GWR conflats post war

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone direct me towards any post war photos of GW Conflats please?

i have just discovered a stash of Unpainted Dapol body’s for which I want to paint and add new chassis.  However I can’t find any suitable photos to work from.  Having looked through Russel (wagons and loads) and Atkins (the earlier smaller edition) all I can find are 1930s images).  I want to see if the lettering was simplified in the 40s as it was on most other stock.

Edited by The Fatadder

Hi Fatadder,

Just looked through these:-

Atkins Beard Tourret 1998 edition 

Russell wagons appendix 

Russell GW wagons

No photos with any later variants of livery, only difference I can see is some later ones have XP branding above RHS of chain pocket.

Will

22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Can anyone direct me towards any post war photos of GW Conflats please?

i have just discovered a stash of Unpainted Dapol body’s for which I want to paint and add new chassis.  However I can’t find any suitable photos to work from.  Having looked through Russel (wagons and loads) and Atkins (the earlier smaller edition) all I can find are 1930s images).  I want to see if the lettering was simplified in the 40s as it was on most other stock.

Cambridge Custom Transfers offer a sheet of decals for BR ex-GWR conflats (sheet BL101). I don't know for certain and I may be making a leap of faith, but I would guess that they have produced transfers to the correct style of lettering, I know the propriotor's interest is in BR days .

Might be worth enquiring?

Pete.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I think you might find some in here:

freight-loads-book-russell.jpg.23c2add4724059d1f78e7bd1dcf82b96.jpg

You would think so, however few photos are dated and all have the italic script for Tare weight which I understand was replaced with regular script in the later wagon livery.   What id does show (on a 1940s dated photo of a pair of conflats used as runners with a long load) was that the earlier livery was still present on conflats in pretty good condition (hinting that not many may have needed repainting maybe?)  

What it doesnt explain is why HMRS decided to include Conflat lettering in their GWR sheet, which indicates to me that there most likley was another livery variant (unless the HMRS transfer is a work of fiction)

At any rate I will continue hunting for something suitable, 

In the mean time I have found a source of transfers for what I believe is the earlyer livery (there is no photo) from POW Sides.  So will aim to get an order placed soon should nothing else turn up.

11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Italic script for tares was found on some wagons throughout the BR period.

Paul

As stencils had taken over for most lettering, I suspect the sign-writers saw it as last chance to show off their handiwork. A lot of industrial fleets retained Italic script as well; a friend's father was a wagon-painter and letterer at Morlais Colliery until the pit shut.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not just a chance to show off their abilities, for skilled sign-writers it was almost certainly quicker and easier to paint the tare, which would have been different for every vehicle, by hand than to get out the relevant individual figure stencils. Rule number one of traditional railway work - do the job the easiest way (providing that that was safe, of course).

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2020 at 14:53, Star-rider said:

Cambridge Custom Transfers offer a sheet of decals for BR ex-GWR conflats (sheet BL101). I don't know for certain and I may be making a leap of faith, but I would guess that they have produced transfers to the correct style of lettering, I know the propriotor's interest is in BR days .

Might be worth enquiring?

Pete.

If I offer it it will be, to the extent that my extensive research permits, accurate to prototype.

However, though not actually stated, I get the impression that the OP is looking for late (1940s) GWR markings for CONFLATs - which I don't offer.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Hi,

I've just had another look in Atkins Beard etc. and realised that diag H10 conflate were all built after the livery changed. There is a picture of 36692 (plate213) and the livery is:

36692 LH end of the floor edging

G above LH axlebox on floor edging (not the 4", but as large as possible)

To be retained... and Chain pocket... on the side of the chain pockets italics

XP WB10-0 on top right of chain pocket

W above RH axlebox (as G)

12 Tons Tare 6-? Italics at RH end of floor edging

The XP legend would only go on diagrams H7, 8 & 10 as H6 is 9' WB and H9 non vacuum.

I also looked at other low (no) sided vehicles and found similar liveries on Bogie Bolsters - that code changed in 1943.

Hope that helps

Will

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2020 at 08:29, The Fatadder said:

In the mean time I have found a source of transfers for what I believe is the earlyer livery (there is no photo) from POW Sides.  So will aim to get an order placed soon should nothing else turn up.

Here's a picture of the POW sides conflat transfers.

Will

20200510_184718.jpg

• Thanks 1