Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

On 29/04/2023 at 15:47, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi Jez, great video as ever. Out of curiosity from something you mentioned on it; what is the tightest radius curves you've ended up with on the ends of the layout? Im guessing you've used flexi track, but from past experience, Minitrix make tighter radius set track curves than Peco, but is it a case of not all modern rtr rolling stock can cope going that tight?

Many thanks! I’ll check the radius for you and come back to you on that. The tunnel end is quite tight but my Eurocity coaches runs round fine still despite them being fairly close coupled.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Been spending some time working on the signal box based on the one at Pratteln. I’ve decided to build it in a “closed/decommissioned” state and added shutters to all windows.

Here is the almost finished building. Finished fitting the downpipes this morning made from 0.88mm plastic rod.

Will prime it next.

Couple of current progress shots.

2BDD2623-17A4-4C76-8A47-1B830FC1134F.jpeg.b58279dd9f0914ca212586db13efbcbd.jpeg

CC0DD763-BF8E-49AF-9EB6-6528CCBDAF55.jpeg.6a00cc2a829c6d0e7cca542d3ed0ca81.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Evening!

Well I decided to get the cab of plastic primer out this afternoon and thought I’d give my two ongoing projects a good dusting.

Here is the signal box pictures earlier and the ABB building based on the one at Baden. You can really see the layers of detail now it’s primed!

E3ABD200-73B5-42BB-851F-7F09DCAE0B24.jpeg.56420375b88675d738c9508803473837.jpeg

984CB900-7DDD-4378-BD1D-3A77446BE046.jpeg.bc3362c0d05fc1ddae8bfdd3e3656514.jpeg

51DA0C04-5F1E-4C64-B7F6-232117973BC5.jpeg.0b397dd3f43050f28b8aa86475714b8f.jpeg

8431C201-5BFC-4218-860C-F5E4B7D09360.jpeg.0b7b55fa4bb5fc5e6c829fcad0a2afd4.jpeg

98AE7793-FC20-44FC-9CDD-6F3026198FDD.jpeg.ab482c07005aa66494d82b6562142424.jpeg

Just got the roofs to do now and then some additional detailing before final painting and weathering.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 12

4 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Some brilliant modelling there Jeremy. I'm really enjoying watching this all take shape. It's going to be a layout with incredible character and interest with all of the scratch built buildings. 

All the best,

Dave

Thanks Dave. It’s great to start getting these buildings to a point where I can start painting and weathering. The next one on the list is going to be the tall building next to the postal depot.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hi Jez,

I've joined RMweb at last so can share those Pratteln photos I mentioned on YouTube some time ago. 

Thought you might like this one of the signalbox taken on 09/07/2008 before you paint your model which looks fantastic.

Hope you've got a DB 294 to go with it :-)

Cheers,

Colin (somewelshbloke)

Pratteln Box and 294.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/06/2023 at 19:01, Moselbahn 181 said:

Hi Jez,

I've joined RMweb at last so can share those Pratteln photos I mentioned on YouTube some time ago. 

Thought you might like this one of the signalbox taken on 09/07/2008 before you paint your model which looks fantastic.

Hope you've got a DB 294 to go with it :-)

Cheers,

Colin (somewelshbloke)

Pratteln Box and 294.jpg

Hi Colin,

Thats a brilliant shot thank you. I’ll be using this one for painting and weathering the model which I have started tonight.

Will keep the progress shots coming.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moselbahn 181 said:

Glad it's of help. This shot is a bit more of a frame filler for detail. The tiling on the upper floor is interesting.

Pratteln Box.jpg

Thanks Colin, that ones even better. I’ve decided not to do the tiling to the upper floor, I didn’t fancy trying to score the lines that close together to represent the tiles. From normal viewing distances it’s not too noticeable in N.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Evening all,

Ive started the weathering process. First time for me weathering a building.  The ground floor level has had an initial coat of plastikote suede textured paint sprayed on. Then two thin washes of Matt white to tone it down a little. Then I’ve mixed up some dark grey to represent the staining to the side wall and stippled this on with a flat brush. I’ve wiped away the area where it looks like some graffiti has been cleaned off.

What does everyone think? I think a wash of grey to pull it all together? What does everyone think? All comments welcome!

I’ve yet to finish the upper level. This will be next.

Thanks in advance.

F1E4A6DC-8C72-4316-9341-92CBBE0D3908.jpeg.1f349e3c94aa2b66f2e40d23c26c7ba9.jpeg

985BFE2E-8783-4045-8BC6-E0790EEBC3A3.jpeg.c59db5ed45f0e97f21f1e87b17c6546a.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking really good, the cleaned up graffiti area works well.

Have you considered using a scalescenes paper to replicate the tiles on the upper floor? The aged grey brick or aged clapboard may work?

Cheers, Colin

PS - would you like me to post some more pix from Prattlen on that day? did you say you were thinking of making the Co-op building too?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Moselbahn 181 said:

Looking really good, the cleaned up graffiti area works well.

Have you considered using a scalescenes paper to replicate the tiles on the upper floor? The aged grey brick or aged clapboard may work?

Cheers, Colin

PS - would you like me to post some more pix from Prattlen on that day? did you say you were thinking of making the Co-op building too?

Thanks Colin. I’ve already started the upper level and weathering so it might be a bit late for me to change it now but thank you for the suggestion.

With regards to the Co-Op building, I will be building this too for the layout so if you have any photos, they would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeremy,

Interesting find there with the nbrass gantry. I think that would look very good and I will be looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

There is also a type of gantry in Colin's nice photo of the double headed DB freight train (roughly in line with the back end of the second loco), which doesn't look so complex (as other options would be) to scratch build. 

