RMweb

Where to find cheap 1st generation DMUs

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Replica Railways offer a low profile power unit which may suit some conversions. Office probably closed during lock down however.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/

Can confirm Replica are open for business - have had mail order from them in the last week

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You will HAVE to repaint any Lima you get. You cannot model a 117 DMU without a repaint.

Silver Fox DMS conversion kit OR a donor DMBS is essential.

I use the removed brake windows to resize the front ones.

You would also need more than one of them.

My high density DMUs are @ £12 for kit, £24 for glazing, plus paint, plus roof vents. plus modelling time.

A 3 car Lima based one can cost up to £90 (prices going up for Limas) so you may just decide stuff it buy a Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

The 128 From Heljan is worth getting as well.

119 is also a lot of work, mine is also up to arond £150 of bits.

As to 101, try finding them, I still want two more, cannot find any as a decent price. Need to look at DC kits or Lima, Bachmann seem odd and Triang too short.

I have bought 4 recently from other suppliers, essential things

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Fox-BR-Class-117-DMU-Conversion-Kit-For-LIMA-DMU/202969497005?hash=item2f41ecbdad:g:7e8AAOSw3g5cmWFY

Ebay just stick bids in on any Lima 117s and build what you can.

3 x 3 car would be a good start.

here is one with a converted DMS and cheap flush glazing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-OO-GAUGE-3-CAR-DMU-BR-QHITE-BLUE-LIVERY-HAS-BEEN-FITTED-WITH-LIGHTS/362987309015?epid=23037924705&hash=item5483bac7d7:g:UygAAOSwL7lenuwD

1 hour ago, MJI said:

You will HAVE to repaint any Lima you get. You cannot model a 117 DMU without a repaint.

Silver Fox DMS conversion kit OR a donor DMBS is essential.

I use the removed brake windows to resize the front ones.

You would also need more than one of them.

My high density DMUs are @ £12 for kit, £24 for glazing, plus paint, plus roof vents. plus modelling time.

A 3 car Lima based one can cost up to £90 (prices going up for Limas) so you may just decide stuff it buy a Bachmann.

And it's worth adding that a decent spray paint job will lift any Lima item a very long way indeed, as the mouldings in general are very good.

I noted 5 Lima 117 parts going for £46 on ebay yesterday, 4 unpowered trailers and 1 power car. Even with some bits to do it up that's a lot less than £250 - £300 for the new Bachmann one when it appears.

An outfit called "Worsley Works" (just put into Google) do Brass sides that can be used as overlays on Lima 117's to make various of the longer chassis DMU's. Look out also for old Craftsman kits on ebay which work in the same way.

John.

• RMweb Premium

You need to bear in mind that if you go down the Lima route (and that's pretty much the only cheapish option) the models will have "pizza cutter" wheels which are not likely to run well on code 75 track - should be OK on code 100.  

2 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

You need to bear in mind that if you go down the Lima route (and that's pretty much the only cheapish option) the models will have "pizza cutter" wheels which are not likely to run well on code 75 track - should be OK on code 100.  

How about Hornby track?

Guest Half-full
10 hours ago, MJI said:

I cut my modelling teeth on Lima 117's, converting the DMBS into a DMS, and converting a DMBS into 121 & 122's.  Got to be the best part of 35 year ago now!!!!  When I was 15.  Which means Im 50 now.  Sht...

• RMweb Gold

The Lima wheels are not good lookers and will need a lot of cleaning attention; they are made of some sort of brass/steel alloy that picks up crud easily and spreads it around the layout.  The LIma 117 consists of 2 correct vehicles, and was sold as a 3 car set with 2 DMBS; you need an MBS and the Silver Fox kit mentioned by MJI is the best solution here.  Many years ago I bashed one into a 116, which also required a new trailer, but used the LIma mech and underframes.  It still runs and I give it an occasional outing on excursion work.  But I can't recommend this, it's a lot of work and I destroyed 5 Lima vehicles to make a 3 car set (they were to be had very cheaply in the late 80s).

It's 'cheap and cheerful' in the way that early Lima was, but responds well to a bit of working up.  New buffers alone make a huge difference.