The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

18 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

Daylight flying moths around our red campion, melancholy thistle and white escallonia today...

BeRTIe

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4974.jpeg

Silver Y moths I think, get them some years in our garden on the buddleia, when it's not raining lol

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

the garden is doing really well bees hoverfly's butterfly's and insects  galore now 

Front side bed 

front garden area 1

front garden area 1

front main bed 

front garden area 2

front garden area 3

main back bed 

back garden area 3

I have some holiday coming up so will have to get the big lens out and phot some of the wildlife 

John  

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

We’ve got a patch of barren hillside by the house, where we had some of the encroaching trees trimmed - what they call Vista Pruning. Earlier this spring I emptied a bag of native, wild flower seeds over the area.  I thought I’d just be feeding the birds, but now the plants are starting to bloom.  Not many so far, but hopefully they’ll self seed so that each year they’ll expand - if the deer don’t get them first!  

IMG_7538-(W).jpeg

IMG_7539-(W).jpeg

IMG_7540-(W).jpeg

IMG_7546-(W).jpeg

IMG_7545-(W).jpeg

IMG_7544-(W).jpeg

IMG_7543-(W).jpeg

IMG_7542-(W).jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put a small pond in my garden earlier in the year and last week saw my first ever Dragonfly in my garden. Not sure if the pond brought it in or the amount of insects flying around my Ragwort! Screenshot_20230810-124432_Gallery.jpg.602b279777ef1a7a4246b8c5de40e6f3.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a good year the garden has been buzzing and going by all the seed heads doing a good job I think the highlight of the the year was the amount of holly blue butterflies been loads this year 

had 4 birds nest a robin in the pittosporum in the front garden a pigeon and blackbird in the bay tree in the back garden and blue tits in the nest box 

I am changing the pond bed around a bit the yellow loosestrife has been dug up as it was getting very invasive the purple knap weed has been moved from the right side of the pond to the back of the pond the large white scabious has been move from the left hand side of the pond to the back of the pond two devils bit scabious have been planted on the right hand side of the pond the pond has also been netted to keep the fallen leaves out 

front garden area 4

some late colour with the aster 

aster

hemp agrimony seed head 

hemp agrimony

John 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jbqfc said:

It has been a good year the garden has been buzzing and going by all the seed heads doing a good job I think the highlight of the the year was the amount of holly blue butterflies been loads this year 

had 4 birds nest a robin in the pittosporum in the front garden a pigeon and blackbird in the bay tree in the back garden and blue tits in the nest box 

I am changing the pond bed around a bit the yellow loosestrife has been dug up as it was getting very invasive the purple knap weed has been moved from the right side of the pond to the back of the pond the large white scabious has been move from the left hand side of the pond to the back of the pond two devils bit scabious have been planted on the right hand side of the pond the pond has also been netted to keep the fallen leaves out 

front garden area 4

some late colour with the aster 

aster

hemp agrimony seed head 

hemp agrimony

John 

Nice photo's 👍 Been a good year in my garden too, loads of Red Admirals, White and Gatekeeper Butterflies plus my first Dragonfly and Hummingbird Hawk Moth, must be doing something right 🙂

Still got plenty of flowers on some Asters, Nasturtiums and Helianthus.

Been digging out a new pond this morning, still a bit to do, I'll make it a bit bigger with a shallow end for a "beach" .

387648924_1262272141185755_8950926306199878677_n.jpg.9f8a9706117a3ba9b947794efaf98d53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas everyone

Who says you cannot have colour in mid winter our mahonia is looking spectacular

mahonia.jpg

you can tell i am not used to using my mobile for photos 

Edited by jbqfc
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The garden is still to wet to do much but some pruning done and a bit of tidying up 

The hedgehog is back feeding well a small flock of Sparrows have made there home in the pittosporum 

I have also got myself a small Greenhouse 

John 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

still two wet to get any thing done been potting up a few bits and sown some seeds 

new for this year is some honey wort 

the Minnie greenhouse is helping a lot giving me more space so can get some of my veg and annuals done sooner  

the new greenhouse 

back garden area 5

the hanging pots have Sedums in them 

John

Edited by jbqfc
  • Like 1

Can anyone tell me if these are 2 shoots of Yellow Rattle? I've sown a load of seeds last year and was hoping they might have taken? 

41fb90fa-1612-4bea-9a07-0b6567343768.jpg.15fa45095f6a4f1b270be3caaa14718c.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Can anyone tell me if these are 2 shoots of Yellow Rattle? I've sown a load of seeds last year and was hoping they might have taken? 

41fb90fa-1612-4bea-9a07-0b6567343768.jpg.15fa45095f6a4f1b270be3caaa14718c.jpg

I don't think so but this page may help you Yellow rattle

John 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Let them grow and see what you might have. I have done that and been (usually) pleased by the result.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word
  • Agree 1