Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

On 10/01/2023 at 08:12, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thank you - good to hear track building and structures are making progress (your existing Post Office building is a fantastic example of an N-Scale scratchbuild).

I do wonder if you’ve got me mixed up with another Keith ( @Frutigen ) - I know I’m looking forward to more videos of his layout too, but my own plans had to be scrapped last year to accommodate changing family needs and I’m waiting to start over once a problem with a damp wall in the room I can now use has been addressed (after the worst of the winter).  Not to worry, Keith.

My apologies, I’m getting my Keith’s mixed up. I’ll look forward to hearing more on your plans and sorry to hear you have had some damp issues.

The structures are certainly starting to appear and one in particular, which I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned in my videos, will be one located at the front of the layout as the tracks swing back out to the outside of the board. I’ll add something on this one in my next video update.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

My apologies, I’m getting my Keith’s mixed up. I’ll look forward to hearing more on your plans and sorry to hear you have had some damp issues.

Master bedroom damp issue here too. The roofers are coming in 3 weeks (first called them out 2 months ago...) to mitigate the core reason for the damp ingress. All accelerated by the post drought deluge...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Just thought I's post a couple of photos of the ETR set and also the restaurant coach which has a particularly nice and well applied livery.

JYKI5288.JPG.a6edd32be6fbd7270ecf9a3b6795c5df.JPG

VEDA2336.JPG.6e3a4e19ed626383aff83f1318cc71e7.JPG

JUOB0932.JPG.e899594614fce7f6b541f4c40f58cc01.JPG

Also, here is my latest video layout update with some video of the full 7 car ETR set running.

Have a good evening.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi there, nice to see the update, and to see the full 7-car train running.  In the video you invite comments on a couple of areas.  If I might add some thoughts here on RMweb:

Handbuilt v bought track: I know some modellers do knock out handbuilt points quickly, but If your priority is to see trains run, I’d agree bought track can often save a lot of time.  I don’t have a lot of experience, but I have found painting railsides and neat ballasting can still make a huge difference to the appearance of bought track anyway.

In terms of DC v DCC, you mention sound is not a big factor (fair point with electrics - unless you’re running DBAG or ÖBB Siemens ES 64 U class Taurus locos and want to hear them sing).  If sound is not a key requirement I think the case for DC is strong, especially when you factor in older locos in the fleet.  The one drawback I find with running DC is that I like headlights, and on some of my locos they only really show when the power is turned up for running at high speed.  As you point out on the video however, the loco shed is the key area to think about - wiring it up could be a project in its own right.

Hope that’s OK.  Look forward to seeing the new building, Keith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That’s a great update, Jeremy, and the full length Pendolino looks really good cruising down the main line. 

Thinking about your questions, I think building your own pointwork would work if the project was just a loco depot, but for a large layout like this it’s probably just too much extra work. 

As for DCC, I agree there’s little need for sound with electric trains. For me, the benefits are improved slow running of old locos (although remotoring is another approach), constant speed on gradients (not an issue on Gelternau I think), and much simplified wiring with no control panel, although you then have the complexity of fitting decoders to old models. If you’re happier wiring the layout than wiring the locos then DC is the logical choice. 

As the decoder market moves on I see two trends that might affect older n gauge models. On the bright side, decoders are getting ever smaller, which makes it easier to fit them into the model with less surgery although the wiring can still be a faff. But it seems the demand for simple wired decoders might be shrinking as more complex interfaces take over, and you have to wonder how long this segment of the market will be supported. 

I’m looking forward to the next update.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi there, nice to see the update, and to see the full 7-car train running.  In the video you invite comments on a couple of areas.  If I might add some thoughts here on RMweb:

Handbuilt v bought track: I know some modellers do knock out handbuilt points quickly, but If your priority is to see trains run, I’d agree bought track can often save a lot of time.  I don’t have a lot of experience, but I have found painting railsides and neat ballasting can still make a huge difference to the appearance of bought track anyway.

In terms of DC v DCC, you mention sound is not a big factor (fair point with electrics - unless you’re running DBAG or ÖBB Siemens ES 64 U class Taurus locos and want to hear them sing).  If sound is not a key requirement I think the case for DC is strong, especially when you factor in older locos in the fleet.  The one drawback I find with running DC is that I like headlights, and on some of my locos they only really show when the power is turned up for running at high speed.  As you point out on the video however, the loco shed is the key area to think about - wiring it up could be a project in its own right.

Hope that’s OK.  Look forward to seeing the new building, Keith.

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your reply and useful comments. I think I will go with bought track and as you say, some neat ballasting and weathered rails will make all the difference.

I'm 100% going to go DC, the shed area will be challenging but I think the isolated sections will all be worthwhile. The Taurus's do sound good but I'm still not convinced that in N gauge electric locos sound good.

