RMweb

Location ID please.

highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Trawling through some old photos of mine and found these. I realise they are, almost certainly, taken between Exeter and Paignton but where exactly. Probably the late 60s. 

I doubt that there will be much of a problem for the experts out there to identify the location?

I originally took them but now seem to be suffering from brain fade so any other info would be most welcome.

Sorry about the quality but they were probably originally taken on a Brownie 127.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Trawling through some old photos of mine and found these. I realise they are, almost certainly, taken between Exeter and Paignton but where exactly. Probably the late 60s. 

I doubt that there will be much of a problem for the experts out there to identify the location?

I originally took them but now seem to be suffering from brain fade so any other info would be most welcome.

Sorry about the quality but they were probably originally taken on a Brownie 127.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Top one, the D10XX,. looks like Exeter St Davids departing in the Up direction.  I think the middle one is Tiverton Junction Down side.  The bottom one is Kingswear

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions. I am happy to agree Kingswear. I think can see the suggestion of that funny road extension to the right. The bridge looks good as well as confirmed in this photo. I had no doubt about this one but again am not sure of the date. Curious because it looks to be a better quality photo and i would have had a better quality camera in later years and yet the class 22 photo seems to have been taken with a worse camera.

I was certain this photo was taken in steam operational days and not just a later steam special but I could be wrong.

willey hall kingswear.jpg

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Now that Mike has  mentioned Exeter St Davids for no.1 I reckon it is,

but at the other end of the station with the down train departing westwards from platform 1.

The wooden building behind is the South Devon carriage shed I think,

as here on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/qhVQZo

cheers   

Yes, quite agree (I blame my age or anything else i can't immediately think of) - my post duly amended thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The chocolate & cream coach in the Kingswear picture and the lack of yellow panels on the D63XXs suggests to me these are earlier than the late 60's.

Possibly 1962 or is that too early?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Top one, the D10XX,. looks like Exeter St Davids departing in the Up direction.  I think the middle one is Tiverton Junction Down side.  The bottom one is Kingswear

I think you are right on 1 & 3. You are probably correct on 2 as well but I don't recall going to Tiverton but that's just me. It was a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am happy to agree Kingswear. I think can see the suggestion of that funny road extension to the right. The bridge looks good as well as confirmed in this photo. I had no doubt about this one but again am not sure of the date. Curious because it looks to be a better quality photo and i would have had a better quality camera in later years and yet the class 22 photo seems to have been taken with a worse camera.

I was certain this photo was taken in steam operational days and not just a later steam special but I could be wrong.

The road extension is known as 'the banjo', there is a bus stop up there.

cheers

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

The road extension is known as 'the banjo', there is a bus stop up there.

cheers

Thanks for the info. I think I walked up there once to look down on to the turntable(?).

I am a bit surprised it's still there as I thought that, by now, they may have built out over more of the old railway land. Unfortunately it's too long since I have visited.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Possibly 1962 or is that too early?

I should think that would be plausible although I don't think there were yet many Westerns in service in the summer of 62 - and did they have yellow panels from new?

I imagine 1963 would be the last year in which you might have seen a steam loco at Kingswear.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

I think you are right on 1 & 3. You are probably correct on 2 as well but I don't recall going to Tiverton but that's just me. It was a long time ago.

Tiverton Junction (as per the reply) not Tiverton. In the best tradition of naming a junction station for the other end of the branch.

7 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Thanks for the info. I think I walked up there once to look down on to the turntable(?).

I am a bit surprised it's still there as I thought that, by now, they may have built out over more of the old railway land. Unfortunately it's too long since I have visited.

IMG_3159.JPG.eefffb1155d927fa7b60b725aa768a66.JPG

Space is very much at a premium in Kingswear as you know.

Here is the view from the bus stop up on the Banjo. Someone has kindly lopped the top of the leylandii. KR 5/11/2018.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
removed photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I should think that would be plausible although I don't think there were yet many Westerns in service in the summer of 62 - and did they have yellow panels from new?

