Dapol Class 66

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

I'm after a couple of Dapol EWS Class 66's and the current numbers available appear to be 181 and 222.

My local model shop has a Dapol 014 in stock. I'm guessing this is an original release. Would this shell fit a 181 chassis?

I would then sell on the 014 chassis and 181 body together.

I plan to do this to do this so as to avoid soldering a chip into the original 014 chassis.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Should do AFAIK

However if you plan to use a low emission chassis, don't, as the underframe detail is different (steps for 5th door, shorter fuel tank)

HTH

jo

• RMweb Gold

Should do AFAIK

However if you plan to use a low emission chassis, don't, as the underframe detail is different (steps for 5th door, shorter fuel tank)

HTH

jo

Evening Jo,

Thanks for that. wink.gif

I was planning on getting another 181 so EWS all the way and so no low emmisions variants.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Yeah sounds good - I just put the low emission warning in because I've seen some going dirt cheap, and they run so much sweeter than the early chassis!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

I've got samples of both types in front of me.Swapping the bodies over is possible,but the methods of connecting the lights to the chassis are different and would require some work to get it working.

It might be easier to wire in a decoder to the older chassis than rewire the lights!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nile,

Thanks for that info. wink.gif

Sounds like it may be best just to get a 181/222. Quite liked the sound of an 014 though.

What puts me of the earlier releases is this poor bogie detailing and running qualities of the first releases.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Nile,

Thanks for that info. wink.gif

Sounds like it may be best just to get a 181/222. Quite liked the sound of an 014 though.

What puts me of the earlier releases is this poor bogie detailing and running qualities of the first releases.

Cheers.

Mark

You're not me are you ? I've just ordered 181 and 222 too...

• RMweb Premium

Cheers.

Mark

Unfortunately,despite what they say on their website, the newer EWS 66s still have the old style bogie sideframes fitted.The new ones are available separately and are a direct replacement.

Unfortunately,despite what they say on their website, the newer EWS 66s still have the old style bogie sideframes fitted.The new ones are available separately and are a direct replacement.

Are they available from Dapol then ? Can someone post pictures of tthe "old" and "new" sideframes, so I can see if I can live with them or not !

• RMweb Premium

Some photos for you.

post-6821-127437657167_thumb.jpg

This shows the different wiring inside the two versions.

post-6821-12743765879_thumb.jpg

This shows the two types of bogie sideframes.The newer one is on top.The main difference is at the inner end,it being shortened on the older one.

Some photos for you.

post-6821-127437657167_thumb.jpg

This shows the different wiring inside the two versions.

post-6821-12743765879_thumb.jpg

This shows the two types of bogie sideframes.The newer one is on top.The main difference is at the inner end,it being shortened on the older one.

Are those two 66s mating in that photo? :O What would come out of that union?

Is it all of the EWS Dapol 66s 181/222 that have the older sideframes? I was just about to order but the newer ones look much better.

Thanks

SSE

• RMweb Premium

Is it all of the EWS Dapol 66s 181/222 that have the older sideframes? I was just about to order but the newer ones look much better.

Thanks

SSE

Correct,the picture shows it as bought.Replacement sideframes are available from Dapol (and Rails of Sheffield).

The pictures on the Hattons website confirm that all EWS 66s have the older sideframes.

Correct,the picture shows it as bought.Replacement sideframes are available from Dapol (and Rails of Sheffield).

The pictures on the Hattons website confirm that all EWS 66s have the older sideframes.

Thanks for the info, how difficult are the replacements to fit?

SSE

• RMweb Gold

They simply clip on.If you can get the old ones off,you should have no trouble getting the new ones on

Thanks for the info Neil,

Here's the link to Rails for the new style bogie side frames:

http://railsofsheffield.com/1-pair-class-66-bogie-frames-revised-design-nbog3-JJJA13260.aspx

I've ordered a 181/222 so will order these replacements when I get the locos.

Cheers.

Mark

They simply clip on.If you can get the old ones off,you should have no trouble getting the new ones on.

Oh I'm sure I'll be able to get the old ones off, but at what cost :)

From the Hatton's website it looks like it's only the low emission GBRf 66 which has the extended side frames. Anyone got any ideas when/if the others will be re-released with the new frames?

SSE

PS Freightliner ones with DCC sockets please!

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure all the low emission models came with the newer bogies.Looks like you'll have to do some hunting to find freightliner ones.

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

My 222 arrived today from Hattons (181 and a load of CDA's are on there way from Kernow) excellent service as ever and the brown paper and string to boot!

Yet again what can I say. As my first N gauge loco (excepting the 150/153) I'm really impressed. Bit of oil and off she goes! Sat for the last hour watching her go through St Keyne Wishing Well with 2 Farish Monster Boxes and a Dapol Cargowaggon! Not sure if Looe could handle this consist but it's part of my plan for my next layout!

Talking of short bogie frames , the're hardly noticable altough I'd like to change mine in the future.

Has anyone got any fots of the conversion to proper length replacements using the new Dapol side frames. Would be interested to see how it's done.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Getting the bogie frames off really is a piece of cake!

At both ends is a wedge clip holding it on to the inner frame, more visible at the inner end. When the bogie is turned to one side, you can see, if you look down, the join between inner and outer pieces. Slip a fine screwdriver in, and off it pops. The replacements just clip on in their place. As well as getting rid of the daylight, they alos improve the look due to being the correct shape!

I'm surprised to see a wired connection in the models of 181/222 for the lights a la 67 and 86 - the low emission models use wipers similar to the original models, and I'd assumed they'd use the same chassis in these, but obviously not. At least the masking tape insulation is a thing of the past!

HTH

jo

• RMweb Gold

Getting the bogie frames off really is a piece of cake!

At both ends is a wedge clip holding it on to the inner frame, more visible at the inner end. When the bogie is turned to one side, you can see, if you look down, the join between inner and outer pieces. Slip a fine screwdriver in, and off it pops. The replacements just clip on in their place. As well as getting rid of the daylight, they alos improve the look due to being the correct shape!

I'm surprised to see a wired connection in the models of 181/222 for the lights a la 67 and 86 - the low emission models use wipers similar to the original models, and I'd assumed they'd use the same chassis in these, but obviously not. At least the masking tape insulation is a thing of the past!

HTH

jo

Evening Jo,

Cheers for the reply. Sounds easy enough. wink.gif

When my 181 arrives I'll order some replacements.

By the way. Does the Dapol DBS 152 come with the newer style bogie frames as well?

Cheers.

Mark

Archived