Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Program a DS64?

dj_crisp

Hi

Days like today I just want to give up on the hobby.

My setup is a DR5000 & Z21 app. I have a DS64 decoder that I'm trying to hook up to some tortoises. I'm following the instrustions but I have no idea how to program the DS64 to work with tortoises let alone change the CV address using the Z21 app. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Will

Hi Will

The DS64 is, by default, set up to work solenoid point motors so you need to re-program the decoder to operate slow-motion point motors, such as the Tortoise. Instructions from the manual I have say:

To set up your DS64 to operate stall motor type turnouts:
1. Connect the DS64’s ‘TRKA’ and ‘TRKB’ terminals to your track. No turnouts should be connected to the DS64 at this time.
2. On the DS64 press and hold the OPS button down for about 3 seconds until the red OPS LED and green ID LED begin to blink alternately. This indicates that the DS64 is ready to change the option switches. To run the type of turnout you have chosen, you’ll need to follow step 3 to change Option
Switch 1 to closed to operate a slow motion type turnout.
3. Using your DCC throttle, select Switch Address 01 and send a Closed command. This will set your DS64 to operate slow motion type turnouts. Refer to your DCC throttle’s operating guide for specific instructions for selecting switch addresses and sending switch commands.
4. Exit the set up mode by again pressing and holding the OPS button on the DS64 until the red LED stops blinking.

Once you have the DS64 set up for the right type of point motor, make sure your point motors are connected correctly to the DS64. Then you can progress to programming the outputs of the DS64 but beware - you have to program all 4 outputs.  Instructions are:

DS64 Address Programming
Your DS64 has 4 Outputs labeled 1R & 1G, 2R &2G, 3R & 3G, and 4R & 4G, which are shipped from the factory programmed as Switch Addresses 01, 02, 03, and 04 respectively. You can set the Switch Address of each of these four Outputs to any value from 01 - 2048.
1. On the DS64’s control panel, press and hold the ID button down for 3 seconds until the green LED slowly blinks on and off. This indicates that the DS64 is ready to accept address programming for the Outputs.
2. Using your DCC throttle in Switch mode, select the Switch Address you want to program for Output 1 and issue either a Closed OR Thrown command. The LEDs will start to blink faster indicating that your Output 1 is programmed to the Switch Address you selected.
3. Repeat step 2 to program the Switch Address for Output 2. The LEDs will blink faster indicating that Output 2 is programmed to the address you selected.
4. Repeat this process for Output 3 and Output 4. After Output 4 is programmed, the alternating lights will stop and you will see a single green ‘heart beat’ this is visual confirmation that all 4 Outputs have successfully been programmed to the Switch Addresses you selected.
Note: To change a single Switch Address, you must program all four Switch Addresses on a particular DS64. If you make a mistake while programming, you’ll need to complete the programming cycle and then go back and start again. The DS64 does not timeout during programming so, you must program
4 switch addresses each time you enter the ID mode.

Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! 

I'm stuck at 3 and how to change it to operate a tortoise by using the z21 app as I dont have a dcc throttle. 

I then attempted using JMRI but cant seem to program it. 

I haven't even got onto CV programming but that looks rather complicated 

Cheers

Will

OK.  I have never used the app before but just having a quick look through it I'm guessing the following should work for Step 3. 

Have you set up points in the Z21 app "Track Control Settings"?  If so select No.1 and press the CONFIGURATION button. Select the appropriate setting (0 or 1) for each position of the point switch.  Go to the STEERING BOARD and activate point 1.

If you have already tried this without success I'm afraid I can't offer any further advice at the moment but hopefully someone with more expertise in using the Z21 will be along soon to help.

thanks - I've set them up to trial in the "control station" and my z21 (android app) doesn't have a track control settings option. I'm guessing this is on a different version.

I'm beginning to think i need a digitrax throttle to change these. Very disheartend if thats the case as i don't have one. 

Thanks for your help though

Hi, 

You don't. The Z21 app(s) both allow you to control accessory decoders. The problem with things like the DS64 and the NCE Switch 8's that I use with my Z21 and Tortoises is that are written from an 'American' perspective.

On the old Z21 app (picture of a loco) you navigate to settings and then 'track control center'. On the new app (Z21 on a black background), you navigate to 'Control Station', sounds like you are on the new app.

Once you are in 'Control Station' press the plus button to add a point and then press the pencil icon to edit it. From here you can set a decoder address and then press on either of the two 'state' icons to send a command to your DS64. 

As long as the DS64 is expecting to be programmed then this will send whatever address you have chosen to the DS64, if you then need to send a second address for the next output, which I do with the Switch Eight, you can just change the address and press one of the 'state' icons again.

If you then find that the point is working opposite to the way you want, you can use the same interface to change the 'logic' of the 'close' and 'open' icons to fix the problem.

Hope this helps,

John P

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

find that the point is working opposite to the way you want, you can u

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think I've been able to change the address. i say think as the rate of the flashing LED did change in the set up but now there is no response from the motors at all. I guess this is because i still have them to solenoid. Is there are way of changing that to slow action?

4 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Bromsmods detailed how to do that in his earlier post.

John P

Maybe it's me being dim.... but i don't know how to replicate that using the Z21 app and replacing the bits where it says use a throttle

So follow Bromsmod’s instructions for steps 1 & 2. Then for step 3, on the Z21 go to control station again and select the point that you added before, set it to address 1 and then press the ‘closed’ icon. That should do it. If it doesn’t repeat all the steps and use the open icon instead.

Regards,

John P

9 hours ago, jpendle said:

So follow Bromsmod’s instructions for steps 1 & 2. Then for step 3, on the Z21 go to control station again and select the point that you added before, set it to address 1 and then press the ‘closed’ icon. That should do it. If it doesn’t repeat all the steps and use the open icon instead.

Regards,

John P

After many attempts I've somehow got the unit set up for slow motion - thanks for your help on this. I'm not sure how i did this as i repeated the steps many times and almost gave up.

I now have a strange behaviour. The unit is wired up to two tortoises and two colbolts - I've previously linked these to digikejs 4018 & turnout adapters and while they all worked I could never cure a buzzing sound in the point motors when stationary. Which is why I've opted for the DS64.

Outputs have be reassigned IDs 101-104 in order (so 101 was 1 etc.) . 103 &104 were fitted to Tortoises and worked. 101-102 went to Colbolts and didn't. Switching the turnouts around the tortoises tries to move on say 102 and I hear a short pulse in the point motor but then nothing. I thought the slow motion setting was for all outputs?

The Colbolts work on 103-104.... just. The turnouts don't always fully throw. And somehow that behaviour has started to happen on the Tortoises too when i switched them back to 103-104. I'm wondering if I've somehow changed the output voltage or something like that? If i have I've no idea how and can't see that as an option in the manual. Also not having much luck trying to factory reset but will try again later.

The unit has been powered by the track and also seperately using a 12v 3a which hasn't made a difference.

thanks for your patience reading this stuff

WIll

Hi,

So my knowledge ends with the Z21 app, I have never used the DS64.

For what it's worth I use the NCE Switch 8 and there is no buzzing from my Tortoise motors after they have thrown.

Regards,

John P

Hi John

Thats good to know.

Since my last post I reset the DS64 and have two outputs working ok - the other two still dead... well almost like they're trying to fire a solinoid.  I've swapped it out and now fitted a second DS64 and all seems to work ok on this one so it looks like my issues all stem from a not fully functional DS64. Something I need to investigate.

Thanks

Will