I imagine 1963 would be the last year in which you might have seen a steam loco at Kingswear.

That's an interesting point about the yellow panels. I do remember on holiday in 1962 seeing a brand new "Western" at Newton Abbot and being very impressed. In fact we saw several over the week, some in the different colours they were first given so I assume they did not have yellow panels at that time. The problem is that I cannot be absolutely sure that those photographs were all taken in the same year so that may be misleading although I cannot remember any other West Country holiday at that time. I'm finding that remembering what I did 60 years ago is getting to be a bit of a  problem!

Thank for your help.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Tiverton Junction (as per the reply) not Tiverton. In the best tradition of naming a junction station for the other end of the branch.

Thanks. Ah! Yes, Tiverton Junction, where the Hemyock branch also left from. Unfortunately I still don't remember ever going there but certainly could have done.

2 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Thanks. Ah! Yes, Tiverton Junction, where the Hemyock branch also left from. Unfortunately I still don't remember ever going there but certainly could have done.

I can't quite reconcile that as Tiverton Junction, the spacing of the four tracks looks wrong.

Looking again I reckon it is Totnes, that is the west end of the down platform,

cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

whilst it’s a black and white photo my immediate reaction was that the Western was green with red-backed nameplates so could be D1002-D1004.

I think I have number 2 now.

It is the west end of Totnes looking across to the down platform

In this photo we can see the collection of sheds behind the down bay on the left. Your photo was taken from the right hand side of the over bridge. 

scan0005.jpg.7a0c7acc95a62abd557b1ad86d34e6d3.jpg

A up HST passes Totnes on the up main. 3/7/82.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

I think I have number 2 now.

It is the west end of Totnes looking across to the down platform

In this photo we can see the collection of sheds behind the down bay on the left. Your photo was taken from the right hand side of the over bridge. 

A up HST passes Totnes on the up main. 3/7/82.

cheers

Ah!, Now I agree with that. I do recall that we went to Totnes. Thank you for that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Space is very much at a premium in Kingswear as you know.

Here is the view from the bus stop up on the Banjo. Someone has kindly lopped the top of the leylandii. KR 5/11/2018.

cheers

Thank you for that view. It helps recall!

However I still rather look down on the Hall being turned!

• Like 1

I reckon this has to be 1962. The Western appears to be D1004 Western Crusader in green livery with a mid-grey roof and small yellow warning panels, as built, which was new to traffic 12/5/62 - it didn't take many hours' running for sooty deposits to build up around the exhaust ports. The NBL Type 2s have OHLE flashes which began to appear in 1961, being applied to these locos considerably faster than yellow panels (despite them rarely venturing anywhere near OHLE!) - at least D6333 & D6334 went from plain green straight into blue with full yellow ends in 1967.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's definitely D1004 gents, you can tell the green ones in a b&w photo (aside from the red plates) by the darkness of the corner window pillars, they're the same colour as the rest of the bodywork, and all seven of the green Thousands D1002 - D1004 (Swindon built) and D1035 - D1038 (Crewe built) had half yellow warning panels and red bufferbeams from new. The middle pic is definitely the down end of Totnes ;).

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the information guys. I really couldn't remember that the Westerns carried yellow panels that early. Most helpful and appreciated.

I just checked and 1004 is underlined in my abc combined volume! :rolleyes:

I think the first Western we saw was 1005 Western Venturer. I remember my mate running his fingers over the letters on the nameplate for "good luck".

I posted this picture on the Ghost in the Machine thread as well but the trip in 1962 was made using a "proper" ticket! It was the only Brixham Station had available to use!

brixham ticket.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Electrification flashes were applied at the depots, being basically stickyback labels.  They were applied to coaching stock at carriage sidings and goods stock at yards, while the locos and stock were in service, so appeared everywhere over a very short time, unlike yellow warning panels which were applied while locos were at works or under repair at main depots, so took a little longer.  Southern Region were particularly tardy in applying them and some D65xx were painted in blue livery with full panels before ever receiving small panels in green livery.