The Tyne dock Consett thread.

A 'torpedo wagon' train designed to transport molten metal from Middlesbrough to Consett steel works:

Molten-Metal-003.jpg

Molten-Metal-004.jpg

John

With the Hawkesworth Dynamometer Car behind the lococ, it would appear.. When did these trains run? I presume it was to cover for the blast furnaces at Consett being out-of-use, rather than as a long-term replacement? If this was the case, how long did the furnaces last after re-building, given the plant shut in 1982?

This is obviously a test run; the service trains had a couple of 'Merry-Go-Round' hoppers between locos and first torpedo, then another pair between each torpedo (I think they sometimes had three torpedos) and between the last torpedo and the 'van. Presumably, this was intended to spread the load on bridges.

Edited by Fat Controller

I believe that this particular train ran on August 7 1969.  You are correct that the 'service' trains ran with three of the torpedo wagons but I've not been able to find out how long they ran for.

John

I believe that this particular train ran on August 7 1969.  You are correct that the 'service' trains ran with three of the torpedo wagons but I've not been able to find out how long they ran for.

John

The bogie tipplers for traffic from Redcar to Consett (did they work anywhere else in the NE, such as South Bank or Hartlepool?) were introduced in 1972, and went to the Mendip quarries in 1982, so they must have been in use for the best part of 3 years. They must have made some major upgrades at Consett for it to take that long- what a waste to close it so soon afterwards.

Consett, by then, used Basic Oxygen Convertors to make steel and they have to be charged with hot metal. It was a modern steel plant and the whole works still part of the BSC's medium term plans. So, with their blast furnaces planned to be off blast for rebuilding, either the whole plant shut down, or hot metal was brought in. Cargo Fleet's steel plant was open hearth and could be cold charged, so it could spare hot metal from the blast furnaces, hence this service. I believe it ran for several months.

The refurbished blast furnaces had a little over ten years in service, there were new/rebuilt plants within the BSC which saw far less in those years.

Bit about the ladles themselves here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12668-rolling-stock-10/

So are we talking ore tipplers or molten metal here chaps? Surely molten metal wouldn't be transported from the Coast all the way to Consett?

P

Not in the tipplers clearly but that is exactly what the torpedo wagons were used for, here is a pic of one of the wagons unloading at Consett:

Molten-Metal-006.jpg

John

• Like 8

With the Hawkesworth Dynamometer Car behind the lococ, it would appear.. When did these trains run? I presume it was to cover for the blast furnaces at Consett being out-of-use, rather than as a long-term replacement? If this was the case, how long did the furnaces last after re-building, given the plant shut in 1982?

This is obviously a test run; the service trains had a couple of 'Merry-Go-Round' hoppers between locos and first torpedo, then another pair between each torpedo (I think they sometimes had three torpedos) and between the last torpedo and the 'van. Presumably, this was intended to spread the load on bridges.

Is the signalbox in the distance Carr House East, which is now at Beamish?

• Like 1

A 'torpedo wagon' train designed to transport molten metal from Middlesbrough to Consett steel work

John

First trial run, pics taken on 4th August 1969. Less than a mile from my hoose and I was born about half a mile down the line behind the train.

You'll have seen the prints I have of this train at running through South Pelaw? Can't put them up as they are not my copyright.

No doubt you have been here:

http://www.traintesting.com/torpedo_wagon_tests.htm

P

EDIT: Forgot to say where it was. Alan you should be ashamed... Carr House East indeed...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.7608079,-1.5240762,18z?hl=en

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/6432266943/in/photolist-aNp3Sc-aNp4Hp-aNp49v-aNp3un-aNp4rX-byiqCb

Edited by Porcy Mane

You'll have seen the prints I have of this train at running through South Pelaw? Can't put them up as they are not my copyright.

Yes, I've got a pic of it approaching South Pelaw from Ouston Junction taken from the footbridge at the Washington end but none once it reached the junction itself.

Was just looking at that site this morning after I got the pics.

John

I wonder if drawing are available for the torpedo wagons as I wouldn't mind trying to scratch build one of them...

John

You could try contacting Distington Engineering, as they're still about, as part of TATA, or Cumbria Archives, who apparently have some of their papers.

I wonder if drawing are available for the torpedo wagons as I wouldn't mind trying to scratch build one of them...

John

I've been on it for a few years. After seeing (more like hearing! the train run near to my junior school) the train it stuck in my mind. As soon as the Mopok Dynamometer car was released I bought and built one only to be pretty disappointed with it once I discovered all of its inaccuracies.

If you can get hold of the Hand Book on the Dynamometer car it's a great help and along with your pics from Testingtrains you should be able to build a good  version from a Hornby Hworth 3rd. There was a few modifications by 1969 from the original spec.

As far as the ladle wagon, I've only got as far as the diagram. Springing all those axles, and making all those axlebox/springs has always put me me off and it's a year out of my chosen timescale.

Any help?

post-508-0-69159600-1400077284.jpg

Edit:

Forgot to say:

The "spacer" wagons on the test train where modified 1/503 (CA002A or  B ) or 1/505 (CA004A or B ) or the LMS version brake van chassis. I think your original phots could have been taken by the late John Boyes.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Have a word with Pete Harvey of PPH, he has already done the bogies in etch brass and 3d print for me and should have the drawing somewhere in his files

Beagle1

Oops forgot to mention, Scunthorpe version so only two bogies each end

Looking through my negatives, I found this photo of 9F 92060 on a Consett bound train. I havn't got the date recorded but I think it was sometime in 1966. I'm also not too sure of the location; I have it marked down as Stanley. Perhaps some of you experts can enlighten me on that?

It was in the transition stage from steam to diesel and we thought we better go and get some photos before steam ended. Having travelled from Carlisle as a pillion passenger on a Triumph, I can remember that the weather was not kind to us! We saw four 9Fs that day (one on ore empties heading from consett) and D5180 on a full ore train.

post-19218-0-46064100-1400103159_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm also not too sure of the location; I have it marked down as Stanley.

I think you're stood about here.

54°51'52.8"N 1°43'29.6"W

Cut and paste the coordinates into google maps. For Some reason the direct link takes you to Russia!

P