The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all the garden is keeping me very busy i have completely rebuilt my feeding station 

feeding station

a replacement pond for the back garden planed out 

back pond

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 21:21, sb67 said:

Not my garden but my local park. Can anyone tell me what plants these are, could they be a wild Orchid? 

P1190755_2jpg.thumb.jpg.d5453e2e0105fcc74d07004fac13685e.jpg

Looks like Rosebay Willowherb (good lineside plant for Docklands Sidings btw).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jbqfc said:

Hi all the garden is keeping me very busy i have completely rebuilt my feeding station 

feeding station

That's a serious feeding station John, what birds do you see? 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

That's a serious feeding station John, what birds do you see? 

we get blue great and long tailed tits starlings chaffinch goldfinch greenfinch sparrows robin blackbirds dunnock pied wagtails and in winter we get  grey wagtails 

also carrion crow jackdaw magpie and pigeons to clean up any small spillages as the trays and pots under the feeders catch most of it 

we have two hedgehogs and a couple of wood mice plus a bee hotel that has all it holes filled 

i also have 3 more feeders at the other end of the garden 

i have only seen rats very occasionally

John 

2 hours ago, jbqfc said:

we get blue great and long tailed tits starlings chaffinch goldfinch greenfinch sparrows robin blackbirds dunnock pied wagtails and in winter we get  grey wagtails 

also carrion crow jackdaw magpie and pigeons to clean up any small spillages as the trays and pots under the feeders catch most of it 

we have two hedgehogs and a couple of wood mice plus a bee hotel that has all it holes filled 

i also have 3 more feeders at the other end of the garden 

i have only seen rats very occasionally

John 

That's a good selection, I don't get as many on my feeders and  I put some floor feeders down as well for the Pigeons, there's a Squirrel that likes eating from that too! Love to get Hedgehogs, a neighbour has seen them but I never have. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That's a good selection, I don't get as many on my feeders and  I put some floor feeders down as well for the Pigeons, there's a Squirrel that likes eating from that too! Love to get Hedgehogs, a neighbour has seen them but I never have. 

do you have a hole that the hedgehogs can use to get into your garden needs to be 12 to 15 cm square  it can take a while for them to find it as they are animals of habit

pigeons do not left out the seed from the trays on the feeders is put out for them when i empty them   

John 

20 hours ago, jbqfc said:

do you have a hole that the hedgehogs can use to get into your garden needs to be 12 to 15 cm square  it can take a while for them to find it as they are animals of habit

pigeons do not left out the seed from the trays on the feeders is put out for them when i empty them   

John 

There is ways they could get in, numerous gaps under the fence and gate. My partner used to have a a feeding station for them and until around 3 or 4 years ago they just didn't come one year and haven't been back since. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Would a plastic owl on top of the mesh do any good?

i don't actually mind  that much i have more than i need i will do the netting better next year 

John 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Make sure you all have some water out in this weather, even a saucer full can save lives.

yes i have six bowls and two ponds spread across the front and back garden also put some pebbles in some so that the bees wasps and insects can safely drink in sallow water 

John 

• Like 1

A pond is a must really, I had put off building one for ages, I love sitting by it with a cuppa or an ice lolly watching the wildlife in the back garden, I also have a bit of a bog garden too, I might make a pebble pool to finish off the job.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Ours is actually a steel firepit, nicely wok shaped…half filled with water washed pebbles & submerged into the ground, increasingly shaded from the wind & sun by the shrubs/perennials growing around it. I’ve added a part clay/part mud beach on top of part of the pebbles to allow bees/birds etc to collect workable building materials, also we’re adding the occasional pond plant.

There are plenty of diving beetles already in residence…

BeRTIe

CAFD5DE5-B1DA-41D5-8703-AA7A629A61F3.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

the front pond is looking good hard to believe this area was only planted at the end of may 

front pond

the back pond is now completed 

back pond

back pond

back pond

the front edge will be finished off when i get some wood to cover it with 

the next area for a make over is the old pond area will move the primulas in the middle of the bed to fill the back side then have a think to what i will be planting there 

back garden

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given that we’re planting to attract butterflies & moths we shouldn’t be surprised to see holes being nibbled in leaves and blooms. We have also noticed these additions appearing on some stems and are yet to identify whether butterflies, moths or spiders have deposited them. The wood wasp below is a recent arrival and is spending time around the lodge…

BeRTIe

40071BE6-7AC1-40FE-8051-E48027D25257.jpeg

14AB5D6A-2DD2-4546-8128-A45409D6C7E9.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 5