RMweb

Wiring & Connection help

GBTDAMAN

At the end of my DCC OO Gauge layout with Peco code 75 track, I have a Run Round loop which I am having trouble knowing how to power the track and what joiners are required from the two sets of Peco electrofrog points. Diagrams is enclosed.  I have added track power to each of the points, but do not know whether insulated or metal connectors are needed on the point frogs of if additional track power is required on the track sections between the points. Any help appreciated. Kevin.

map1.jpg

Hi,

The simplest solution is to use insulating joiners on all 4 rail joints on each point and provide separate track power feeds to both tracks between the points.

You could also use metal joiners on the outside rails of the points and insulated joiners on the 2 inner (frog) rails on each point. You would then still need to provide power to the two inner rails of the loop.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

Here is John P's answer in images

894138057_dccloop.png.818f00109421062a6ef26b6194eed6c2.png

6 hours ago, jpendle said:

The simplest solution is to use insulating joiners on all 4 rail joints

It will work just as well if the insulated joiners (shown in green ) are metal

The RH drawing shows the absolute minimum power feeds & insulated joiners to for the layout to work on DCC

The more power feeds you have the less you have to rely on fishplates for conductivity 

Some say you should put a power feed to every piece of rail for maximum reliability 

I tend to rely on fishplates. The layout is 30+ years old & has hundreds (possible 1000+) metal fishplates & so far only a few have caused me grief. 

John

• Like 2