The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

i now have two hedgehogs visiting the garden most nights and one is using the nest box every other night 

i have built a better bird bath next to the back garden pond and planted loads of drumstick primulas and aquilegia in the back garden 

back pond with new bird bath 

pond

shade bed which is starting to fill with plants not that they show much in the photo as they are sill small 

shade

i have sown lot of seeds just now waiting to see what comes up and remove about a million teasel and campion seedlings 

John  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We have baby Smooth Newts in our pond, second proper season and I'm having that as a result, missed most of the tadpole stage, just didn't see them like you do Frogs, but there seems to be quite a few, will try and get some pictures.

• Like 4

I've got a baby Blue-tongue living under a tarp in my front yard. Looks like he's lost a fight with the cat owned by the witch next door going by his lack of tail.

They grow to about 60cm if I dont step on him first since he always seems to be sunning himself where I'm walking.

Keeps the snails down so its good to have.

PXL_20220403_054000395.jpg.97b930479146b6b0e557bde01123d0d5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

We’ve had to start from scratch in terms of excavating around 25 tons of heavy clay, inserting land drains at 18-24 inches depth and adding around 15 tons of topsoil. Around 50 Portuguese laurel/3 escallonia species have been planted in an evergreen arc right around the rear of our property to form a windbreak as they grow and overlap. Various groundcover plants are being added to attract insect species. A metal firepit is now doubling as a small pebble pond for us, some soil added so that insects looking for mud or moisture can find some. The liner will control any weeds whilst the blue slate is being added as a decorative finish.

BeRTIe

634B6832-5F74-42AB-B44A-6D21CB209893.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 2

The merits of even a small pond such as in our recycled firepit were demonstrated yesterday when one of the always intelligent crows landed next to it with a potential food item in its beak. It proceeded to submerge whatever it was under the water surface for several seconds at a time until it softened/became digestible, before swallowing the morsel. Great to observe wildlife at close quarters.

The pond is in front of the water butt in this image…

BeRTIe

7C902D13-76A1-4546-BFD4-A790DB21A428.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Tried to add a video, but it's not working

Is it on YouTube? I don't believe you can embed your videos on rmweb unless they are supported on a platform elsewhere.

Here's a nice article on the US "Victory Gardens" of c.1943-1945.

And the physical, emotional and spiritual benefits of being a gardener.

https://rwmalonemd.substack.com/p/the-victory-garden?s=r

As it's such a nice article, I'm even willing to overlook them not mentioning our own Dig For Victory (1940-1950)

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whatever it is, it is a nice looking flower. I would not cut anything until all of the flowers deadhead and drop their seeds; next year's beauty. I let most of my back lawn do that, there are these yellow flowers:

190164162_202214mayYardflowers-009.thumb.JPG.f92fcaa8985e3de09e8b76070b9cb25b.JPG

and only a few daisys this year (last year there were way more):

1556461933_202214mayYardflowers-010.thumb.JPG.8b887698ffd63669d1cbee9e6e91d0c8.JPG

And two small clumps of these in the same spots each year:

76422324_2021May11flowers-001.thumb.JPG.13d368d09c9a951d55dfff0353b09d4c.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

the Bee hotel has done very well this nearly all holes filled 

bee hotel

the front garden pond now has the edging tiles fitted in place wood edging put in still some soil back filling to do  plants to be seen are the marsh marigold in the  pond also in the boarder by the path is kidney vetch  and hardy geraniums and some variegated Ajuga by the pond and toadflax at the other end of the pond  not sure what i will planting in the rest of the pond boarder

yet 

front pond

• Like 2