Tehachapi Loop Webcam

Live at the moment, some classic Tehachapi operating wrinkles.  There are two EBs stationary, one at Marcel and one at Woodford.  There is a WB stack at Cable also stationary.  A WB Z train which has higher priority is being threaded through them all.  

The WB at Cable has a pair of KCS Southern Belles in the consist...

1739910897_southernbelles.JPG.d366e69a4889e7474bf85cffdfb29341.JPG

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

I note it took around 3 mins from the last car exiting to the right before the next loco entering from the right at the entry/exit signals.

That's the sort of model running only my Free-mo friends can love.  ;)

Thank goodness for rapid transit. :wub:

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

A steam locomotive passed through Tehachapi on its way west (north) around the loop etc.

dampflok00.JPG.8e6ba3cc4e988c5b9bcf13207e8005e9.JPG

Or to be more accurate, a kit of parts for a steam locomotive being carried on flat cars...

Still, made a nice change from bl00dy stack trains.  Lord, stack trains are dull.  And long.  And dull.  Very, very, very dull.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apparently there was a derailment at Cliff, north of the loop I think, on Thursday evening when a BNSF Z train sideswiped a UP manifest that was in the siding waiting for the BNSF chap to pass. One of the most in accessible parts of the line I am told, so might disrupt traffic for a bit - although knowing the US guys the route will be up and running again in no time!

Tehachapi has a fair number of derailments, probably because of the combination of severe curvature and grade, possibly exacerbated by PSR.

We've been here before... in the late 70s and early 80s railroads cut themselves to the bone and then ran the axles off the biggest trains they could.  

Fortunately, for the most part, the right of way is better than it was back then.  But if some bright spark with an MBA starts talking about cost savings through deferred maintenance, head for the hills