ESU mobile control version 1.0

norman

I bought this set a few years ago to use on a garden railway but it never happened. 

So I want to use it now but find the range is less tan 1m against a claimed 100m.  there is obviously something wrong but what? Any help advice will be appreciated.

Norman

Edited by norman

The original Mobile Control didn't have a dedicated battery pack, and batteries weren't supplied, at least according to the 2003 manual. Users had to buy their own AAA batteries, either Alkaline ones or rechargeable NiMH ones.

Have you installed new batteries and made sure that the terminals are clean anf free from corrosion? If you have, then it may be a problem with the handset or the base unit, or possibly radio interference on the chsnnel that it's using. So try changing to use a different channel, the manual says the radio system has 10 channels, but doesn't actually say how you change them and implies channel selection is automatic.

Hello Going (strange name)

Yes I' have the manual and the handset and the base unit.

The radio frequency is fixed at 433 MHz

There are  10 channels but it is automatic selection only.

I appreciate you throwing out suggestions but I was hoping someone with expert knowledge of the device might respond.  

Norman

I have emailed ESU today but not yet received a reply.  The unit is no longer in production so I'm not hopeful of receiving support from ESU.

I will try the ESu forum too.Thanks for the suggestion.

Norman 

2 hours ago, norman said:

Hello Going (strange name)

Yes I' have the manual and the handset and the base unit.

The radio frequency is fixed at 433 MHz

There are  10 channels but it is automatic selection only.

I appreciate you throwing out suggestions but I was hoping someone with expert knowledge of the device might respond.  

Norman

Strange name? Look at my avatar, London Transport '38 Tube Stock. Now you'll realise why I chose it.

The product is now so old and been out of production for so long that I doubt that you'll get many replies. I can't remember when anyone last asked about the original Mobile Control on ESU's forum, it's so long ago. The manual can still be downloaded, that's where I got my information about it.

I have emailed ESU today but not yet received a reply.  The unit is no longer in production so I'm not hopeful of receiving support from ESU.

I will try the ESu forum too.Thanks for the suggestion.

Norman 

Just a quick update.  I have found an expert who tells me it's probably just frequency drift.  Apparently, some of the components used to generate the wireless frequency age and drift off.  He thinks he can fix it so ..........................

I'm surprised no one on here had much of  a clue though.

Norman 

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2020 at 16:16, norman said:

Just a quick update.  I have found an expert who tells me it's probably just frequency drift.  Apparently, some of the components used to generate the wireless frequency age and drift off.  He thinks he can fix it so ..........................

I'm surprised no one on here had much of  a clue though.

It's a poorly regarded 17 year old product, and you were pretty short with those who replied. Why exactly would you expect people here to have "much of a clue"?

Frequency drift sounds like a dubious excuse to me.

42 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Frequency drift sounds like a dubious excuse to me.

If it's 17 year old the crystal has probably.... crystallised.

I consider this to be like people trying to resurrect and use a Zero One or a H & M Clipper - not sure it's worth it.

Each to their own though.

Cheers

Dave

Hi njee20 and Dave

I appreciate all your friendly comments and advice, it's really well received.  Good technical help from experienced guys who want to help me.

The ESU mobile control Mk1 is a good piece of kit that hopefully I will be able to use with my ancient Lenz set in the garden quite soon.

Cheers

Norman