The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

MP3 player options?

spikey

At present, if we wish to listen to our MP3  collection, we use the iPod in a Bose base station/speaker thingy, and until recently that sufficed.  However, the iPod's HD is clearly on the verge of packing up, and I'm wondering what the alternatives might be to just getting it fitted with an SSD.  

What are the choices nowadays for playing MP3 files over speakers rather than earphones?  All we need is something self-contained, mains powered, and with a shuffle play facility. 

• RMweb Premium

These days the market has gone predominantly wireless and you don't need a dedicated audio player. A tablet, smartphone or lap top is all you need, pairing can be BT or wifi. Many audiophiles will deny it but with good files (FLAC, 320k MP3 or even less etc) a tablet is all you need and wireless speakers are very good. Some of them such as Sonos, the Apple Homepod and higher end ones such as Devialet are superb. Such companies have made serious investment in R&D and scientific design, and it shows (or maybe sounds would be more appropriate). My concern is the probable planned obsolescence of such speakers compared to good passive speakers which can last many decades with a little TLC.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I use my Nokia 8 Android smartphone, with a bluetooth adapter for whichever of my amplifiers/speakers, etc, that has a 3.5mm jack connection to connect it up. I use GoneMad music player as my player of choice as it allows sorting by the album artist tag after genre. The phone can hold SDXC microsd cards, current one in it is 128GB and holds all my music, but I've a 400GB one to put in to give me plenty of headroom for future expansion as well as holding podcasts and the like.

• Informative/Useful 1

I store my collection of mp3s (currently 19,221 tracks -  and still adding to it sometimes!) on the hard disk of my HP laptop.  Frequently backed up onto two separate SSD external drives and a set of DVD Rs.  I also managed to save the entire collection onto a 126gb micro SD card which is in my phone.

The collection plays off the laptop beautifully using the excellent free Media Monkey  software https://www.mediamonkey.com/ .  I usually have it wired to a pair of decent speakers using a long lead with 3.5mm jack going into a Denon amp.  I also have a nice portable Bose Bluetooth speaker which is excellent quality when I want the music in other rooms.  Or I sometimes listen through headphones in the evenings!  I choose to have the entire collection on shuffle most days.  It plays seamlessly. 

On the phone I play it using an app called Poweramp. which I found works better than MM on a mobile device.  Even on my cheap smartphone Poweramp copes well with the entire collection. Again, it will shuffle if required.

In addition to all that I have a small Sony Walkman mp3 player in the car which I play through the Aux Input of the stereo.  But that can only hold 1750 tracks!

Edited by cravensdmufan
Included link to Media Monkey
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, spikey said:

At present, if we wish to listen to our MP3  collection, we use the iPod in a Bose base station/speaker thingy, and until recently that sufficed.  However, the iPod's HD is clearly on the verge of packing up, and I'm wondering what the alternatives might be to just getting it fitted with an SSD.  

What are the choices nowadays for playing MP3 files over speakers rather than earphones?  All we need is something self-contained, mains powered, and with a shuffle play facility. 

I assume you have already done it, but if the HD is on the verge of failing you should make back up copies of your mp3s as soon as possible onto a computer and preferably also on an external drive. 

Edited by cravensdmufan

7 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I assume you have already done it, but if the HD is on the verge of failing you should make back up copies of your mp3s as soon as possible onto a computer and preferably also on an external drive. 

I have indeed done that, so no worries there.  Once I've had another coffee and done the sparrowfart supermarket shop, I'll no doubt be back with further questions, but in the meantime - thank you, gentlemen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Cloud is now another very valid option, particularly as it allows you to retrieve your files from anywhere. Backups & hard drive failures are taken care of by somebody else & storage dynamically expands so you will never fill up your hard drive.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

OK gents, much to think about, so once I've done some more research I'll pass the decision-making to the main target user i.e. Mrs Spikey, who will no doubt start by deciding what the budget is, and what sanctions are to be applied to me when I exceed it ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use both my Samsung phone and a Fiio MP3 player.  I was recently shocked at the difference in quality when playing back the same track through each device over a decent speaker, using a wired connection.

So the only thing I can add is that I wouldn't rely on a mobile phone to give you any sort of decent fidelity.

A friend of mine really likes his Sony Walkman A series player.  It is not too expensive, but produces quality output.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find the headphone output of my S10 is indistinguishable from my Fiio X5, however the S10 has a much longer batter life and a much slicker UI. If using them with an external DAC via USB there is no difference. Unless you really want a separate DAP Idon't think there is any point or advantage over just using a phone or tablet.