The Tyne dock Consett thread.

What a great photo. You can only imagine the noise they would have been making on the climb up around the hillsides.

I'll repeat my request here that I made on your layout topic, John: has anyone ever seen any photos of the Washington to Ouston Junction section of the line after it re-opened in the 1970s for the ore trains from Redcar terminal? I've seen a few photos of Biddick Lane crossing (both in steam days, and PinzaC55's photos of it with a railtour crossing in the Eighties) but that's about it.

Cheers,

Arp

I'm not an expert at these things, but I've had a tinker with the levels on that photo and it's come out like this. Maybe someone more skilled with Photoshop or similar could do a lot more with it!

Arp

post-1044-0-53902200-1400170185_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good job Arp.

I got these notes from the photographer:

"One aspect of the Redcar-Consett Ore trains, and the sole reason why I was able to record the passing of the last one, was that they consistently ran early. The crew diagrams and train working were packed with spare time. The driver was allowed enough time to prepare two 37's on depot, then light diesels to Tees Down stagings, attach the set of the previous working from Consett, work to Redcar Ore Terminal, load the same set, work to Consett, slip work onto the set off the previous working, then return to Tees Down stagings, detach the set then light to the shed. But, in practice, they walked across to Tees Down Stagings, relieved the inward working from Consett, at Redcar Ore Terminal they detached their set and took one that was already loaded, as there were more than enough sets of wagons to do this, then ran round at Washington in such a short time that I find it hard to believe that a brake test was conducted. To this end they ran amazingly early, right to the last. When I photographed 6K60 it was approximately 110 minutes early! The light was fading fast, and another ten minutes or so would have been too late. I was mightily relieved when 6K60, which was timed to leave Redcar at 1825, appeared around the sweeping curve from Annfield Plain just in the nick of time."

John

• Like 2

An interesting story from during the track lifting process:

31102 ran away from Pelton on Sunday 29th September 1985 as a result of the brakes leaking off, after the crew left it unattended in the mistaken belief that their relief had arrived. It ran away and finished up in Tyne Yard, causing mayhen en-route and considerable damage to 37072. That's the last time that a 31 worked a tracklifting train on the branch.

It's a distance of 3 miles or so from South Pelaw to Tyne Yard but 31102 had five empty, unbraked high capacity track carriers to give it a push! It was badly damaged. The impact speed was estimated to have been somewhere between 50 and 60 mph. The loco at the other end of the train that day was 45015.

• Like 2

Can anyone (Porcy perhaps?) tell me exactly where Carr House East and Carr House West signal boxes were located - I know they were either side of Consett station but haven't been able to find anything to nail down the locations...

John

Not sure about Carr House West, possibly 411004, 550534. It isn't named on the map like East SB is.

Good spot - the map does have it marked as a Signal Box so I guess that must be the one.

Thanks again.

John

Not sure about Carr House West, possibly 411004, 550534. It isn't named on the map like East SB is.

You're spot on. Funny most folk can't work out were Carr House East was.  West box photographs were published regularly, normally taken from the station over bridge.

Good pics of it in snow in Whittles book and David Allans.

Also this Brian Stephenson pic this has been published in a few periodicals down the years.

https://flic.kr/p/6ecRRc

P

I don't suppose anyone has (or has seen) photographs of Shield Row (West Stanley) or Beamish stations amongst their unpublished collections?

Pictures of the station goods yard areas and buildings seem thin on the ground.

Edited by Paul-2mm

I don't suppose anyone has (or has seen) photographs of Shield Row (West Stanley) or Beamish stations amongst their unpublished collections?

Pictures of the station goods yard areas and buildings seem thin on the ground.

Have a look through this blokes pics.

Might be a good start. A good few Armstrong Trust Pics in his photostream.

7991913855_d740231aa7_c.jpgBeamish Station. 4 by chrisy76115, on Flickr

Google is your friend.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5

Google is your friend.

P

It seems like that leaning telegraph pole next to the signal box (as faithfully recreated on Blackgill!) has been there, leaning, for an awful long time! It's still there in the 1960s photos in that Flickr stream too!

Arp

It seems like that leaning telegraph pole next to the signal box (as faithfully recreated on Blackgill!) has been there, leaning, for an awful long time! It's still there in the 1960s photos in that Flickr stream too!

Arp

You'll probably have a similar lean on, come 3.00 am this coming Sunday morn... ;)

P

Google is your friend.

P

I think I may have seen all the photographs currently online, I suppose I was hoping someone might have an odd photo amongst their collection that showed these stations in the background that they didn't think was worth publishing online.

Edited by Paul-2mm

And for the reasons outlined by Pinza.

Cam Camwell took a photograph of V1 7657 at West Stanley on the 4:23 Newcastle>Consett>Blackhill (Via Annfield Plain) on the 2nd August 1948.This photograph should be available from the SLS archive sevice as they were bequeathed the Cam Camwell Collection.

Likewise The Armstrong Photographic Trust has a few pics of West Stanley. One that I know of taken by Jack Armstrong is of 63467 being banked through the station on a mineral train. If you can get to the Blyth show Davy Dunn does a slideshow of Armstrong pics and he "Does requests."

P

I've known for a while that the bridge over the line at Leadgate next to Carr House Junction (pictured below) was to be demolished but I've just found out today that, rather than replace the bridge, the road is to be diverted along the old trackbed...

Bridge-at-Leadgate.jpg

John

• Like 1