The new building is on the workbench this afternoon and will feature in my next update.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shanks522 said:

Nice update Jeremy, I didn’t realise the Swiss had adopted 319’s 😂😂😂

04B5FBCE-0038-45E3-85FD-90B869D354E6.jpeg.91878e4e894afbe2d08351b8bdcfddd5.jpeg

Graham. 

Hi Graham,

Well spotted, its my Revolution Trains 321 with the most awful coupling system that loves to make the bogies derail on the corners, but only when it runs in one particular direction. The model itself is brilliant though and the detailing is lovely.

You may see my part finished NSE liveried 317 running again soon... watch this space. I may have a BR trains running session in the not too distant future, just for fun!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frutigen said:

That’s a great update, Jeremy, and the full length Pendolino looks really good cruising down the main line. 

Thinking about your questions, I think building your own pointwork would work if the project was just a loco depot, but for a large layout like this it’s probably just too much extra work. 

As for DCC, I agree there’s little need for sound with electric trains. For me, the benefits are improved slow running of old locos (although remotoring is another approach), constant speed on gradients (not an issue on Gelternau I think), and much simplified wiring with no control panel, although you then have the complexity of fitting decoders to old models. If you’re happier wiring the layout than wiring the locos then DC is the logical choice. 

As the decoder market moves on I see two trends that might affect older n gauge models. On the bright side, decoders are getting ever smaller, which makes it easier to fit them into the model with less surgery although the wiring can still be a faff. But it seems the demand for simple wired decoders might be shrinking as more complex interfaces take over, and you have to wonder how long this segment of the market will be supported. 

I’m looking forward to the next update.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your useful comments.

I'm much happier wiring the layout than fiddling about with complex decoders. You are right, they are getting more complex these days and to be honest, I just want to run trains and enjoy the layout. The layout was designed to watch near on scale length trains running through an industrial scene so I don't really have the need for DCC operation. The shed will work just fine with isolated sections and I'll be able to run trains around the shed area without too many problems as it will have its own controller just for that, the freight sidings and the postal depot area. The main running lines will have a controller each too. The other reason is that my kids like to get involved so if I can hand them a controller each and let them run some trains around the layout they are happy too. Not sure they will want to learn DCC control just yet!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Evening all,

A bit of progress with the next building. I actually put most of this together quite some time ago but have never got around to fitting these parts together. 
It’s based on the ABB building at Baden in Switzerland.

985F7941-2EAD-408A-90B6-9B075A7C9C22.jpeg.78b30ea0d64e6f03e9604f0332a70a0d.jpeg

2E85B287-C585-41F6-8185-1EB7248B4F69.jpeg.769a61b4f9f33983492543e7a81f7781.jpeg

5383319E-0C27-49AF-B68C-A419CF390C3E.jpeg.5ffd5ee7d543a78c2d556b104fd8b823.jpeg

Plenty to do still but it’s nice to now get an idea of how it might look. It will sit at the front of the layout just after where the bridge is located.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

The Taurus's do sound good but I'm still not convinced that in N gauge electric locos sound good.

For me, DCC only works in certain situations. I can't find any reason to use it for European N gauge. I firmly believe 1:160 is too small for sound to be beneficial. All you get usually is a generic roaring sound. And for many layouts there simply isn't the need for more than two traction units to be controlled/moved at the same time 

DCC sound works well for HO/OO and above and works particularly well for low revving diesels such as the Class 33 on the Tidworth layout at Basingstoke show last weekend.

When I visit shows, all I ever seem to witness is things going wrong on DCC layouts, or operators 'shouting' to each other 'ah you need code X2347 for 47245' - and button Z is the horn'.    

Lastly, DCC sound is rubbish in steam outline models as almost exclusively the chuffing sound comes from the tender! At the Boulogne sur Mer show last October I watched the new Chrezo SNCF 140C at close quarters. The sound (and smoke) made it look superb, until you realise that the sound is coming from the tender.  Surely in O scale the speaker can be put in the smokebox?

• Like 3

Really enjoyed your video as usual.

DCC? Whilst I have some DCC Sound locos in HO scale, and enjoy those, I would think twice (as you are doing!) for N scale on your layout.

You have lovely long realistic trains. Not many of us have those in any scale! You will likely run your trains at realistic speeds and I find that the noise of the wheels on rails generally dominates in any scale unless the sound is rather too loud anyway.

When I do run my HO scale DCC Sound trains it is generally at a low speed (necessitated by small layout and keenness to watch trains in slow motion) . 

Standing at shows watching larger layouts I find that the rushing noise of the wheels on rails often muffles out any decent sound effects.

I do agree with the earlier comments about lights and arguably when your trains at running at 160 km/h I am sure your lights will look bright on your recent purchases.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on the layout.

Nice tee shirt!  :-)

Peter

• Like 2

9 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Really enjoyed your video as usual.

DCC? Whilst I have some DCC Sound locos in HO scale, and enjoy those, I would think twice (as you are doing!) for N scale on your layout.

