Excellent service from Bachmanns spare parts dept.

Firecracker

• RMweb Gold

Credit where it’s due and all that...

At the Manchester exhibition last year I picked up a very cheap Bachmann jinty off the club secondhand stall.  Sold as seen, described as a poor runner and all the steps were missing.  The poor running turned out to be due to absolutely filthy pickups and an incinerated gaugemaster DCC decoder, this left the missing steps.  It then sat in my ‘get to it eventually’ box until mid last week.  Not expecting stunning results, because the steps are part of the body shell and it had been bought secondhand (which I stated in the email), I emailed Bachmann.  I received a very prompt reply from one Jennifer Ayres, saying that they didn’t/couldn’t supply new steps (as I’d suspected) but they had some recovered ones they could supply.  An airing of the old debit card later and they arrived today.  Excellent service.

B1ED53BF-193C-4CAE-AC2F-8E785A6BCCF8.jpeg.a8ca0d8413126a6aba44aa1e76b318be.jpeg

Owain

• Like 13

• 1 year later...

Also on the subject of parts for older Bachmann models, I have today sent an enquiry via their 'contact us' service/repair form to see if they can help me find some detail packs for a few A1 Pacifics 32-552 and similar which I have bought second hand from Ebay and Hattons, but which lack the detail pack(s).

It's the three front buffer lights which would be tricky to make from scratch.

Here's hoping. There are many reports of excellent service from Bachmann so I will remain guardedly optimistic , having originally thought 'no chance'.

Any other source for the front lights steps and cylinder drains and brakerods would be most welcome, Ebay seems not to list them for these models. 

Here is a recent Hattons purchase... 75 quid including delivered tracked to NZ

60130_A1_32-557-PO07_202107271445_3735236_Qty1_1ab.jpg.4edb1078e4ca0d664b9517c2b316bd09.jpg

Several of these A1 models appear to be selling at under 90 pounds second hand quite regularly which strikes me as very good value.

Similarly V2s   but that's another story, the DCC-ready versions being rather rare, and the new soon-to-be-released versions quite pricey.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robmcg said:

Also on the subject of parts for older Bachmann models, I have today sent an enquiry via their 'contact us' service/repair form to see if they can help me find some detail packs for a few A1 Pacifics 32-552 and similar which I have bought second hand from Ebay and Hattons, but which lack the detail pack(s).

Here's hoping. There are many reports of excellent service from Bachmann so I will remain guardedly optimistic , having originally thought 'no chance'.

Any other source for the front lights steps and cylinder drains and brakerods would be most welcome, Ebay seems not to list them for these models. 

Here is a recent Hattons purchase... 75 quid including delivered tracked to NZ

60130_A1_32-557-PO07_202107271445_3735236_Qty1_1ab.jpg.4edb1078e4ca0d664b9517c2b316bd09.jpg

Several of these A1 models appear to be selling at under 90 pounds second hand quite regularly which strikes me as very good value.

Similarly V2s   but that's another story, the DCC-ready versions being rather rare, and the new soon-to-be-released versions quite pricey.

Early A1’s are generally reasonably priced but beware those with the first issue motor - it runs ok but wont pull the skin off a rice pudding! I’ve bought an immaculate’North Eastern in this state. Bachmann very helpful but the longer replacement motor needs a new cradle and the gearing is different - its not a straight forward swap. 

I’m sure Bachmann will be able to help but if they cant the electric lights at least are accessories in the Hornby super detail Tornado. Not sure if the draincocks are included though Hornby A4 would be very similar (and are finer than the chunky Bachmann version). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Early A1’s are generally reasonably priced but beware those with the first issue motor - it runs ok but wont pull the skin off a rice pudding! I’ve bought an immaculate’North Eastern in this state. Bachmann very helpful but the longer replacement motor needs a new cradle and the gearing is different - its not a straight forward swap. 

I’m sure Bachmann will be able to help but if they cant the electric lights at least are accessories in the Hornby super detail Tornado. Not sure if the draincocks are included though Hornby A4 would be very similar (and are finer than the chunky Bachmann version). 

Thanks for that Mike, I hadn't thought of the Hornby version as a source of parts, duh.  

I'm struggling to find a photo of a Hornby Peppercorn A1 with the 3 black electric front lower lights fitted, but one presumes they are in a detail pack...  but not perhaps with Railroad versions?  I shall keep looking.  Also for a part number if it is available.

Good point about the Hornby part like drain cocks being finer than Bachmann, too.

Cheers.

I shall have to investigate the various iterations of Hornby's 60163 but at least the standard? version with accessory pack has the three lights...

A1_detail_s-l1600a_r1320.jpg.0440e0b8a382f60708578b3925530b09.jpg

from this model, R number not given in the Ebay ad.. edit possibly R3098 ?

A1_detail_s-l1600.jpg.2b7860aeaf8aa3655341c839b878b508.jpg

I can't believe I never thought of Hornby as a source of parts for a Bachmann model and and imagined trying to scratch build something!

I had also forgotten how good the Hornby model is!

aha on Ebay 4 quid plus post...

A1_accessories_s-l1600.jpg.c40ab7e537af402f5ee6902538284c31.jpg

Thanks again Mike. Isn't it weird how an answer was staring me in the face but I didn't see it!

:)

Edited by robmcg
idiocy
  • Like 1

Finally found a pic of the Hornby A1 and wonder why I never bought a blue version!  Note front lights fitted...

60163_A1_hm162_hornby_1a_r2080.jpg.e9e1d54a72dbb6e6f6a442704580cc06.jpg

To be honest, is this R3206 (or R3098 for the BR green version) as good as a Bachmann version? In some ways it may be better. No cab droop, better detail around trailing truck...  now, where do I buy one for 70 quid?  :)

Edited by robmcg
more foolishness

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hi Robbie,

Bachmann do have A1 detail packs in stock (they're one of the items I order from Bachmann quite regularly) but they split the detailing parts into two packs: one includes small parts - hoses, cab doors, front screw link coupling, front steps, lamp irons with electric lamps and a pair of separate white lamps, while the other includes large parts - loco and tender brake rods, plus drain cock pipes. 

You'll need to specify which pack you need, or specifically ask for both, if that's what you need.  If you just ask for an A1 detailing pack you'll get the one with doors, steps and lamp irons but not the other one with the brake rods and drain cocks (I made this mistake a couple of times - slow learner!).  Also, I don't think they currently have any packs left with BR dark green doors, but seemingly plenty with LNER/early BR (ER) green - I don't know the situation with packs including BR blue doors.  The packs are currently priced at £5.00 each, same price for either type, plus postage.

Hope that helps.

Pete T.

• Thanks 1

Pleased to report that Jenni at Bachmann answered with an Email advising that the A1 accessory packs are available for UKP 5 plus a bit for postage to NZ. No BR green versions though...  but that only affects cab doors I think.

What brilliant service!     Why was I worried?  :) 

They even sent pictures of the parts packs...

1331956469_60130_A1_00accpackgreen13755.jpg.e9c320c1d7ac3e1682f68fab60815ca0.jpg

442479042_60130_A1_DSC_3652e13756.jpg.077fd38d56ad92592938be82981613fe.jpg

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 2