Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Middleton Top and the C&HPR

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations and a belated Penblwydd Hapus i ti, Jay. 

I hope it was suitably rock and roll ! 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Seems like IronMink has created the files for a Gannet hopper.

Any interested in printing some of these?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6114058

C58223B8-960B-4164-890B-577FE3F37DE7.jpeg

...... as previously mentioned in this thread - and I can supply those transfers ; see the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

The BR 1/581 version of the design will be published shortly - my transfer sheet covers both versions.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

...... as previously mentioned in this thread - and I can supply those transfers ; see the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

The BR 1/581 version of the design will be published shortly - my transfer sheet covers both versions.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Brilliant - thanks all round on this one John. 
Once I’ve found someone who’s up for printing this I’ll be ordering transfers. 

cheers

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mornin’ 

Middleton Top is getting moved to my workshop this week so it can be set up in its entirety and then the final push made to get it ready for its first outing in 2024. 

It seems like the local farmer got wind of this information and has abandoned his tractor. 

Jay

81521EDB-B0CA-4064-947D-A70616A947D6.png

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Finally got round to making the signal for Middleton Top a working version rather than static tonight. Still need to touch some red paint onto the arm and dab some paint onto that operating rod but otherwise I’m happy with this comparing it to the photo Geraint posted on the previous page. 

Jay

898F4025-FA3F-4446-9B0D-244C95A254E4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Very nice. I was out and about around Biggin, Alstonfield and Alsop myself yesterday. The final leg of our walk was along the Tissington Trail north of Alsop to Biggin in the rain.

I keep meaning to revisit the Tissington Trail - it’s not far down the road from my gaff. 
You managed to get any further with Shallcross Nik?

Jay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last week I was in Spain and today lying on a beach at The Gower. I gave you a wave when I passed  Cardiff @NHY 581  

Back to normality next week. The plan is to finish up Middleton Top and have it exhibition ready by Xmas then spend a couple of months finishing up the stock. Everything is sat in the workshop ready to go and I’m chomping at the bit to get going now!

BB2D79E1-4A58-4518-8DE9-0652DE9483A6.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got round to dabbing some paint on the home signal to finish it off. Here’s a comparison to the real one. 
I’m attempting to let go of the slight discrepancies for now and will plonk it on the layout this week. 
Tempted to dig that NLR Tank chassis out and look at what needs to be done to finish off…

Jay

01005770-6937-46B7-9D18-427958DC6462.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Gannet time!

@noiseboy72 printed a couple of Gannets from the file previously talked about on here.

I sent the files to @Middlepeak for perusal also and he spotted a couple of errors such as the print isn’t an open frame design like the prototype. I’ve gone ahead regardless, curious to see if a passable model can be made. 
So with a fresh scalpel and steady hand I’ve removed the struts from one of these tonight. Shown in the photo below, there’s still a fair amount of cleaning up to do. Also the sides have bowed inwards. I’ve encountered this on other 3D prints and some gentle bending in warm water usually does the trick. Wheels and brake levers have been printed separately and will be added once the clean up is done. 
Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for suitable buffers for these?

I’ll be heading over to @cctransuk site for transfers and I’ve already sourced disc wheels from 51L. Should be a fun little project!

Jay

01900A49-A251-4D14-A5B7-187D311EA20E.jpeg.278b5f43abbb3dc5d8db2e36f592ca44.jpeg

30094547-0BDB-4287-BF10-9D4D30A2A1E3.jpeg.c632cc97c478420078d197aa04fa8ee6.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Gannet time!

@noiseboy72 printed a couple of Gannets from the file previously talked about on here.

I sent the files to @Middlepeak for perusal also and he spotted a couple of errors such as the print isn’t an open frame design like the prototype. I’ve gone ahead regardless, curious to see if a passable model can be made. 
So with a fresh scalpel and steady hand I’ve removed the struts from one of these tonight. Shown in the photo below, there’s still a fair amount of cleaning up to do. Also the sides have bowed inwards. I’ve encountered this on other 3D prints and some gentle bending in warm water usually does the trick. Wheels and brake levers have been printed separately and will be added once the clean up is done. 
Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for suitable buffers for these?

I’ll be heading over to @cctransuk site for transfers and I’ve already sourced disc wheels from 51L. Should be a fun little project!

Jay

01900A49-A251-4D14-A5B7-187D311EA20E.jpeg.278b5f43abbb3dc5d8db2e36f592ca44.jpeg

30094547-0BDB-4287-BF10-9D4D30A2A1E3.jpeg.c632cc97c478420078d197aa04fa8ee6.jpeg

Watching this with interest. Initial impression is that it looks good though a shame about the open frame and the operating wheels are crying out to be replaced with etched items!

How noticeable was the open frame on the real thing given the overhang of the hopper? It looks like it’s mainly in shadow, so perhaps the lack of daylight/framework might not be as obvious?