Bachmann Jinty - crew fitting.

geoffers

Thank you guys. Yes lots of screws to undo! Body off, cab off, crew fitted - ah!.....body will not fit back on.....something is snagging it....oh bu**er the dome flicked off into the layout room black hole. So advice greatly appreciated but, sadly, loco now u/s as domeless and ill-fitting body. As my eyes slowly worsen with age I am increasingly reluctant to fiddle with things as this is not the first instance. I guess there are many on here who are in the same situation. Brighter news, though, I have another Jinty to use which works well BUT it will be the "runaway loco that went over the hill" as it will remain crewless. Thanks again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

So "black holes" do eject material subsumed into them. After much searching, clearing away, shelf emptying etc.  I found the lost Jinty dome right in front of me........!!!!!!!!!!!!  Encouraged by this success I tried to refit the body of the Jinty together with nuch muttering and ....suddenly it clicked into place.  Now have a Jinty with a crew. Oh....it did not work.....motor lead got detached....so this resoldered and, voila, OK now. Now will I attempt the other one.......???????

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, geoffers said:

So "black holes" do eject material subsumed into them. After much searching, clearing away, shelf emptying etc.  I found the lost Jinty dome right in front of me........!!!!!!!!!!!!  Encouraged by this success I tried to refit the body of the Jinty together with nuch muttering and ....suddenly it clicked into place.  Now have a Jinty with a crew. Oh....it did not work.....motor lead got detached....so this resoldered and, voila, OK now. Now will I attempt the other one.......???????

Searched high and low for weeks for the cab door of an Ivatt 2mt. Finally located on the  cab floor of aforementioned Ivatt. :)

Iva

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On 25/04/2020 at 08:53, Tim Hall said:

Alternatively, put a dab of glue of your choice on their feet and lower them through the aperture using tweezers. It's a bit hit and miss, but good results usually come with persistence.

I’ve crewed a couple of Jinties that way. My Standard 4MT tanks might prove slightly more challenging.....

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Colin said:

I’ve crewed a couple of Jinties that way. My Standard 4MT tanks might prove slightly more challenging.....

Doable though, but I can't remember how! The 3MT is easy as the cab roof ventilator works.

IMG_E2163.JPG

I use the opportunity to try and 'detail' the cab a little - dab of silver here, red there, 'bronze'/brass there ... if the hand's steady enough, so dismantling is the better way.

Hate the possibility of a little dribble of glue when feeding through the roof, but I suppose with some there are few options.

At least it avoids losing patience / screws!!

Al.

Next job is to renumber this Jinty. As a S&D modeller I have opted for 47542, a Templecombe allocated loco. Have some Modelmaster waterslide transfers which include 47542 (sheet 4009). However it would be nice to have a spare sheet in case of "misapplication" but note that this sheet is no longer mentioned on Modelmaster's online site. The alternative is Fox transfers but there does not seem to be any specific Jinty numbers - just a list of numbers starting 47. So a bit of fiddling will be required. Hopefully the Modelmaster tranfers will go on first time. This sort of work never used to bother me but these days it does as eyesight deteriorates. Or maybe one will have to assume Jinty number 47673 was, in fact, allocated to Somerset.