1991 Intercity XC services between Birmingham and the North on the WCML

Foden

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well there you go, @Clearwater. The camera does not lie. You could evidently have travelled north from Oxford behind a Class 50 in early-mid June 1995.

Er, no you couldn’t. All the 50s had been withdrawn by the summer of 1992 apart from the last three retained for railtours (50007, 50033 and 50050) which were withdrawn in March 1994. Thereafter, the next 50 to work on the mainline was 50031 in November 1997. So it simply wasn’t possible to travel north from Oxford behind any class 50 in 1995, or anywhere else on the network either. 

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Er, no you couldn’t. All the 50s had been withdrawn by the summer of 1992 apart from the last three retained for railtours (50007, 50033 and 50050) which were withdrawn in March 1994. Thereafter, the next 50 to work on the mainline was 50031 in November 1997. So it simply wasn’t possible to travel north from Oxford behind any class 50 in 1995, or anywhere else on the network either. 

That was already demonstrated by  @rob D2's observation that 50 008 was already in preservation at the time of that Sept 1995 photo; hence my comment about the really bad toothache - @Clearwater was evidently in no fit state to distinguish between a 50 and a 47, or hallucinating. Sorry if my previous reply was too cryptic to make it clear that I had already conceded the point!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think age is catching up with us.

The last few posts reminds me of conversations my dad used to have 30 years ago, when forums were in person “meetings”, In smoked filled rooms on late school evenings, and the discussions were about Duchesses and other various movements of other class 8’s.

I assume there’s no guessing where this image was though..

716627B2-B685-465F-9A0F-E0DBDD4AE597.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That was already demonstrated by  @rob D2's observation that 50 008 was already in preservation at the time of that Sept 1995 photo; hence my comment about the really bad toothache - @Clearwater was evidently in no fit state to distinguish between a 50 and a 47, or hallucinating. Sorry if my previous reply was too cryptic to make it clear that I had already conceded the point!

Indeed and as I pointed out earlier, it’s quite probable that 25 or so years later, I’m conflating several journeys taken around the same time of year between the same destinations. Memory,as ADB comments, is a fickle friend!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1