Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Neat job there. I am feeling like I really ought to dig out some of mine and get building. But it's a distraction from actually getting a layout built to run them on!:D

Thanks again Rob.
Turning round a kit in a couple of hours is keeping me sane and helping detach the brain from work at the moment. The curse of self employment. 
I’ve got a small toolkit in an old cutlery box on the missus dining table so I can launch into building one at a moments notice. 

1AEC8946-ADE9-49A1-9126-FF8EA6980C01.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's a good deal more organized than I am! 

Self employment has its good and bad sides. I wish I could get a pound every time someone says that I can have a day off whenever I want! 

I'm working on a painting at the moment and Miss R is still studying. 

We'll be up again before six for her to get the train. :yahoo:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a good deal more organized than I am! 

Self employment has its good and bad sides. I wish I could get a pound every time someone says that I can have a day off whenever I want! 

I'm working on a painting at the moment and Miss R is still studying. 

We'll be up again before six for her to get the train. :yahoo:

Ay it’s a double edged sword. I haven’t had an employer for over 20 years which is bloody great, but the other side is having employees and a building brings a whole new level of stress and responsibilities that have really been a test over the last 18 months.

I’ve only been given the ‘day off whenever you want’ line once and I could’ve slapped them; at the time I was working 80 hour weeks and hadn’t been on holiday for years. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Layered some more undergrowth today, along with adding the boundary stone wall across the front of the layout. The structures aren’t permanently fixed yet…but this gives an idea of how board 2 is looking. 

Jay

08AFDBD1-5AF1-4D2B-86F1-39254A8C68A4.jpeg

7B86DC0E-286C-4730-A820-B8DB3E7B2959.jpeg

1754B0D3-65EA-4357-A9C7-B5589C9C4E48.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That's really getting the feel of the real thing now Jay, lovely job.

Al.

Thanks Al - won’t be long till I tackle the last board…which has some significant challenges!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Great job there, it looks like it's either just stopped raining, or just about to start raining. 

The lime plastered walls of my house seem to make a good stormy backdrop. At some point I need to figure out how to make something more moveable!

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 10:29, JustinDean said:

Ay it’s a double edged sword. I haven’t had an employer for over 20 years which is bloody great, but the other side is having employees and a building brings a whole new level of stress and responsibilities that have really been a test over the last 18 months.

I’ve only been given the ‘day off whenever you want’ line once and I could’ve slapped them; at the time I was working 80 hour weeks and hadn’t been on holiday for years. 

Luckily I don't have employees to worry about. A lot of casual acquaintances think that my job consists of roaring about on vintage motorcycles and wandering around art galleries.

I might just do that when I win the lottery!

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Luckily I don't have employees to worry about. A lot of casual acquaintances think that my job consists of roaring about on vintage motorcycles and wandering around art galleries.

I might just do that when I win the lottery!

Now that would be a sweet job if it exists! That’s also made me curious as to what you do if you don’t mind me asking?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

From the dining table this evening -

D 1/142 13T steel hopper - Parkside/PECO kit

The C&HPR in its later years utilised a few types of small hopper wagon for limestone traffic. A few pages back RM Web members identified a few types from photos and it was flagged up Parkside were to release one of them in kit form. Well that kit came out this year so I bought 3 of them and this is the first I’ve put together. It was tricky to be honest. There’s a lot of very small parts to lose. Also those handrails. I’m going to have nightmares about them tonight. Locating holes just aren’t quite big enough and even the gentlest attempt to open them up splits the plastic open. There’s been a lot of swearing. It’s been a learning process so the next one will be better. 
Time for a stiff drink. 

Jay

2C057ADF-DE3E-4944-85DD-D0E54BACA7F6.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've found a number of ways to deal with the plastic trying to split over the years. 

If there's a pre drilled hole, put a small amount of MEK into it a few seconds before pressing in the wire, it softens the plastic just enough.

Or apply MEK and drill out with an old drill.

Heat up an offcut of your wire with a cigarette lighter.

If there's no holes, drill a very small pilot hole first.

I remember the profanity involved building a Parkside Midland Railway brake van and trying to drill handrail holes in the corner posts. :mad_mini:

You have my sympathies on this one. Wagon looks good though!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've found a number of ways to deal with the plastic trying to split over the years. 

If there's a pre drilled hole, put a small amount of MEK into it a few seconds before pressing in the wire, it softens the plastic just enough.

Or apply MEK and drill out with an old drill.

Heat up an offcut of your wire with a cigarette lighter.

If there's no holes, drill a very small pilot hole first.

I remember the profanity involved building a Parkside Midland Railway brake van and trying to drill handrail holes in the corner posts. :mad_mini:

You have my sympathies on this one. Wagon looks good though!

That’s very useful - thanks!

I’ve been using Loctite gel to put these kits together and that doesn’t seem to have the same softening properties that you’ve described with Mek so I’m going to give that a go. Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today’s build - LMS 12T van from the Ratio kit. Had a few issues getting the roof to sit snugly on this one. Apart from that it’s a really easy build. Good job because I have four more to make, although I may attempt some of the variants just to spice things up a bit. 

Jay

DB821901-DD7B-41C9-9328-E1ACFC0572A1.jpeg

• Like 8