Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Hornby’s 08 is quite a nice model and bought S/H for a good price off evil bay. 
I have zero excuse for this though. I only wanted a Platelayers trolley. Coopercraft made a kit but they seem to be discontinued…somehow that led to me buying this. 
Must. Stay. Off. The.  Internet. 

B5E1302E-234A-4039-B394-AC031E843DC5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, JustinDean said:

Hornby’s 08 is quite a nice model and bought S/H for a good price off evil bay. 
I have zero excuse for this though. I only wanted a Platelayers trolley. Coopercraft made a kit but they seem to be discontinued…somehow that led to me buying this. 
Must. Stay. Off. The.  Internet. 

B5E1302E-234A-4039-B394-AC031E843DC5.jpeg

That's a nice little machine. Shades of The great Saint Trinian's train robbery...:jester:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Do you think that your other half will fall for that line?

TBH I don’t think she cares - her ex had a bit of a gambling habit so I think little boxes turning up in the post is probably a relief!

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice little machine. Shades of The great Saint Trinian's train robbery...:jester:

Yeah I couldn’t resist it…I think Modelu make a crew for this also.
I have no idea if one of these made it Middleton Top; I imagine taking one down the 1:14 at Hopton would feel like an Alton Towers ride. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Just now, JustinDean said:

TBH I don’t think she cares - her ex had a bit of a gambling habit so I think little boxes turning up in the post is probably a relief!

That's infinitely preferable to debt recovery agents (or similar persons who also have convictions for extortion and GBH.) turning up on the doorstep that is likely to have been her previous experience.

My other halfs ex was just a narcissistic bully. 

I may have scared him a bit.

6 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Yeah I couldn’t resist it…I think Modelu make a crew for this also.
I have no idea if one of these made it Middleton Top; I imagine taking one down the 1:14 at Hopton would feel like an Alton Towers ride. 

Or the mine wagon chase from Indiana Jones and the temple of Doom.

It certainly wouldn't have been troubled by any of the curves.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

That's infinitely preferable to debt recovery agents (or similar persons who also have convictions for extortion and GBH.) turning up on the doorstep that is likely to have been her previous experience.

My other halfs ex was just a narcissistic bully. 

I may have scared him a bit.

Thankfully for her, and their kids, it didn’t get quite that bad, with the bonus that he’s sorted himself out and is actually an alright bloke. Don’t even get me started on narcissistic ex’s…I’ve had a good run of them !

• Friendly/supportive 2

Ah, well that ties down your modelling period a bit more - in fact to 2nd August 1966, just before lunchtime, when this happened.

HNI134.jpg.8563b3e5527b9b2466003c2a567f9455.jpg

Photo - With thanks to Tim Jeffcoat

If I remember correctly, the loco (D3778) may have been allocated to Stockport at the time.

This was a one-off trial, which was not repeated, although it's not clear why. Earlier attempts with an ex-LMS diesel shunter were even less productive, as the loco's hornblocks appeared to seize up going round Gotham.

Still I suppose you could run it while no-one's looking. I propose to do the same on Friden!

Regards,

Geraint

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Ah, well that ties down your modelling period a bit more - in fact to 2nd August 1966, just before lunchtime, when this happened.

HNI134.jpg.8563b3e5527b9b2466003c2a567f9455.jpg

Photo - With thanks to Tim Jeffcoat

If I remember correctly, the loco (D3778) may have been allocated to Stockport at the time.

This was a one-off trial, which was not repeated, although it's not clear why. Earlier attempts with an ex-LMS diesel shunter were even less productive, as the loco's hornblocks appeared to seize up going round Gotham.

Still I suppose you could run it while no-one's looking. I propose to do the same on Friden!

Regards,

Geraint

Yep thats the one I’m going to renumber to, along with remove the front ladders. 
This will definitely be a guilty pleasure when no ones there to judge :-). 

Jay

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Yep thats the one I’m going to renumber to, along with remove the front ladders. 
This will definitely be a guilty pleasure when no ones there to judge :-). 

Jay

Ignore the self appointed guardians of what's "right" and ask yourself:

"Whose trainset is this anyway?" ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Ignore the self appointed guardians of what's "right" and ask yourself:

"Whose trainset is this anyway?" ;)

It’s MY bloody train set and I’ll have all the gronks on it I want!

• Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

There is a surefire way to ensure that SWMBO doesn't mind you buying model trains or whatever and that is to be supportive of her blowing her own money on things she likes every now and then. That's her trying to keep out of the shot. 

Of course if she shares some of your interests, it's a bonus!:D

I'd like to point out that we're far from rich, we just don't do credit cards, store cards, modern cars, package holidays or any of the usual stuff. The bike did need some mechanical sorting and cost about the same as an eight year old car.

03000740.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

Back to platelayers trolleys, the cooper craft ones turn up on eBay occasionally for about a tenner.

But given the approximately 5mm diameter of the wheels, what about scratch building something using N gauge wagon wheels, removed from the axles and a wider axle made from handrail wire?

It would be even easier with el cheapo plastic spoked wagon wheels.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back to platelayers trolleys, the cooper craft ones turn up on eBay occasionally for about a tenner.

But given the approximately 5mm diameter of the wheels, what about scratch building something using N gauge wagon wheels, removed from the axles and a wider axle made from handrail wire?

It would be even easier with el cheapo plastic spoked wagon wheels.

I reckon a scratch build is on the cards for this. Looks straightforward enough!

Jay

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, JustinDean said:

So this is entirely @NHY 581’s fault. 

29F9BA5C-8ADC-4A1F-ABAB-0A9E51B2B045.jpeg

I thank you. 

That's rather nice, Jay. 

I think I prefer the Hornby model to the Bachmann job. As PMP mentioned over on the Sheep Chronicles, it's a tad finer in a lot of respects.  

I will look to pick one up in the future but for now the Bachmann examples will do. 

Although, I might have another 03 on the way.................

Warning. Small diesel shunters are addictive. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So there was a good reason the D299 kit was so cheap - the brass fret that usually comes with the kit was missing. Fortunately I had a fret with W irons in my spares box from 30 years ago, when I’d just started dabbling with suspension on wagons. A bit of minor surgery to the underside of the body print and these slid in. A pair of 51L Models split spoke wagon wheels completes the build. This is now added to what is becoming a very large amount of wagons to be painted. 

Jay

2F404AF6-20BF-43DB-82E5-6C34A31AB9CC.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Second kit knocked up this evening is another RCH 5 plank from a Parkside kit. I’ve got into the habit of slimming down brake gear with a fresh scalpel before attaching to the underside now. I also had some turned buffers in the spares box and added the brake coupling rod. These small details along with using Slaters finer 3 link couplings I think make quite a decent wagon. 

Jay

0D12C826-8883-44BE-A297-5D1A17F63CAF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very neat job. Slater's couplings I presume? 

I think that I will have to dig a few more out!

Yep the Slaters ones - definitely the best looking 3 links and hooks I’ve used so far. 

22 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Yep the Slaters ones - definitely the best looking 3 links and hooks I’ve used so far. 

Likewise, and I find that the springs are light enough to actually work, even when you only have a couple of wagons in tow. Others have springs twice as heavy and might as well be rigid.

• Agree 1