RMweb

Shipley Glen Tramway

Shipley Glen Tramway in 009
The prototype is a 20'' gauge funicular in Saltaire, West Yorkshire, which was built in 1895 to transport tourists to a (now demolished) amusement park located at the top of the glen. It runs for approximately 1/4 mile.
My model depicts the top station in present day and is driven by a simple DC motor with a DPDT switch to reverse polarity. The tramcars are built on Graham Farish N gauge "Shredded Wheat" coach chassis. The bench seats are also N gauge, as I wanted them to look smaller than usual like the prototype, but will be replaced by something a little more 4mm when this is all over!

1080704.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_598.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_599.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_601.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2020 at 23:32, Jack785 said:

Shipley Glen Tramway in 009
The prototype is a 20'' gauge funicular in Saltaire, West Yorkshire, which was built in 1895 to transport tourists to a (now demolished) amusement park located at the top of the glen. It runs for approximately 1/4 mile.
My model depicts the top station in present day and is driven by a simple DC motor with a DPDT switch to reverse polarity. The tramcars are built on Graham Farish N gauge "Shredded Wheat" coach chassis. The bench seats are also N gauge, as I wanted them to look smaller than usual like the prototype, but will be replaced by something a little more 4mm when this is all over!

1080704.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_598.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_599.jpg

IMG_20200407_175520_601.jpg

Not been for a few years, has the old fairground now gone completely? It was there, but derelict, when I went.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Very nice. I particularly like how you've replicated the prototype platform layout.

Cheers! This is my first attempt at modelling a prototype, so I tried to get as much as I can in there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, john new said:

Not been for a few years, has the old fairground now gone completely? It was there, but derelict, when I went.

I believe so. The land has been sold for housing, but I'm unsure whether this has been built yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

A good reproduction of something I'd not come across before! I think all it needs is roofs over the cars, and more people - it feels very sparse with nobody, not even staff, on the platform.

Would you also be able to share a few photos of the mechanical bits? I'm just about to start rebuilding the mechanism on my funicular railway (post coming soon!), so I'm interested to see what you've used for the pulleys.

On 10/04/2020 at 11:09, TechnicArrow said:

A good reproduction of something I'd not come across before! I think all it needs is roofs over the cars, and more people - it feels very sparse with nobody, not even staff, on the platform.

Would you also be able to share a few photos of the mechanical bits? I'm just about to start rebuilding the mechanism on my funicular railway (post coming soon!), so I'm interested to see what you've used for the pulleys.

Thanks for your comments, I will add a few more people I think. Passengers are kept fenced away from the platforms when a tram is not stationary, but I think I'll bend the rules for that one to stop it looking so dormant! Roofs will be added shortly, or possibly two new cars will be built with roofs, which is how the tramway operated until recent years, with one open and one 'roofed' car on each track.

Regarding the mechanism, I made a fairly bad mistake regarding gluing in some nice fragile fencing over the removal plasticard to access the mechanism, but I'll draw you a diagram.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2020 at 11:16, 1722 said:

Lovely work. Out of interest, what size is this built in. The photos give a real sense of space and then the overall shot is surprising in terms of the small area the layout takes. 

Hi, thanks very much, the whole layout is 2ft x 6in. The scenic section takes up 17in of that, purely because this is the length of one piece of foamboard which was used for the backscene.

Great stuff.

I used to go on this all the time when I was young. as I grew up just up the road. I can still hear the whirring noise it makes.

I remember getting on once with a friend and his expensive new mountain bike. The bike was sideways with both wheels sticking out. When we reached the concrete platforms it bent both wheels into L shapes. The guys at the railway ended up hammering them both back into shape.