Nortonians scratchbuilt Halls, that`s two of.

Nortonian

Hi Ian,

Just trying to get my head around your riveting method, how do you know when to stop when you are drilling through the main frames when they are only 28 thou icon_what.gif Or do you just get a feel on the depth after a time so to speak.

Regards, Martyn.

Errrrrrrm, there`s this thing with a screwy thread on the pillar drill. I think its called a depth stop !laugh.gif

Hi Martyn, yes I use the depth stop. Trial run on a bit of scrap first, then your off !, or bored out of your skull by the time you`ve finished, ie, four sides in my case, six when I come to do the Castles. Errg ! blink.gif

I am posting a few days ahead at a time here as I don`t want to be rushed into the next part each time. So at present, I am making the coupling and connecting rods and their extended bosses. Beware, Hall coupling rods come in two varieties and the rear extended boss is shallower than the other two. In real life , a collar has to be fitted before the rods on the rear wheels.

I am away chasing the Q6, 63395 on the NYMR this weekend as its their last weekend of full line running before the bridge replacement at Beck Hole over the winter period, so tomorrow morning will be the last posting here until Monday at the earliest.

A Q6 with 8on, up 1-in-49. OMG !tongue.gif Pure heaven. Listen to that bark, I can hear it now !.

Regards

Ian

Last post for today.

Here is the second set of frames assembled. Along side is the first set with the runningplate support brackets fitted.

post-7282-12568529171297_thumb.jpg

If time permits, then I shall add another post in the morning.

Night, night. Errr, time for a beer I think.

Here is the next stage in the construction of the frames.

post-7282-12569037287084_thumb.jpg

You can now see that I have fitted the large frame stretcher at the front end. The cylinder blocks and smokebox saddle will be attached to this area.

Once the coupling rods are completed, I will fit the hornguides etc before I do any more work to the frames. The front bufferbeams are now complete also.

More to follow after my trip on the Q6. Have a good weekend.

Nortonianicon_wave.gif

Errrrrrrm, there`s this thing with a screwy thread on the pillar drill. I think its called a depth stop !laugh.gif

Hi Ian,

Errrrrrrrrrrrrm, yes I do understand the technicalities of a depth stop. I just thought the tolerances seemed a bit fine ie- easy to actually drill right through especially with my sausage fingers :blink:.

Regards, Martyn.

Hi Horsetan,

Unfortunately, the Q6 must of been sick as it did not show, and I did not have time to go to the shed to find out.

Our outward journey was hauled by 45212, which was fine but not as fast as the pocket rocket. Our return trip was in the capable hands of a driver friend and 30825. The eight coach train was almost empty, so she was very quick off the mark, barked well on full regulator and scared the sheep occasionally with the cylinder draincocks open, just for fun ! A fast run in the dark. I was in the cab at Pickering for ten minutes soaking up a bit of heat.biggrin.gif

We spoke to a lady guard who informed us that the event, Wizard Weekend, was a bit poorly supported and I agree. The weather on Sunday was horrendous with rain coming down and been blown sideways. Not much fun on 30825 in reverse I would not of thought. Numbers on Sunday must of been terrible.

Perhaps today kids are not interested in the non Harry Potter occasions. Whitby on the other hand, was fantastic as it was Goth weekend there. Many, many people of our generation dressed up in black suits, top hats,dresses and bustles. They really looked superb and it was extremely busy.

So, no modelling until today. I`ll post later tonight.

Take care

Ian

Draculaaaarrrgghhhh! laugh.gif

That`s him !, I believe we saw him on a number of occasions, from the down right ridiculous, to the ugliest. And it was a woman !blink.gif

Anyway, moving on.

Sorry for late reply here as non railway matters have got in the way, again !angry.gif

post-7282-12574664114278_thumb.jpg

This is just to show the fixed axle at the rear, which I prefer as it aids stability in my view. I am still on with the coupling and con rods at present, a long job as I thought. I will post some progress on these in the morrow.

Regards

Ian

The next job is to lay the rivet template over the frame sides and drill halfway through the frame material to allow pressing of the frame rivets, remembering to drill left-hand and right-hand sides differently. Once part drilled, its then a case of pushing out all of the rivets, thus.wacko.gif

post-7282-12567736836623_thumb.jpg

Looking at this one again, is it possible to see all of the rivet positions?

Ian,

Any detail photographs of the coupling rods would be really usefull, as you can never have enough info.

Thankyou.smile.gif

Horsetan,

I did not take photographs of the template overlay at the time unfortunately, and it did not cover every rivet as some will be added at a later stage, however, this next photo should shed some light on those already punched. I hope it is of some use.

post-7282-12575120249787_thumb.jpg

Regards

Ian

Well, I have finally got round to adding some more to this thread. Lots to do outside the world of model railways.

Anyway, this first photo shows the basic rods as supplied to me by a friend a long time ago. They are jointed, but not properly,ie, on the crankpin not the knuckle pin. However, that will be disguised by the big end of the connecting rods.

post-7282-12579818597124_thumb.jpg

The connecting rods are fluted by the way.

I decided to deal with the Connecting rods big ends first, so this next photo shows the extra pieces of 0.5mm nickel I used on each face to extend the width of the boss.

post-7282-12579820691438_thumb.jpg

They are tinned and sweated onto one side of the big end first.

post-7282-1257982204723_thumb.jpg

Next they are drilled out with a 1.6mm drill as that is the hole size already, to aid as a locating guide.

post-7282-12579823362649_thumb.jpg

Most of the excess is cut off for clarity, then the other side is sweated in place.

post-7282-12579824140382_thumb.jpg

The second face is then also cut near to profile and drilled through.

post-7282-12579824899946_thumb.jpg

The big ends now cleaned up with just a little fine fettling to do. Drilled out to 2.5mm.

post-7282-12579825623778_thumb.jpg

The next job is to carry out a similar operation to the coupling rods. This will be the next sequence of photographs.

I hope I am not boring you all with this, but it is an essential piece of work. Oil corks etc will be fitted nearer completion.blink.gif

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

As a new member to this site, and an experienced kit builder, I am impressed with your postings on this scratch build so far. I once built a scratch built 'coal tank' in 4mm (about 20 years ago) but I have not attempted anything in 7mm yet.

Can I ask what you use as your starting base? How do you decide the shape of your frames for instance or the location for frame spacers etc.

Kind regards

Sandy

Hi Ian

Long time no speak, just joined the new forum and feeling my way around, If you where at the moors for the Wizard weekend did you not see the good looking Fireman on 60007, if you did I'd be disapointed you did'nt say hello.

J.P. Venus

Hi Ian

Long time no speak, just joined the new forum and feeling my way around, If you where at the moors for the Wizard weekend did you not see the good looking Fireman on 60007, if you did I'd be disapointed you did'nt say hello.

J.P. Venus

Good grief, I thought you had fallen off the edge of the world !.biggrin.gif Sorry JP, engines within tin cans have no appeal to me so I did my best to avoid the thing.

Something more up your street might be my layout challenge, BR (NE). Watch that space !rolleyes.gif

Good to have you on board again.

Kindest

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived