Catch points

Exonian

Hello

I am new to railway modelling. The subject for my first layout is the Gooods Depot in the attached map. 

Do I need catch points?

I can see possible places:

1) where the line from the depot meet the branch comin from the south;

2) where the branch lines meets the main line  (on the embankment by the goods depot);

3) where the line from the basin meets the main line.

Many thanks 

1935 OS map.png

The general rule is  you need trap points if without them a train or individual wagons could get out from a siding or yard onto a passenger line.  Sometimes there is a set of points already there that will do the job, for example if there is a headshunt on the yard.  So your answer depends on the exact track layout and also on whether the branch is classed as a passenger line.  

Incidentally when used in this role they are referred to as trap points.  Catch points are when they are used on inclines to derail a train that might be rolling back.  

• Agree 1

Catch points are used to derail vehicles which are out of control on steep slopes (known as runaways). Trap points are used to protect main railway lines from unauthorised vehicles moving onto them from sidings or branch lines. They are only required where the main railway lines carry passengers.

1 - Assuming the branch from the south is a passenger line, yes, the depot would have a trap point.

2 - If the branch line is a passenger line, then my understanding is that there wouldn't be a trap point where the branch meets the mainline

3 - Assuming the mainline is a passenger line, yes, the connection from the basin would have a trap point.

Similarly, if the branch from the south is a passenger line, then there would need to be a trap point where the line from the basis meets the branch.  As has been stated above, in some cases it is a normal point (eg a heads-hunt) that performs the trap function and it can be a full turnout with a buffer stop or sand drag and not necessarily just the switch part.

Edited by Dungrange

Dear all

Many thanks for all the comments. Very useful. 

Amazingly, today, I found the attached track plan on a website. My next task is find out the meaning of all the symbols on the plan.

Do you think 24A and 25A are catch or trap points?

track plan.png

There is no trap on the exit from Regent Oil Sidings, which indicates that the Basin Branch and also the Low Level are goods lines.  The three places where these routes join the main line all have trap points, and I don't believe there are any catch points on that diagram.