You have lovely long realistic trains. Not many of us have those in any scale! You will likely run your trains at realistic speeds and I find that the noise of the wheels on rails generally dominates in any scale unless the sound is rather too loud anyway.

When I do run my HO scale DCC Sound trains it is generally at a low speed (necessitated by small layout and keenness to watch trains in slow motion) . 

Standing at shows watching larger layouts I find that the rushing noise of the wheels on rails often muffles out any decent sound effects.

I do agree with the earlier comments about lights and arguably when your trains at running at 160 km/h I am sure your lights will look bright on your recent purchases.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on the layout.

Nice tee shirt!  :-)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your comments regarding DCC. I am convinced DC is the way forward for me and it’s nice to have the back up of fellow modellers who also feel I’m doing the right thing.

The long trains do make some noise on the rails and this is the case in the prototype, especially at speed. There is an imaginary off scene station just beyond what will be the scenic break at the depot end of the layout so the passenger trains will be slowing/accelerating away to and from the station. The freight trains will be gliding through however so they will be running slightly quicker. 

Something I’ve noticed with my latest re620’s from Hobbytrain is that the lights are quite bright, even at slow speeds so this helps a bit with that. 

Hobbytrain IC2020 review video queued on YouTube for Saturday morning.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Super review - many thanks. Shame the control cars seem to have gone out of stock everywhere. Based on what you said, wonder if they had a disproportionate number of returns compared to the other vehicles in the rake. Reluctant to commit to any of the rest of the rake without the control car.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimFin said:

Super review - many thanks. Shame the control cars seem to have gone out of stock everywhere. Based on what you said, wonder if they had a disproportionate number of returns compared to the other vehicles in the rake. Reluctant to commit to any of the rest of the rake without the control car.

Thank you. My first control car was really bad, glue between the chassis and body, the white of the front cab side area very dull compared to the rest of the coach and the paint finish was awful. Strange because the rest of the coaches are spot on.

Worth looking out for a set though.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Been doing some wiring today to ensure DC running is smooth along the main running lines. I’m also trying to iron out some track issues which are bugging me. Couple of sections next to the bridge area need relaying too. 
Then it’s on to the other two running lines and then a good coat of primer across the whole lot before painting and weathering. Then it’s on to ballasting which I don’t like doing but I need to make sure I take my time and add the ballast in sections so it’s neat and to the top of the sleepers.

Will update again soon!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Feel like I'm making some good progress on the layout. I've finished laying the main running lines and added the wiring to ensure that I have smooth running on DC. Also moving forward with my scratch built building based on the ABB building at Baden. And a mock up of the Gotthard tunnel portal based on the one at Goschenen. Here is my latest video update!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

Nice video and I agree with David's comments though I always seem to be drawn to the Swiss greenery!

Regarding the tunnel portals have you thought about using foam board? Nice and light and can be shaped and honed to personal preference.  There are some useful comments from me and others in this chain maybe?

BLAUSEE MITHOLZ - exploring a possible new project - Swiss Railways 

I passed the Thun Die Post depot yesterday and there were no wagons visible. On Tuesday I was near the Cadenazzo post depot and an SBB Re 4/4 left pulling just one wagon on the afternoon postal service. Maybe there is not that much post being delivered at this time of year?

Keep up the good work with your project....

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jez, great video as ever. Out of curiosity from something you mentioned on it; what is the tightest radius curves you've ended up with on the ends of the layout? Im guessing you've used flexi track, but from past experience, Minitrix make tighter radius set track curves than Peco, but is it a case of not all modern rtr rolling stock can cope going that tight?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2023 at 12:16, DavidMcKenzie said:

Top stuff Jeremy, the layouts taking shape and I like all of the scratch built buildings 👍. It's really nice to see something other than the mountains modelled in a Swiss layout. 

All the best,

Dave 

Hi Dave,

Many thanks. My first Swiss layout was the typical mountains style layout so I wanted to go for something a bit different this time around. I do like the mountains though and there are some amazing set ups on YouTube showing the track meandering round the mountains and up and down helix’s.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 14:34, swisspeat said:

Nice video and I agree with David's comments though I always seem to be drawn to the Swiss greenery!

Regarding the tunnel portals have you thought about using foam board? Nice and light and can be shaped and honed to personal preference.  There are some useful comments from me and others in this chain maybe?

BLAUSEE MITHOLZ - exploring a possible new project - Swiss Railways 

I passed the Thun Die Post depot yesterday and there were no wagons visible. On Tuesday I was near the Cadenazzo post depot and an SBB Re 4/4 left pulling just one wagon on the afternoon postal service. Maybe there is not that much post being delivered at this time of year?

Keep up the good work with your project....

Peter

Thanks Peter. I might have a go at the tunnel mouths with some embossed stone foam which I have found in the “box of bits”!

Blausee Mitholz sounds interesting! Nice station and possibility for shunting too.

if you pass Thun postal building again “sans wagons” if you are able to snap the loading bay for me please would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Agree 1