wiring Peco Electrofrog Points

JDE

Hi guys, just starting a new layout, and planning to use  Peco Elecrofrog points for the first time, I have an idea where to put the feeds, but am unsure of where to put the IRJ. Would anyone be kind enough to show me where the feeds and Joiners should go. Also would the points isolate the sidings as Insulfrog do. The picture is not my layout but I am using this as my track plan. It will be Analogue Controlled using Gaugemaster controller. thanks a lot

t4_edited-1.jpg

Edited by JDE

Are you going to just use them 'out of the box' or cut the links & feed the frogs from a switch for reliability (This is often termed as 'wiring for DCC', which is a complete misnomer. It has zero to do with DCC & everything to do with reliability).

You could get away with no IRJs but this will leave you with a layout which has strange issues & feeds coming from the wrong place.

I would choose to add IRJs to the inside rails of ALL points at the heel (2 track) end, then add new power feeds after the points.

You will need extra power feeds this way, but you won't have any strange short circuits.

It is also true that too many IRJs will leave dead sections which you can energise by adding dropper wires. This is an easy fix.

Too few IRJs & you will need to create some isolating gaps. Lifting track is a pain & just cutting rails can leave them to touch as they expand when the weather changes.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Any good?

Screenshot (274).png

I would move the IRJ pair that is part of the way down the platform, to the platform end. Other than that, good. Never a good idea to use the baseboard gap for insulation purposes.

• Agree 1