Then possibly a few of the more expensive ntrain options in positions where you are likely to view/video/Photograph? 

The scratch built buildings look great. I love the singal box. It looks superb. Weathering something like that is always a challenge isn't it. There are many different colours, tones and shades in a weathered building aren't there. The number of different washes which then need pulling together with a last very fine layer of 'dirt' always amazes me. 

Thanks for the videos, very interesting and motivating.

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 14:11, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Jeremy,

Interesting find there with the nbrass gantry. I think that would look very good and I will be looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

There is also a type of gantry in Colin's nice photo of the double headed DB freight train (roughly in line with the back end of the second loco), which doesn't look so complex (as other options would be) to scratch build. 

Then possibly a few of the more expensive ntrain options in positions where you are likely to view/video/Photograph? 

The scratch built buildings look great. I love the singal box. It looks superb. Weathering something like that is always a challenge isn't it. There are many different colours, tones and shades in a weathered building aren't there. The number of different washes which then need pulling together with a last very fine layer of 'dirt' always amazes me. 

Thanks for the videos, very interesting and motivating.

All the best,

Dave 

Hi David,

Thank you for your comments.

I think there could be a variety of different gantries possible for the layout which would certainly add some interest, and definitely in terms of photographing the layout.

I’m going to work on the gantry next week and see how I get on. I’ve been watching a few more cab rides which are excellent for getting some close up front on screen shots of the different styles.

The signal box has come out well. It’s the first time I’ve weathered a building and like you say, it takes time to build up the layers. I think it needs a very thin dirty wash now just to finish off the lower section. 

I’ll do another video soon on the gantry.

Have a good weekend and hope all is well with you and the family.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice video.

Footbridge looks first class.

Whether to add wires or not! A dilemma. Many modellers in CH particularly in N scale do do add wires. Masts are enough for them.

I model in HO mainly and generally have added the wires but on my last project I did not. See attached glimpses of my Einigen project based on the real location in BLS territory. No wires here and I could just about live with that...

Wishing you further success with the layout...

Peter

EIN S 20.jpg

EIN S 21.jpg

EIN S 22.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, swisspeat said:

Nice video.

Footbridge looks first class.

Whether to add wires or not! A dilemma. Many modellers in CH particularly in N scale do do add wires. Masts are enough for them.

I model in HO mainly and generally have added the wires but on my last project I did not. See attached glimpses of my Einigen project based on the real location in BLS territory. No wires here and I could just about live with that...

Wishing you further success with the layout...

Peter

EIN S 20.jpg

EIN S 21.jpg

EIN S 22.jpg

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your comments and photos. Your Einigen project looks very nice indeed. I’m certainly leaning more towards just having the masts and it will certainly save a lot of unnecessary additional work.

Yes, I’m pleased with footbridge too! I’ve added some additional scratch build details to finish it off so hopefully it will look the part once painted/weathered etc.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Simon,

I was happy to see I am not the only one who makes a mess sometimes when modelling. All of the lovely videos and photos of finished models make me feel very messy sometimes.....so great to see your model in the process of construction. 

Nice job on the bridge. It fits in perfectly and adds to the Swiss feel of the layout. 

As for wires or no wires.....of course it is up to you. But I've found EZ line useful if you do go for the wires. It's (very) flexible and my clumsy hands have managed to do more damage to the gantries than the wires so far. It is still very fiddly to fit and adjust stock in the scenic section. Track cleaning has also only been possible with a towed cleaner wagon. So not without issue, but less prone to damage than stiff wires. Having said all that, if you will mainly view the layout from above then doing the layout without wires can look brilliant (like you say Simon's Dallam is a great example). 

Whichever way you choose, I would recommend hanging the wires at the very end if you do go for them, things like lineside detailing and weathering are close to impossible once the wires are up (at least that's been my experience with my fat fingers).....so with that in mind it might be worth finishing the rest of the layout and see how you feel about it once it's completed? 

DSC_00632.JPG.4bbbbae16602a7d7b10c77a5105273b8.JPG

On a totally different subject, do you have code 55 or 80 track? I've tried running swiss stock (latest Fleischman re6/6, re460 etc.) On finetrax code 40 and it doesn't work, the flanges are too deep. The Swiss railway plan is developing in my head and I was wondering what I can get away with and didn't want to go to the expense of buying test track in each gauge if I didn't have to. 

Thanks for your updates, great videos as always. Nice touch starting with the Swiss coffee cup each time. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 3

I cannot look at a photo from above anymore without realising how little the wires show from this perspective. Possibly because I hardly ever see this view on the real railway....yet we see it most of the time with the models. 

Tring Cutting 86247 Dec 92

Not my photo, linked from Flickr. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 2

On 13/08/2023 at 17:30, DavidMcKenzie said:

I cannot look at a photo from above anymore without realising how little the wires show from this perspective. Possibly because I hardly ever see this view on the real railway....yet we see it most of the time with the models. 

Tring Cutting 86247 Dec 92

Not my photo, linked from Flickr. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your comments, especially about the wires. I'm still on the fence on this one but I am gradually leaning towards not having the wires. Having said that, and like you say, its best leaving any wires till last in any case so as not to damage them during the layout construction.

On the subject of track, I have gone for Peco code 55 on the scenic section. Like you, I tried code 40 rail but the flanges fowl the sleepers. My initial plan was to scratchbuild the entire track work using 2mm association track and then narrowing the rails through the crossovers so that I did not have to re-wheel all my stock but the flange issue put this to bed quite quickly.

I think if I extend the layout, I'll use copper clad sleepers and code 55 rail from C&L finescale.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1