Bolton Derailment circa 1978/1980

adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any records or information regarding a derailment at Bolton around 1978-1980.

From what I know (it could be entirely wrong), was a 40 or 47 on a Glasgow- Manchester derailed as it went around the curves into Bolton station from Preston towards Manchester.

Ive a very vague recollection of the Bolton avoiding lines (from Lostock to Blackburn) being in place but unused, but semaphores present, and the sidings adjacent to the Blackburn lines into Bolton still being used, as well as the huge goods depot, the huge footbridge past the signal box leading to Bolton town centre, as well as Burnden Park, Bolton West boxes etc, I recall seeing a derailed train, the centre through lines being used for a recovery train, my father several times told me he took me to see the train and its recovery, but its a really vague memory.

Does anyone have any info on this event, which doesn't sound serious, but disruptive ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
On 29/02/2020 at 11:36, eastwestdivide said:

Can't find anything at Bolton from 1970-1990 on the accidents listing at

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventlisting.php

Thanks,

Ive looked there before, though I suspect its archive is incomplete, when looking for other events... look for various prangs to class 21/29... but theres surprising few incidents in Scotland listed here to correlate.

Looking through this rekindled memories of that Dinting derailment too ! - I remember my dad saying thats it the line is finished and they wouldn't reopen it.. of course they did.. just for 4 months.

picture here (not mine from Flickr url).

Dinting derailment of 8E46 110381

I dont know if theres a Bolton Evening News archive online, perhaps I can try there.

it could be my knowledge of the event is wrong, I was very young, but pretty certain it was Bolton.. the memory is vivid and my father I know mentioned it several times prior to the Eccles crash a few years later, which was considerably more horrific, and of course Summit Tunnel.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2020 at 11:45, adb968008 said:

Thanks,

Ive looked there before, though I suspect its archive is incomplete, when looking for other events... 

The Railways Archive site is complete for twentieth century Board of Trade/Ministry of Transport accident reports (and getting there steadily with the nineteenth century ones). Bear in mind that at any time there were only three or four Inspecting Officers, so only the most serious events were the subject of published official investigations. If you can get hold of a copy of the Inspectorate's Annual Report for the year you are interested in, you will find brief descriptions of many more events than ever appeared between blue covers. If that doesn't produce what you are looking for, the archives of the local press are probably your last resort, if your county holds them.

Stuart J

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Yes, there was a derailment on the Up Main, just outside Bolton West Jcn SB. It was the Scotch to Victoria and was pulled by a class 47. One of the platelayers took some screws out of the plates (to renew whatever), thinking the Scotch had passed. The Scotch spread the rails with the engine and 2 of its coaches ending up in the ballast! I was working Bullfield West SB at this time and received 6 bells from Bolton West. I had to deal with the crane and toolvan, sending them in to the rear of the Scotch. There was NO T3 possession, as the Scotch had coaches which were not derailed; the line was still in the hands of the operating dept, using absolute block in conjunction with the rule book. I'll find my photos of it.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, inkyadrian said:

Yes, there was a derailment on the Up Main, just outside Bolton West Jcn SB. It was the Scotch to Victoria and was pulled by a class 47. One of the platelayers took some screws out of the plates (to renew whatever), thinking the Scotch had passed. The Scotch spread the rails with the engine and 2 of its coaches ending up in the ballast! I was working Bullfield West SB at this time and received 6 bells from Bolton West. I had to deal with the crane and toolvan, sending them in to the rear of the Scotch. There was NO T3 possession, as the Scotch had coaches which were not derailed; the line was still in the hands of the operating dept, using absolute block in conjunction with the rule book. I'll find my photos of it.

Thanks i’d really appreciate it.

I was quite young when this happened but have never seen anything online about it.

Edited by adb968008

Photos of 1980 derailment, at Bolton West Jcn SB's inner home. All copyright of A D Schofield.

1 Taken from Johnson St footbridge

2     "      from old platform 3

3     "      Bolton West Jcn SB

4     "           "          "       "    "

Taken fron Johnson St footbridge.jpg

Taken from pl3.jpg

2 Taken from Bolton West Jcn SB.jpg

Taken from Bolton West Jcn SB.jpg

Edited by inkyadrian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1