Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Garage Roof

sb67

Bit of a random question but I'm just after an opinion.

I've got to renew my asbestos garage roof, at first I just thought it would be a straight replacement using steel panels. Having had a few people come round the best quote I've had is for a coated steel sheet, local builders have also mentioned an alternative of a boarded and felt roof, similar to a shed but using stronger materials for a garage. 

I was wondering if anybody has had experience of either roof and what their thoughts are? 

Personally I'd go with the sheet steel, a board and felt roof will need the felt renewing at some time. Some is very long lived though, our previous clubhouse was done with some with a 10 year warranty but it wasn't a cheap Job.

I replaced my rotten shed roof with steel sheet a good many years ago, quite easy to do and cost me about £50.

I have a large garage/workshop at the side of the house, pretty much self built, profile steel sheet with a couple of rows of translucent fibreglass (I think) roof gives a very good place to work as well. Only issue is a certain amount of condensation in winter although you can get fully insulated or lined sheets to stop that.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If the garage is just that (not used for the railway) then profiled sheet steel (RK51?) is suitable and comes in very long lengths, easy to fix and long lasting. 

A boarded and felted roof will need substantially more support than what was there for a cement board roof (it's not asbestos) the boards are 18mm thick and need support at 450-600mm intervals  spanning a garage of 3.2M they will need to be 6"x2" for 400 centres and 7"x2" for 600mm centres, the felt covering will probably last 10+ years now as it's nothing like it used to be, but I'd probably go for the steel as it's quicker.

The cement board is only a problem if it leaves your property, it can be used in concrete bases for things like sheds as it's encapsulated, Most skip companies will take it if warned in advance and it is bagged within the skip.  Soak it first before removing it and don't be tempted to smash it or cut it with a saw (dust)

Whilst undamaged asbestos cement sheets are 'relatively safe' they have to be removed and disposed of correctly.

The links below documents the approved method of removing an asbestos cement sheet roof.

<https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf>

For disposal off site you must comply with this document <https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em9.pdf>

Last but not least for your own protection ensure you get a valid Waste Transfer Note from whoever takes the stuff away <https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/duty-of-care-waste-transfer-note-template>

If you just pay 'some bloke £50' to take it away and it is subsequently found 'dumped in a ditch' and can be traced back to you then expect a hefty fine.

Regards,

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys. All quotes I've had have included safe  disposal of the asbestos. The thickness of the steel sheet is 0.7mm, that  seems really thin? 

The best quote so far has come from a company called Compton Spares who are a nationwide firm and a Which trusted trader. They give a certificate for the asbestos disposal.

• Like 2