Holbeck (whats going on)

Ray M

Driving past Holbeck the other day and noticed they have reopened all the top windows

of the old diesel maintenance depot.

I know that part of the shed has not being rail connected for a good few years.

Just wondering. 

Holbeck_4.3_20.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Such a shame,  i Wonder if all the platforms & inspection pits are still in place.

I remember walking around their, with the old fella in the late 60s early 70s.

and remember seeing 2 Deltics in that shop, instead of the running shed.

• 3 weeks later...

Holbeck was used as the Leeds depot under Jarvis days for their maintenance guys.

S&T, P Way, Civils, and overhead had staff based there.

I was posted there in 1999 until 2004 as WSF investigation Engineer for the whole of Jarvis's east coast contracts.

The loco shed were used as stores. There was still a rather large lath at the back which looked like it had minimal use. It was too big for my garage so I left it in place.

The depot continues  to be used as the maintenance depot for the Leeds area and due to the cost of the demolition of the shed buildings it was decided to convert them into offices. At least they are not being demolished!

In the left hand building, the pits, with there were any had been filled in but in the righthand one there was a ramp down to the floor level at the depth of the pits, making it interesting when manoeuvring a 4x4 truck with a generator set on a trailer. 

Brian

• Thanks 1