone getting hit, so typically 50 yards away. Some are closer, but would then be protected by trees. Teeing areas are usually rectangular, flat surfaces and can have various tee positions on the same section. The Ladies tee would have red markers and is often a separate tee further forward.

The yellow tee position would be next and then further back, would be white. Some clubs have competition tees with either blue or black markers and these may again be separate tees, but much further back.

You often find water around greens, either in the form of a pond or water filled ditch to make the approach shot more difficult. I'll try and sort out some pics later today.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gordon s said:

That course in your pic, looks familiar. Do you know where it is or is just an image picked up off the web?

It was random, as it illustrated more-or-less what I had in mind.  Turns out it's Old Thorns,  North Hampshire.

https://www.agolfingexperience.co.uk/golf/old-thorns-golf-course-892

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was a bit hot here today - 43C - so I didn't venture upstairs. 

But I'll do so in good time, and produce a scale sketch of the space I have to populate.

That should help frame any ideas...

Cheers

Scott

Sometimes, but not always. Generally speaking the problem is from wayward tee shots or long iron shots where even the best golfers may hit an errant shot that rises rapidly, but often off the to the left or right. This is Sonning which is right next to the Paddington main line and trains pass every few minutes. Here they have trees all along the side, which not only protect the railway, but go some way to  reduce the noise pollution of HST's thundering by. I think that problem may have resolved itself......;)

913870382_Screenshot2020-02-04at15_51_49.jpg.eb00c1e4a37bcaecd2aa6cc2634c1b01.jpg

Shots to a green are frequently less than 150 yards, so tend to be high shots to land on the green. This causes fewer problems than down each side of the fairway. In your case where the fairway is some way from the railway, it's less of an issue. The other thing is the fairway is raised well above the local topography, so it could be argued the view walking down the fairway would be a plus and  owners wouldn't want to block that view with a whole line of trees.

Similar situation at Woking...

2099371722_Screenshot2020-02-04at16_15_03.jpg.e2ac84cf98d543d3bfe93d71beae7187.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Okay, so here's the canvas:

391447805_Design3.jpg.3d031249cdbb0a43e066e147a9ca457c.jpg

But not all that is available.

I want to continue the hedge line from across the far side of tracks, suggesting the railway came after the properties were divided.

There's also the embankment sides, which are un-useable as part of a gold course.

And the left most side of the ridge is a little steep, so I will set up another boundary long that.  Observation: Looking at my sketch now that I've drawn it, the yellow property line would more likely be parallel to the green one.

So that leaves:

882282982_Design4.jpg.ae936134fd7cdd88fa73bc5dad5ed3f7.jpg

For context, and to show why some areas are out of bounds

Looking left to right:

0602a.jpg.a221f9bfd0c3248cd8bd970f314edc3e.jpg

Looking right to left

0602b.jpg.63d7a34880a362abe3dec5bcfc81a5b2.jpg

For me this is the most promising area - I can form up a green in the centre right...

This next view from the layout edge shows the slope is relatively mild

0602c.jpg.479fdfb258458fb82ffc8401f17ba1f3.jpg

That's a usable area of about 1200mm in length, 700mm at the top of the slope, 300mm at the bottom.

A green, 200mm dia, 3/4 of the way down the hill would work for me.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

You would need a flat green 3/4 down the hill, normally the green would be elevated at the rear of the green to catch the balls. 

You could have the course going up the hill. I have played several greens with an up hill approach, if the green is going up hill the bottom of the green usually is always flat to allow the ball to come to rest (as the balls will always run down the slope of the green, or have a 2 or 3 tiered green.

• Like 1

Okay gents, so I've convinced myself this is an interesting challenge.

Talk to me about golf courses in the North East.  I assume they aren't the hyper-manicured affairs we see on TV in the USA - but Gordon, you mentioned the cross-cut pattern of the grass; would that have been "a thing" pre-war, or is it a 1950's+ maturation?

Consett and District Golf Club:

1627467112_ConsettandDistrictgolfclub.jpg.e20df3602fe9bba8396273b5de0f59b0.jpg

Ripon City Golf Club:

1389207875_RiponCityGolfclub.jpg.1fad96ff8cd7042b4b47366498f43ce3.jpg

Golf course above Rosedale Abbey:

1967838619_GolfcourseaboveRosedaleabbey.jpg.9febda3fdddf7a29a4c3fb24b1d3c174.jpg

The Ripon City one in particular is a good match for my thoughts... minus the water hazard to the left.

The variety of treatments to the greens leaves a lot of leeway.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1